Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #2296
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Since selling my Goldwing, I now have $8K to spend on one. There are a lot of them for sale here, it's just a matter of narrowing it down. I really want mid controls, and have to have tubeless tires. And it has to be in decent shape, not all chopped up and turned into a bobber. And from page one of this thread, a "grandpa" seat would be nice. I would also "prefer" a carb, and solid mount engine (I am looking for "character") but lack of those would not stop me from buying it. Also no dealers. With the sales tax here, and the dealers doc fees, that would add at least $1000 to the price.
Weren't you already set on an unobtainable Honda, the CTX? It was "the bike for you", what happened? It will start every day and it won't give you enough excuses to stay at home?
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #2297
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,642
I had pretty much narrowed my choices down to a CTX700 or a Yamaha Majesty (both new) as just that. Comfortable, reliable, but bland and boring transportation My Vulcan 750 currently provides that, with some degree of character thrown in, but not nearly enough. The Sportster was an emotional decision. I decided I wanted character, and as much of it as I could get. I am tired of bland souless machines. So I'm scrapping my "responsible" plans, and going after what I really want, not necessarily what I need, but what I want. It's time to stick my neck out and "live a little" while I can still ride.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #2298
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Since the new Yamaha garbage can came out (they probably call it a Bolt because it was designed by a NUT) I'm feeling even better about my quest for a Sportster. I found I fit just fine with either forward or mid controls, and decided for my purpose it doesn't matter if it is a 1200 or an 883. Tubeless tires are an absolute necessity though.
That's funny
Old 03-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #2299
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Since the new Yamaha garbage can came out (they probably call it a Bolt because it was designed by a NUT) I'm feeling even better about my quest for a Sportster. I found I fit just fine with either forward or mid controls, and decided for my purpose it doesn't matter if it is a 1200 or an 883. Tubeless tires are an absolute necessity though.

Admit it! Yamaha did you a tremendous favor by giving you one more thing to complain about via the Bolt(tm). You'd rather complain than eat supper.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #2300
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Yamaha?

maybe off road but not for my cruiser, thank you .
Old 03-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #2301
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post

Admit it! Yamaha did you a tremendous favor by giving you one more thing to complain about via the Bolt(tm). You'd rather complain than eat supper.
You seem to forget I had nothing but praise for the Honda CTX700, while everybody else was complaining about it. Bland and boring as it is, it also appears to be a comfortable, reliable, and affordable way to get around on 2 wheels, and it is definitely not a copy of anything.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #2302
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
The Sportster was an emotional decision. I decided I wanted character, and as much of it as I could get. I am tired of bland souless machines. So I'm scrapping my "responsible" plans, and going after what I really want, not necessarily what I need, but what I want. It's time to stick my neck out and "live a little" while I can still ride.
Go for it, everyone needs to make mistakes in their life, so they can learn those lessons for themselves.

You sound like someone that romanticizes things that you have not experienced. A nice solid mount, carb'd sporty will teach you why things progressed, instead of staying the same. Why not go kick start and magneto too?

I can say these things having owned and ridden many miles on a '40 Knucklehead chopper. Romance and Character are a fools way of justifying a crappy bike that doesn't always start or run. 100% of the time someone buys a bike for romance, it's a mistake. Even if they won't ever admit it, they still know it in their heart.

Save your money for bills, gas and reality and take this lesson from this thread, it's not the bike, it's the rider. Your vulcan can take you places you haven't even imagined yet, but you should go to. You don't need to experience gummed up carbs and numb body parts from a paint shaker sportster to grow, you just need to actually ride places and see things. The bike is just a bike. It's where you go, where you ride, what you see and the people you meet that make it rewarding.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #2303
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Go for it, everyone needs to make mistakes in their life, so they can learn those lessons for themselves.

You sound like someone that romanticizes things that you have not experienced. A nice solid mount, carb'd sporty will teach you why things progressed, instead of staying the same. Why not go kick start and magneto too?

I can say these things having owned and ridden many miles on a '40 Knucklehead chopper. Romance and Character are a fools way of justifying a crappy bike that doesn't always start or run. 100% of the time someone buys a bike for romance, it's a mistake. Even if they won't ever admit it, they still know it in their heart.

Save your money for bills, gas and reality and take this lesson from this thread, it's not the bike, it's the rider. Your vulcan can take you places you haven't even imagined yet, but you should go to. You don't need to experience gummed up carbs and numb body parts from a paint shaker sportster to grow, you just need to actually ride places and see things. The bike is just a bike. It's where you go, where you ride, what you see and the people you meet that make it rewarding.
It's not like a '40 knucklehead chopper and an evo Sportster is a direct, or even a fair comparison...

And to each their own, but the rest of it is pretty much bullshit too, as far as I'm concerned. I have other bikes, and have had many others still, but riding anywhere and everywhere on a bland, boring bike, to me, isn't very satisfying. It is what it is of course, and yeah, the ride itself can be fun, but there's more to it for me

With that said, I've never ridden a solid mount and mine is a rubber mount. But, my BMW, and many inline fours I've ridden, have more objectionable vibes than the rubber mount. As far as carbs go... I've owned exactly two FI bikes and tons of carbed bikes. Nothing against the FI bikes, but I'm very comfortable with carbs. If something goes wrong I can rebuild a carb in my sleep. Not so with a FI system, not that they screw up too often. But if they do you may have to take it to the dealer to hook up to a diagnostics computer to get it sorted. A carb can be fixed in my garage with minimal hand tools. Also, when you modify a FI bike, you better plan on another $300-$800 for a tuner as opposed to $10 worth of jets. Granted, carbed bikes do require a little more preventative maintenance if you leave it in storage for long, or else you will end up with varnished float bowls and clogged jets. Best cure for that is just to ride it and not let it sit for long periods of time. Otherwise, if you live in a place that requires storage during the "off-season", a little stabilizer in the tank, and drain the float bowl and you're good to go when riding season picks back up.

In the end though, everyone has different hot buttons and no one else can tell you what YOU will find satisfying. If we all liked the same thing there'd be exactly one type of bike on the market. Buy and ride what makes you smile!

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #2304
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
You seem to forget I had nothing but praise for the Honda CTX700, while everybody else was complaining about it. Bland and boring as it is, it also appears to be a comfortable, reliable, and affordable way to get around on 2 wheels, and it is definitely not a copy of anything.
You had nothing but praise for several bikes, and then ran away from them soon before they were available. You were heels over head for the Suzuki Porker 250, then for the Honda 500, then for the CTX700, now for a Sportster? You'll probably figure out a way to make your dream Sportster to include parts made of unobtanium.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #2305
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:

(snip)
You compared a 40 knucklehead with a sporster ? .... have you owned or ridden a sportster?
I owned a 2002 Sportster for ten years. It was my everyday bike, commuted on it everyday, it's my touring bike .. on weekends I went to my favorite twisty road and had fun there. I never have any big problem with my sportster. It always started when I pushed the starter button, it's really a reliable bike. Otherwise I would've sold it years ago. I still regret selling it ... the only reason I sold it was because it's seldom ridden after I got my monster.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #2306
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
It's not like a '40 knucklehead chopper and an evo Sportster is a direct, or even a fair comparison...
True enough.
Quote:
In the end though, everyone has different hot buttons and no one else can tell you what YOU will find satisfying. If we all liked the same thing there'd be exactly one type of bike on the market. Buy and ride what makes you smile!

That last part, very well said. I would only add, don't buy a bike just because you think it's cool or looks good. Buy it to ride. If it makes you giggle in your helmet, who cares what anyone else says?

I'm simply poking fun at the guy's desire for a bike with 'character'. Ignoring the factors that make it less likely that you'll need to learn how to fix it is not necessary a good thing. Yeah, I've owned a lot of carb'd bikes too. And generally not had issues with them either. Though people sometimes tend to mess with Sportys more than the UJMs when it comes to bolt on mods, cams, etc.

I guess I've simply learned to appreciate modern bikes that just start and don't break and are comfortable to go anywhere, any time, regardless of the weather, (barring ice). I don't know his issues or desires beyond what he's posted here. Many people would be pretty happy to have a bike at all.

Which bike suits your needs more? The one that gets ridden, or the one that sits in the garage?

And yes, I have ridden a few sportsters, of different eras. From right side shift to rubber mounts, but never liked them enough to buy one. It's a nice minimalistic, naked bike that is a pretty good urban combat commuter, but has rather short legs for trips, imho. All in all, the '02 Yamaha FZ-1 I had for a year was far better than the sporty for fun rides and long days in the saddle going places. That bike did admirably well for a run up the coast to Port Angeles, a ferry ride to Victoria, B.C. and a run up the length of Vancouver island, camping there before the ferry ride to Prince Rupert and subsequent ride to Hyder, Watson Lake and back down to the states. And several other trips and day rides.

In the end, it got traded in for a bike with longer legs, hard luggage and more weather protection. But those were my needs.

Not trying to push your buttons, but the Sporty is a great second bike, that gets ridden less than the other bike(s) in the garage. But while you can ride it as a primary bike, it's not really all that good at anything in particular.

IMHO, it's silly to long for a bike with character, instead of building some character for yourself by actually doing things and going places.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #2307
MotoRacerGabe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I rode my sporty today, about 80 miles. I went out to the highway outa town and took some curves. I got it up to triple digits and it was surprisingly comfortable and had more to go. With the mini apes, I had to hold on to the grips pretty damn tight. Before the superbrace I couldn't take it over 80 without it starting to wobble.

I did the ignition, coil, and the horn relocation last night and love the look. I like being able to look through the frame. Getting rid of those plastic covers under the tank makes it look soooo much better.

notice in the pic, I have forward controls AND mid pegs on the bike. I have many foot positions and when going fast (without a backrest) it helps my back to have my legs on the mids rather than up front.

I haven't ridden long distance with the mids, I will see how they help on the long ride I'll be doing next month (about 650 miles each eay).
MotoRacerGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #2308
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
True enough.

That last part, very well said. I would only add, don't buy a bike just because you think it's cool or looks good. Buy it to ride. If it makes you giggle in your helmet, who cares what anyone else says?

I'm simply poking fun at the guy's desire for a bike with 'character'. Ignoring the factors that make it less likely that you'll need to learn how to fix it is not necessary a good thing. Yeah, I've owned a lot of carb'd bikes too. And generally not had issues with them either. Though people sometimes tend to mess with Sportys more than the UJMs when it comes to bolt on mods, cams, etc.

I guess I've simply learned to appreciate modern bikes that just start and don't break and are comfortable to go anywhere, any time, regardless of the weather, (barring ice). I don't know his issues or desires beyond what he's posted here. Many people would be pretty happy to have a bike at all.

Which bike suits your needs more? The one that gets ridden, or the one that sits in the garage?

And yes, I have ridden a few sportsters, of different eras. From right side shift to rubber mounts, but never liked them enough to buy one. It's a nice minimalistic, naked bike that is a pretty good urban combat commuter, but has rather short legs for trips, imho. All in all, the '02 Yamaha FZ-1 I had for a year was far better than the sporty for fun rides and long days in the saddle going places. That bike did admirably well for a run up the coast to Port Angeles, a ferry ride to Victoria, B.C. and a run up the length of Vancouver island, camping there before the ferry ride to Prince Rupert and subsequent ride to Hyder, Watson Lake and back down to the states. And several other trips and day rides.

In the end, it got traded in for a bike with longer legs, hard luggage and more weather protection. But those were my needs.

Not trying to push your buttons, but the Sporty is a great second bike, that gets ridden less than the other bike(s) in the garage. But while you can ride it as a primary bike, it's not really all that good at anything in particular.

IMHO, it's silly to long for a bike with character, instead of building some character for yourself by actually doing things and going places.

Granted, and I couldn't see myself having the Sportster as an "only bike" either. And I love my R1150Gs for those longer, "lost riding" days. But, for the way I find myself riding most often, (short local back road rides) the "character" of the Sporty just makes me grin when I start it up in the garage. If planning a 600 mile day in the mountains, like you, it probably wouldn't make me smile as much as something more practical and comfortable for long distance, in my case the GS. But, every time I ride an inline four appliance, whether it be a short spin or a long haul, while it may be an efficient form of transport, it just leaves me feeling BLAH afterward. My Duck, S1, or Sportster never leave me feeling that way because of the visceral experience that they impart.

Then there's the looks thing. I spend a lot of time just hanging in my garage, or just staring at my bikes at stopping places along my ride routes... I derive a lot of pleasure from a bike that I find attractive or visually interesting. An ugly, or otherwise visually bland bike just doesn't do it for me no matter what other desirable traits it may have.

But, as I said earlier, everyone has their own hot buttons. If it is just the look of your bike that makes you smile... if it's that indefinable trait some refer to as "character"... if it's the efficiency, comfort, or other factors that make it "THE" ride for you... then just enjoy it. It's all about the joy they can bring, regardless of what your definition of "joy" may be...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #2309
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
But, as I said earlier, everyone has their own hot buttons. If it is just the look of your bike that makes you smile... if it's that indefinable trait some refer to as "character"... if it's the efficiency, comfort, or other factors that make it "THE" ride for you... then just enjoy it. It's all about the joy they can bring, regardless of what your definition of "joy" may be...

Ok, point made.

The duc I had was fun in it's own way, (750SS), and I do like the desmo, (650 Cagiva Allazura too), but it was a jail cell waiting to happen with it's comfortable 90 mph lope.

I actually like that butter smooth, turbine like acceleration of the inline fours. I've had a bunch of twins, and have a parallel twin now, but still miss that smooth power. (though the bark of the twin is better on the exhaust end)
Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #2310
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
You had nothing but praise for several bikes, and then ran away from them soon before they were available. You were heels over head for the Suzuki Porker 250, then for the Honda 500, then for the CTX700, now for a Sportster? You'll probably figure out a way to make your dream Sportster to include parts made of unobtanium.

Yeah, but this is the one.
He was just sitting there, drinking his coffee and eating his muffin, and he just decided it. Just now.