ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #2326
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
That's not much hype.
It's kind of over the top for vaporware, though...
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #2327
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 2,211
If they're only about to begin endurance testing, I can't see any bikes being available until this time next year, at best.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #2328
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, Ct.
Oddometer: 829
3?

If I read that blurb from Birmingham correctly, Motus has a staff of three,as of July '12, with plans to expand to 15. At least, that's what they told the city of Birmingham to get a $75,000 rent subsidy on their new digs. A "projected" staff of 15 does not sound like they are planning on a very big production run.15 guys can only turn out so many bikes per week, even if they work like Thai 13 year olds.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #2329
Croak
Studly Adventurer
 
Croak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC/Is-Swieqi, Malta
Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
If I read that blurb from Birmingham correctly, Motus has a staff of three,as of July '12, with plans to expand to 15. At least, that's what they told the city of Birmingham to get a $75,000 rent subsidy on their new digs. A "projected" staff of 15 does not sound like they are planning on a very big production run.15 guys can only turn out so many bikes per week, even if they work like Thai 13 year olds.
Thing is, it's just assembly and fluids, I doubt there's anything actually manufactured at the B'ham location. The frame and motor/trans are coming out of plants in Michigan and are likely already mated and pre-wired before they're shipped to Alabama (and probably run-tested there as well). If there is run-testing done in Michigan, there's a good chance the suspension, chain, tires, dash package, and basic controls go on there as well.

So really, all the Motus employees might need to do is mount the bodywork and lighting, tidy up the looms, mount the brakes, slap on the VIN plates, do QC inspection, and crate 'em up for shipping to dealers.
__________________
2003 Aprilia Tuono
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2013 Kymco Agility City 200i
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #2330
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,459
Bump.

So what's happening in Daytona?

__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #2331
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,815
Three Employees

Three employees?
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC 2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB hard tail bobber
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A Z50 clone monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #2332
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer
 
X1Glider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Thing is, it's just assembly and fluids, I doubt there's anything actually manufactured at the B'ham location. The frame and motor/trans are coming out of plants in Michigan and are likely already mated and pre-wired before they're shipped to Alabama (and probably run-tested there as well). If there is run-testing done in Michigan, there's a good chance the suspension, chain, tires, dash package, and basic controls go on there as well.

So really, all the Motus employees might need to do is mount the bodywork and lighting, tidy up the looms, mount the brakes, slap on the VIN plates, do QC inspection, and crate 'em up for shipping to dealers.
Some trmendously wild assumptions, don't you think?
__________________
Bob Krzeszkiewicz - 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 Harley Davidson FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
X1Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #2333
Croak
Studly Adventurer
 
Croak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC/Is-Swieqi, Malta
Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
Some trmendously wild assumptions, don't you think?
Not really, 15 people in an office park in Alabama tells you a lot about their logistics chain.

We already know Katech is going to be doing the heavy lifting for the motor assembly, and Pratt & Miller are doing the gearbox, frame, and even the bodywork fabrication:

Quote:
Rather than managing multiple vendors for fabrication, machine work, carbon composite bodywork, and electronics, Motus was able to use Pratt& Miller’s in-house capabilities to get their motorcycles engineered, built, and iterated efficiently.
And:

Quote:
Pratt & Miller Engineering will be responsible for manufacturing the 4130 chromoly steel space frame, transmission, and composite body work. The rolling chassis will be integrated with the Motus KMV4, the world’s first direct-injected V4 developed by Katech Engines of Clinton Township, Michigan.
http://prattmiller.com/engineering/c.../cs_motus.html
__________________
2003 Aprilia Tuono
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2013 Kymco Agility City 200i
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #2334
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Oddometer: 1,763
Still...?

I can't believe you guys are STILL talking/dreaming/making assumptions about a motorcycle that doesn't exist for public consumption....
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #2335
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
What happens if the bike itself is actually a loss leader item for Motus. What happens if the bike is simply a demonstration platform for the engine with the intent to sell the motors as products for race cars and after market motors for under powered cars like the Miata?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Then I hope GB locks this cluster of a thread and casts it down into 'Needless Dickery', where it belongs...



Bump...
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #2336
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer
 
pmelby's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: West Central MN
Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
We already know Katech is going to be doing the heavy lifting for the motor assembly, and Pratt & Miller are doing the gearbox, frame, and even the bodywork fabrication:
Katech built the prototype V4s, it appears that these folks have refined the motor for production:


....it helps to read the whole thread

cheers,
melby
__________________
Melby
'11 KTM 690R
'09 G450X
'85 K100RT
pmelby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:25 AM   #2337
FR700
Heckler™©®
 
FR700's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 5,868
__________________
I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
FR700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #2338
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelby View Post
Katech built the prototype V4s, it appears that these folks have refined the motor for production:


....it helps to read the whole thread

cheers,
melby
That's a piece of art.
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #2339
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
That's a piece of art.

It's an engine. Other than the fact that it is new and clean it resembles every other v push rod piston engine of the last 50+ years. Not sure how you see it as "art"
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #2340
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gadget Girl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: North of ATL
Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

It's an engine. Other than the fact that it is new and clean it resembles every other v push rod piston engine of the last 50+ years. Not sure how you see it as "art"
Really? Umm, for starters I see the offset valves.... Did you read the list to the right of the pic? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the other pushrod engines have those features. That's why they're showing it off as a new concept. Because it IS. Why else would a HotRod magazine extol its virtues? And that was even before the upgrades.
__________________
'06 VFR 800 over 60K miles
'00 SV 650 over 60K miles

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014