Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #226
lookatdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I was interested in the Triumphs but no dealers were offering test rides and the dealer where they were carried was a Yamaha, Victory, Ktm and Triumph dealership. The staff there was uninspired to sell bikes and so I left.

No better luck at the Honda, Suzuki, Kawi dealership. No test rides, said the zitty kid with the flat-brimmed baseball cap and low riding pants. A real pro.

Went to a BMW dealer and not only did they offer to let me test ride some bikes, they were worried that I had not ridden them far enough to get a real feel for them. Told me to come back when I had more time to go for a longer ride. Cool people.

Went to a Harley dealer and when I expressed interest in a Street Glide, the salesman pushed it outside, gave me the keys and told me take it for a spin.

Didn't intend to buy a Harley, but fell in love almost immediately. Fast foward three weeks and 1000 miles later and love it even more.

It looks good next to my 2001 Suzuki Bandit S and my Honda CRF450R. My Bul Frontera, Montesa VR and CZ 250 are in an outbuilding.

I think I'll pick up a BMW GS in the next couple years to round out the stable. Oh yeah, and a Gas Gas trials bike.

I like motorcycles. period.
lookatdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #227
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatdirt View Post

No better luck at the Honda, Suzuki, Kawi dealership. No test rides, said the zitty kid with the flat-brimmed baseball cap and low riding pants. A real pro.

You nailed it. That's been my experience at nearly every Japanese-make dealership I've been in the last few years.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #228
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatdirt View Post

I like motorcycles. period.
This.

I have deliberately avoided test-riding a Harley, because I'm pretty sure I'll love it, and obsess over it until I have one.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #229
natez1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post

I have deliberately avoided test-riding a Harley, because I'm pretty sure I'll love it, and obsess over it until I have one.
That's what happened to me, had a Concours that was great, but had the itch for a big twin.One test ride and it was all over.Sadly the pipes that made the bike sound good on the test ride got ditched for something quieter.
natez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #230
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by natez1 View Post
Sadly the pipes that made the bike sound good on the test ride got ditched for something quieter.
Really, the stock pipes were too loud???

During my test ride, both Bonnie and I commented that the Ultra seemed far quieter than my Buell with a stock pipe. We have full face helmets and for the whole ride, kept the shields up.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #231
Shooter1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post
I'd keep a close eye on my girl after leaving her alone with a HD salesman for 35 minutes!!!

LMAO!!!, I saw that comin'!!!
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '01 640 Lc4E
Shooter1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 AM   #232
Tilter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
From a guy that rides a Valk, that's rich.

Umm, seriously? Maybe I'm misinterpreting this comment but a Valkyrie is an awesome blend of power and surprising agility - regardless of its size.

What's funny is that since reading this thread I've decided to trade my 1900cc stratoliner s in On a fat bob. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. It's going to cost me a little bit to catch up to the strat in terms of power but no amount of money could have caught the strat up to the Harley in terms of "soul" for me. I would have really like to have gone with a thunderbird storm but the triumph dealers all offered me $3000 less on the strat while offering the same relative deal on their own used bikes.
Tilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #233
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilter View Post
I've decided to trade my 1900cc stratoliner s in On a fat bob. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. It's going to cost me a little bit to catch up to the strat in terms of power.
Not as much as you might think. A Race tuner and mapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilter View Post
I would have really like to have gone with a thunderbird storm but the triumph dealers all offered me $3000 less on the strat while offering the same relative deal on their own used bikes.
Another few weeks I will have both available and this would not be an issue.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #234
Tilter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Not as much as you might think. A Race tuner and mapping.

Another few weeks I will have both available and this would not be an issue.
Yeah but it would cost me $1,600 to ship both ways, lol. Ad the truth is that in the end I'd love my Storm but still miss not having a Harley.

But how do I get from 60ish and 90ish Torque to 80HP at the wheel and 108 TQ with a SERT and a good map? I really hope you are right lol!
Tilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #235
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 687
my harley experince

I never had any intrest in harleys till 2008. I'm 64 tears old and have spent most of my 50 riding years on a few british and lots of jap bikes. loved every one of them. bought a dyna in 2008, liked it so much I wanted a bigger touring model so I bought road king classic in 2009. best bike I ever owned and most reliable . I do a lot of long distance touring. It now has over 90,000 miles on it and still rides and runs as good as it did new. Don't get sucked into the harley bashing, trash talking bull. They are fantastic bikes and and I have never meet a gal that didn't love to ride on one. I would not hesitate to leave out tomorrow on a trip anywhere in the country. The only thing I ever change is the seat and the detachable tour rack and backrest, depending on the ride. I like the sportier street glide look around town. 50 miles to the gallon and 15,000 miles on a set of tires is also nice. There is so much farkle stuff avaliable you can customize it to most anything you desire it to be. You won't go wrong buying a harley if you know anything about the true adventure of motorcycling and touring.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #236
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 687
harley touring

21,000 miles in 38 days. just me and the dog. spent 8 days with friends and family and camped the rest. this is all we carried the entire trip.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #237
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
My hat's off to you, sir. There's no way I could average >550 miles a day for 38 days.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #238
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,383
If you want a Harley, GET it. I have never owned one, but a few hundred miles on a couple of Sportsters convinced me that I did indeed want one. But I kept putting it off, kept buying something more sensible. But no more. I just sold a Honda 2 wheeled car, and am going to get my Sportster. I'm pretty sure I won't regret it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #239
toastmuncher
I be new round here! Ello

Oddometer: 668
Firstly, cakeeater, that a cool username you got there.

I have a few bikes, guzzis/ducati etc, Every few years I get the need for a big twin, Ive only had evo's, but I do really love them. I live in the wye valley, so twisty roads tend to mean that the limited cornering ability mean I own it for a matter of weeks before its gone. I had a 97 dyna superglide back in 2004, my wife was pregnant so I bought it to tour on two-up so the speeds were a little more sedate and she was a bit more comfortable. My wife rides a 1100 California, she ended up riding the dyna as it was low and VERY easy to handle, she rode it up to 7 1/2 moths when I got her a klr650 because she was beginning to worry about the weight, she rode right up to two weeks before 'calfing'.
Anyway, dont have a pic of that but here is a couple of our evos.

1993 dyna custom, tooo low,great engine but for me...... fucking useless but great on the motorway.

1984 glide, some idiot had put a massive S&S on a stock motor, I tried to get a stock carb but couldnt find one at the time and she ran like crap, great bike though, my lad, 6 at the time I guess, loved it on the back, I got hard up and it had to go. I really miss that bike.

This is my current harley, a 1993 dyna custom, its in great shape, 14000 miles from new, a few gremlins but no biggie. My wife said it looked gay when it arrived, hence the clear disgust. But stripped it all off, god I HATE all that live to ride shit, and it looks good. It goes really well too.

My main issue is that Im a little big for harleys, I may get some longer shocks, 14'' maybe, which should help with cornering clearance too. Here I am looking a little cramped. Although the forwards help, this is usually the reason they dont hang around for long. I do feel I may spend a bit on this one though, it feels nice and worth the effort. How small does it look here though.
Guzzi 700 V7 details-mystery
Matchless g3ls 350 54, Ariel 650 huntmaster 56. IBA 40526
toastmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #240
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Got mine:

a '99 for $3200 bucks. Now where else are you gonna get this much FUN for $3200? Besides a used DR650 I mean ... really, one needs both .