User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
FASTnSPEEDY OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Lifeproof handlebar mount - cutting to allow charging while mounted

I have the lifeproof handlebar mount for my iPhone and love it. I never use the garmin anymore now that I have the iPhone.

The main problem I have with the iPhone is that the battery only lasts ~4 hours using the GPS non-stop. The mount doesn't allow the charging door to be opened while in the mount, but I was considering taking the dremel to it to change that.

Has anyone done this? If so has it caused breakage issues down the road?

http://www.amazon.com/LifeProof-Bike...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt
FASTnSPEEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
jprovence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Get an iphone 5... It does allow the door to be open. joking aside. You should be fine to whittle a bit of material off for clearance to open the door.
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
theDoktor
Husky Racer

Oddometer: 125
I just picked up an I-phone 5 with the Lifeproof case and am planning on getting their mount. You will DEFINITELY need to run power to the phone- it sucks down battery power big time when in GPS mode. I found a nice USB power tap for this on another thread. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=851403&page=4
If you have an I-phone 5, you can either use the Apple power cord & deal with the extra 2 1/2 feet or so of extra length to connect to the USB receptacle or get a shorter aftermarket cord. So far the shortest one I've found is 2' long. (Need about a 6" length) The 5 also uses a new connector- USB to Lightning. It is not the same size or configuration as the more common B size, although they look somewhat similar. Those with the 4 or 4s have a larger selection of power cords.

What are you using for your GPS apps? So far, I've found "Greatest Roads", a motorcycle-specific GPS app along with Google maps. They need to work together. Haven't had a chance to play with either yet.
theDoktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I have lifeproof case for my iphone 4 and I'm thinking about getting a mount for it. I use the iphone for gps too. I thought about getting lifeproof mount, but after reading this thread I think I'm gonna skip it and instead get a RAM mount with RAM spring loaded phone craddle holder or their x mount.

BTW, for gps app, I use Tomtom for iphone. I want to be able to use the gps without cell phone signal, the phone bill gets expensive with continuous map use, so I picked tomtom cause I can have the map stored in my phone.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
I mounted the belt clip for my lifeproof case for my 4 to a ram mount and cut out the charging area and used it for a two years no problems. I now have the 5 and modified my 4 mount to fit the 5 case ( cut in half and put aluminum plate to make longer) as they didnt have a belt clip for the 5 and it's still works great. prior to the mod for the 5, I could even rotate the phone to landscape and the belt clip held it there even through heavy off road. I found this to be much better for the nav apps. here is a pic of it. 10hr+ rain storms plugged in no water in case!
Sorry the phone isnt there it was taking the pic
Docktor I use the navigon app with the maps saved on phone plus motion x for real offroad. I also carry a handheld but have yet to require it. also I have a delorme inreach which gave me topo maps along with the service.

i have another iphone 4 clip that I dont think i will ever use. here is a pic of it cut and with the mount.

all i did was take a hacksaw blade and cut it out sides first (front to back of clip) then across the back to make enough room(just a little on each side.
hope this helps.

funinthesun screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 12:50 AM
funinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Thumb

Thanks for the pics! I bought the bar mount a couple weeks ago but haven't used it yet. I completely forgot to check to see if a charging cable would fit. It's now dremel time!

Dave
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

I just used a hacksaw blade. Took about 5 min to make the cuts.
Don't have too much fun
Old 03-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
All done! Nice and clean with rounded corners. Power tools rock!

And I modded the case a little to allow the door to open just a bit more than it used to. Now inserting the cable is easier with less fumbling. I like making things work better!
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
FASTnSPEEDY OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
A quick update: Last week I cut the mount similar to what funinthesun did above and it looks like it'll be good. I did 200+ miles of off-road this past week and a lot more paved fun and it held up through it all (including a little crash).
FASTnSPEEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep I've gone down at 10mph or so at least 20 times in the dirt with mine. No problems. I've had this setup on 2 bikes and over 50,000 miles. The only problem I have is the phone overheats in the summer when in sunlight. I've found that unplugging it and getting the case wet every so often stops this from hapining. Ya waterproof case.
Also I have never had to unplug my phone in a rain storm when mounted behind the windscreen. But that will be a risk for anyone who try's it. I have the bestbuy warranty on my phone so I have taken the risk. So FYI many miles and downpours and never a problem.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #11
PaperBoy
Dig that Crazy Beak

Oddometer: 341
Thread Revival

I have the iPhone 5 handlebar mount, but liked the position I used to use with my Ram X Mount, above the instruments, not on the handlebars. I had one of those pieces with a ram ball on both ends (like a little barbell). I used my grinder and took enough material off one of the balls to allow it to fit the ball socket on the back of the motorcycle cradle (same as the one on the car suction cup cradle). Then I mounted it using ram parts.

And yes, the iPhone 5 has a cutout so the power cord can connect. I find the ATT branded lightning cords are actually a tighter fit and less chance of moisture getting in. Still wouldn't want to dunk in a bucket of water, but a light rain, not as worrying. Like it was designed for it, if it was rubber like a stopper it would be perfect. I found the cheap aftermarket cords (not ATT or OEM Apple) give me a this cord not designed for... type message. Some of the cheap ones even make the phone start acting nuts, like someone is remotely changing screens, pressing buttons, etc. Never had that problem with the iPhone 3GS or 4, of course I didn't have that problem with the 5 until the last OS upgrade.

I also didn't like the fact that the car mount suction cup kept coming loose in the cold this winter. So, having an old piece of a Nokia phone cradle already screwed into the side of my dash, I mounted a strong magnet to that piece, pried off the suction cup and mounted another magnet there. It never comes loose now and the cradle's arm keeps if far enough away from the magnet that I'm not worried about it interfering with the phone (if that's possible).
BMWMOA #142415
Valley BMW Riders member "Bigfoot"

PaperBoy screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 08:53 AM
PaperBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:53 AM   #12
imnothng
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
FYI that the lightning cables have a little proprietary chip in them. The cheap knockoff cables "fake" it, but apple is changing something in software updates to try and stop the knockoffs from working.
imnothng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:11 AM   #13
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
I'm selling on of these mounts if anyone is intrested.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=945612