Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #31
Reprobate OP
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,290
Well, this turned out to be a different discussion than I had in mind, but then, it often does.

My opinion on 'vespa clones' is not that intimate - I once rode a Bajaj P200E that looked the part, but the quality and workmanship was shoddy. I'm a member of the Amsterdam Vespa Club and I talked with some members about the clones, and while they all admitted that the clones outwardly resembled the vintage vespas, they couldn't be compared to the Italians.

I prefer the older P/PX Vespas over the 4T Vespas because I happen to like the older engines. Perhaps also an emotional tie - I had quite a lot of adventures on the P/PX Vespas.

If someone loves their vespa clone, I won't detract from their enjoyment by drawing too many comparisons with the Vespas - they've become quite fashionable here, so they're incredibly expensive compared to their non-Italian counterparts, which are cheaper and probably worth their money.
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #32
Reprobate OP
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
How about some pics of this stable?

Sounds like a nice collection and the Internet is much more enjoyable with pictures.
My solo ride:

BMW R1100GS, bedlinered, 30 liter tank and customized to the hilt with Hyperpro compression shocks and a whole list of other goodies.

I put over a 100,000 kilometers on the Black Brute, a lot of it on secondary and unpaved roads all over Europe. I can effortlessly ride 800 kilometers of backroads a day on this motorcycle. It never let me down.

The Family Car:

Moto Guzzi Mille GT with EZS sidecar, modified with rally seat for the children. Doesn't need a parking permit, can be parked on the sidewalk. Plus it's really great to ride a hack.

The Moped:

Vespa PX200E motor scooter, fitted with universal child seat, for urban transport, and taking our 6-year old son to soccer practice. Light, dependable, cheap, great mileage, basically a moped with a more powerful engine. Ideal for snow and sleet, can be ridden with two feet on the ground, can be picked up easily. Pre-dented. Transport racks both front and rear. Has electric starter, but can also be kickstarted if battery is low. Has spare tyre.

Featured model on my book covers, since my protagonist rides one.
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #33
103sp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Old 03-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #34
MotoRandy123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I wish we had those "universal child seat's" over here. I think the lawyer's are
keeping them out of the US...
MotoRandy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #35
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
You can order them from Europe and for a while there was one US supplied who carried a scooter child seat. I don't know if they still is or not. My kids could reach the passenger pegs before they were passengers on my scooter. I did use one of the front mount bicycle seats you see in Europe on my bicycle when they were younger. I've never been a fan of the back mounted kid's bicycle seats. Harks back to my bad hip which is one reason I ride a scooter instead of a motorcycle, swinging that leg up and over can be an issue on occasion.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,556
You can't beat a real vintage Vespa, but the prices of good ones were out of my range, and I would constantly worried about it. I have owned a bought new Genuine Stella for about 3 years now, and had a blast on it. With the stock engine (already blew one top end) it is NOT good for touring, they tend to be about the same quality as a Royal Enfield, and since fixing mine, I'm taking it a bit easier. I've already talked to the guys at a local vintage Vespa place (who had no problem with the Stella, but wouldn't touch a new TNG Vespa) about what I need to build a bulletproof engine. That will happen eventually. It will be built for reliability, not performance.

The electrics are also pretty shabby, my starter switch failed in less than a week, I removed it and rewired the worthless kill switch to be a starter switch. It has worked fine ever since. But electrics can also be upgraded. The body/frame of a Stella is solid and should last forever, unless destroyed in a crash. Everything on it is Vespa, so there will always be parts available for it. It may need a little more work than the real thing, and a whole lot more than a new design TNG scooter, but it is fun to tinker with, and like I said, parts and accessories will always be there. I paid an even $3000 for mine OTD, put whitewall tires and a brown seat on it (it is that avacado color they had in '09) and it is gorgeous. And despite the difference in quality, it does have all the heart and soul of a vintage Vespa. It has that wonderful 2 stroke sound and smoke, the clunky shifting, the quirky handling, the buzzing, squeaks and rattles, it's all still there. Absolutely not refined at all. Just don't expect it to be reliable out of the box. It is made in India.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote