Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #1876
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
'

Sheesh...HD can and will continue to do what they know to be best for them. As I delete all my words you have nothing to fear. The point merited the analogy, that you care not for it matters little if at all.

It was and remains praise for Honda in paying homage to their own history. Your pull quote removes that part to make your point.

The Toad
Fair enough, and I take your point as stated in your reply. I guess we can split hairs whether what they do is best for them, but is also maybe all they can do in any case. I guess my point was that it's easy to clone something like a Harley because there's really nothing cutting edge about it. I get it that the traditional tech is attractive to some people. Nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. I'm just more attracted to companies like Honda or Yamaha that can innovate to produce whatever they put their minds to no matter the obstacles. That can draw on their own history, or as you say, someone else's history. That can build something like the CB1100 (or the Bolt) just because they feel like it. Sure it offends some of the purists out there, but bikes should be judged on their merits as motorcycles, not on whether they pass some sort of historical purity test. I understand it's just my own point of view, but my eyeballs start glazing over when people start droning on about 'heritage' and 'history' etc. Honda has as much heritage as anyone as far as I'm concerned, if not chronologically, then definitely in the realm of innovation. If they (or Star) decide to spit out some cruisers to cover that part of the market, who gives a shit? On the other hand, I wouldn't give a damn if the only cruisers out there were Harleys. But it's not up to me. Or you.

Of course, Honda is building the CB1100 to mine their own history, but do they need to? Absolutely not. Am I glad they are? Hell yes. Rambling reply over...
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #1877
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I personally think OldRoadToad's comments are valid to this conversation. While HDs are not my thing, they epitomize the success that can be found by playing off of one's heritage. I have to admit to admiring the success that they've experienced by doing so.

Whether or not any of the Japanese makes are capable of cranking out cruisers is not the point here. The fact that Honda has proven that it is capable of digging back into its own past and is able to create something that is new yet still totally in line with its own heritage, and instantly identifiable as such, is the real story here. Whether it will be successful from a sales standpoint remains to be seen.

I would imagine that a similar amount of buzz would be created if other Japanese makes were to tie into some of their respective iconic past achievements. Such as if Kawasaki were to build a true retro Z bike, or Yamaha were to build a retro RD/RZ bike (provided some serious headway was made with direct injection, low-emission 2-stroke engines) for example.
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #1878
Monkeyshines
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
Playing on your own history instead of stealing another's? How novel.

If HD were to make a fake Yamaha, I would belittle them as much as I do those finger puppets over at Yamaha/Starley. But they are too smart for that. Yamaha however is staffed with licentious libertines.

Honda did well to market their own storied history with the new CB1100. I will not be buying one as it does not meet my needs for range due to an insufficiently sized fuel tank. It is beautiful and all the more so because it looks exactly like a Honda should.

You know...A Honda.

The truth is palatable to those with a taste for it. This Honda is unmistakably Honda.

The Toad

Checked the CB out at the Chicago show, the booth's crowds were mostly congregated around that one bike. There's no doubt the designers were genuinely in touch with the company's history, it's actually uplifting to watch the videos where they talk about working on the bike. That team should be given it's next project pronto.
Monkeyshines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #1879
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 15,962
This (and the Bolt thread) is interesting, imho, in the sense of how a bike manufacturer balances heritage with innovation.

eg. HD dropped the XR1200, afaik. The VRod bombed in the USA. I find that a bit sad.

eg. Yamaha dropped the MT-01, brought out the Bolt. I also find that sad.

But it goes right back to consumers, at the end of the day. I read an interview with Simon Warburton, head of production for Triumph, and he said the biggest shackles on his team were riders themselves.

Not Bloor, not 'the suits', but what the public would actually purchase, when it came to signing on the dotted line.

He said, amongst consumer groups, bikers were notoriously conservative.

We like to think we are rugged individuals, Warburton's hint is that we are the biggest sheep of all.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #1880
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post

But it goes right back to consumers, at the end of the day. I read an interview with Simon Warburton, head of production for Triumph, and he said the biggest shackles on his team were riders themselves.

Not Bloor, not 'the suits', but what the public would actually purchase, when it came to signing on the dotted line.

He said, amongst consumer groups, bikers were notoriously conservative.

We like to think we are rugged individuals, Warburton's hint is that we are the biggest sheep of all.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #1881
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post

Whether or not any of the Japanese makes are capable of cranking out cruisers is not the point here.
Not here, yessir, that's correct. Started a minor riot over in the Bolt thread, however.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #1882
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Very true, moreso in the USA, where bikes are often bought purely for pleasure and are more a fashion/lifestyle statement rather than something that is to bought to fulfill a practical function.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #1883
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
I plan on picking up a National Cycle Plexifairing 3 for my bike for winter and Touring

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/Classic.shtml

I already have a deflector screen for summer riding

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalog...orScreen.shtml
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #1884
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 859
The classic is basically a Harley batwing, but clear. Should give good protection.
I had a Deflector screen on both a BMW R65 and a Honda Magna 750. It deflects the wind off the chest but regardless of how I adjusted the angle, I still got buffeting of my helmet. Hopefully you can get it adjusted to your need. tomp dd50
dirtdreamer50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #1885
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
The classic is basically a Harley batwing, but clear. Should give good protection.
I had a Deflector screen on both a BMW R65 and a Honda Magna 750. It deflects the wind off the chest but regardless of how I adjusted the angle, I still got buffeting of my helmet. Hopefully you can get it adjusted to your need. tomp dd50
I used both of them on my 750 Nighthawk and liked them both. One of the mounts broke off on the Plexifaring 3 but it was about 10 years old so I pitched it. I mount the deflector screen low so as to just keep the wind off my chest, yet keep my head in clean air.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #1886
gore-tx OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
Anyone has pics to post from Daytona Bike Week? I know Honda displayed the bike there... Anyone got a test ride?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #1887
vettex2
Banned

Oddometer: 1,472
just bring back the CBX
vettex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #1888
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettex2 View Post
just bring back the CBX
Oooof! How's it feel to want...?

I can see it...a nekkid cbx-1300 or 1600. Shaft Drive, retro late 70's/early 80's bike. Air and Oil Cooled, of course. 6-Speed Trans, hydraulic clutch, and 6-6 exhaust.

I don't think we'll ever see it. But, I would buy it.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #1889
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
I plan on picking up a National Cycle Plexifairing 3 for my bike for winter and Touring

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/Classic.shtml

I already have a deflector screen for summer riding

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalog...orScreen.shtml
I had a National Cycle Plexifairing on my CB650. It provides good protection, but it may affect performance at higher speeds. My front end used to start wobbling pretty serious-like at about 85 mph. I treated it as a safety feature as in, "Okay. Time to slow down."
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #1890
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I am just sitting here with random thoughts between blows in the Bolt thread. I have nit picked the CB to death and really dont have much to really hang my hat on as far as complaints go. And then I thought about this.

I wonder how the lighting is on this thing? That seems to always be a problem with me. Isnt the bulb like a 55/60watt? I think that is what my Sportster was and it was pretty pathetic. I replaced it with a 80/100 and ran it on high beam all of the time. I finally burned up the connectors in the bucket after about 5K miles. It did improve the lighting though.

Lighting is one of those places that everybody seems to scrimp on. The absolute best light I have ever seen is the LED headlight from HD. Its like 4 or 5 hundred bucks though. The company that makes it wont sell it to anybody but HD. That way, they can mark it up and bypass the middle guy. But man, what a difference this thing makes according to pictures and testimonials from the Sporty guys. I cant believe these things are not more available.

Am I the only one that has thought about lighting? I live where deer are everywhere and you have to really be on your toes at night in certain areas.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote