The sanba,is a good site for VW info.
Don't forget shoptalk as well.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,046
It's thesamba.com

I have a 2L, single Weber 44 IDF in my 1974 Thing. Stock transmission. I live pretty close to you, so I would assume that we have the same weather, traffic patterns and driveability needs. The motor I have is plenty strong to propel me down the freeway, but since there is no choke, it can be cold-blooded to start.

It's the green camo one
Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 23,881
That's nice Groop..

My build is totally dictated by funds. If Money was no object I'd trick out the Bug with good suspension, IRS Bus Trans and a motor muy better than $2500 will allow for..

But such is life...can't have everything ya want and the WIFE "wants" more than I do. I have an older RV, a plated 2005 KTM 525 and a 2004 1K V-Strom plus the bug as the adventure machines and a 420 Horsepower daily driver..

Far more shinny stuff than I ever thought I'd have...

Taking the case into Pierside Parts (use to be Vee Dub Parts -VW America "asked" all the aftermarket companies to stop using "VW, Bug and Beetle") next week ...Jeff the manager is going to see how much motor my budget allows for...As this progresses I'll update the thread...

Any all ya'alls got heads, carb(s) counter weighted crank ya don't need post back... used parts are cheaper than new ones if they are in good usable shape...
Old 03-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #19
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs View Post
. Will keep the compression low so I can run 87 octane. Had a friend who's an off-roader and fabricator said keep the single ports, 30-PICT and go to 1915cc's with the piston and cylinders...run a 110 long duration cam. Torque monster and real good gas mileage...

Not sure, most everyone else says DP's and that means new carburation..
Listen to your friend, he knows his crap.

SP heads are much better at handling heat and high load conditions (eg: a heavy Baja at low revs up a hill or dune) than DP heads. Best way to get torque is throw a crank in it. Stock Solex and CB Performance centrebranch works really well, adding a SVDA dizzy will cool it better and use a lot less fuel. 110 cam is too big, a 1835 with SP heads will rev clean thru to 5000 with only good valve seats and chambers, a good exhaust (like a cheap Trimil Baja or 2-tip) and 1.25 rockers using a STOCK cam, a 110 cam will only kill the torque under 2200 not add HP until over 4500 (and even then only a few HP). I wouldn't go out as far as 94mm bore personally, with SP heads I'd prefer to run a 76mm crank and 90.5mm "B" pistons (1955cc vs 1915cc), less chance of cracking the cases and better cooling.

Never thought I'd say all this crap on ADVRider!

The other option is to do what everyone else is telling you to do, then put up with soggy throttle response (coz it's only a little engine.......), crap fuel economy compared to other 4 cylinder vehicles (coz it's got really tall tyres........), and limited heat capability and engine life (coz after all it's a 50yr old design........).

But until you've tried a well-built big cc SP motor Superstocker, you'd never know there was anything amiss with everyone elses cookie-cutter VWs.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #20
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
Listen to your friend, he knows his crap.

SP heads are much better at handling heat and high load conditions (eg: a heavy Baja at low revs up a hill or dune) than DP heads. Best way to get torque is throw a crank in it. Stock Solex and CB Performance centrebranch works really well, adding a SVDA dizzy will cool it better and use a lot less fuel. 110 cam is too big, a 1835 with SP heads will rev clean thru to 5000 with only good valve seats and chambers, a good exhaust (like a cheap Trimil Baja or 2-tip) and 1.25 rockers using a STOCK cam, a 110 cam will only kill the torque under 2200 not add HP until over 4500 (and even then only a few HP). I wouldn't go out as far as 94mm bore personally, with SP heads I'd prefer to run a 76mm crank and 90.5mm "B" pistons (1955cc vs 1915cc), less chance of cracking the cases and better cooling.

Never thought I'd say all this crap on ADVRider!

The other option is to do what everyone else is telling you to do, then put up with soggy throttle response (coz it's only a little engine.......), crap fuel economy compared to other 4 cylinder vehicles (coz it's got really tall tyres........), and limited heat capability and engine life (coz after all it's a 50yr old design........).

But until you've tried a well-built big cc SP motor Superstocker, you'd never know there was anything amiss with everyone elses cookie-cutter VWs.
+1 listen to this guy, great advice here. The other option is a 74mm crank and machined thick wall 88mm jugs, not sure if any of that is still available in these "bigger is better" days. I also stick with basically a 100 profile cam or better yet just leave it stock, I live in the desert and want my engines to run cool, get decent fuel mileage and last, I actually prefer a stock single port 1600.

marksbonneville screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 07:32 AM
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #21
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Interesting thread, nice looking bug. Subscribed

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #22
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

Pulled the motor Saturday and took it to Jeff at Pierside Parts. He's the manager and helping with parts, build ideas and assembly of the long block.

RIMCO will be doing the machining as needed. Jeff kept a credit on the books for me from July 2011. I bought an EMPI 30 PICT-1 from him and when installed it leaked fuel at the throttle shaft. Build quality with Empi carbs are suspect, he knew this returned the Carb. When I returned the Carb I told him the motor was coming apart and I was going to rebuild but it would be a year at least till I wanted to return to the project.

He said he'd keep the credit on the books and come back when ready. Well sure as shit he was true to his word and I have $200 credit going into the $2500 I'm starting with... I mentioned the 1915 with single port heads and 30 PICT and he said nope, others in the shop agreed also not the way to go..

Told him I wanted a single carb set up for a variety of reasons. He asked If I had interest in Fuel Injection?

Said the kits are complete and it can be run with a single center throttle body. He knows the supplier and the kit is built to conform to the motor specs after we determine that... An interesting idea I'm entertaining. Need to learn more.

Pic of a lonely trans in need of cleaning, new motor mounts and a rebuilt motor bolted up....

Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #23
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
FI is the way to go!!! There are megasquirt kits out there.... It would make an easy conversion with Mexican FI kit.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #24
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
FI is the way to go!!! There are megasquirt kits out there.... It would make an easy conversion with Mexican FI kit.
I would want it for reliability, fuel economy, drive-ability in various altitude and atmospheric conditions... sounds intriguing.

Help to modernize an old vehicle. I'm going with the highest Amp/Watt Generator available and I also hope to modernize the vehicles electrical system.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #25
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

so you are doing the FI? Mario at shoptalkforums sells the component kits:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewto...?f=66&t=141598

http://www.diyautotune.com sells the megasquirt...
Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
so you are doing the FI? Mario at shoptalkforums sells the component kits:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewto...?f=66&t=141598

http://www.diyautotune.com sells the megasquirt...
Not sure... I have to learn more..Jeff at Pierside said he has a supplier, might be the same person.

Thanks for the links..
Old 03-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #27
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

It will probably be the same person.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #28
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

Took the cases to RIMCO and just found out the Center Main bearing is collapsed.
Son of A......

So. Any all Ya'all got a motor? What I need is more money.. The correct amount of Money makes this an easier project....

It'll come together... to be continued...
Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #29
d mc gee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I've got a complete SP motor, shipping would be killer though. Aren't there piles of old VW's in Cali?

01 1150 GS
84 R100RS
74 XL350
d mc gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #30
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by d mc gee View Post
I've got a complete SP motor, shipping would be killer though. Aren't there piles of old VW's in Cali?
Yeah, in many paoples garages in Santa Cruz.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: