User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,675
Antartica

I just returned from Antartica and ships leave Ushuaia Argentina and there are ships leaving there almost daily but not sure you can bring a bike onto Antartica. Might be able to have someone with a zodiac bring it. Highly unlikely though due to strict laws about conservation issues.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #17
Stkmkt1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
I've looked into doing just such a thing and may be able to do so in a couple of years if I can find the time. The really big battle is the Treaty of 1959. Seems everyone is afraid of letting your actually "ride" a motorbike there anymore. Pretty much every bike that has been there in recent years, whatever that is , have been without fuel, oil or even a battery. The girl mentioned above, covered her bike with oil and it sat on the deck of a cruise ship. Then it was hoisted down and taken to land where she posed with it on the rocks. No gas, oil, or battery. At least that is what I was told.

I was told that pee in the snow is treated as hazardous waste down there, so any chances of a motorcycle being ridden are few and far between.

That being said, I have been told that once I'm ready, I should be able to make the trip and "ride" the bike. My plans are to ride the bike on the airstrip where I land. As others have said. There really are no roads to speak of. You also need to go during summer months. That is December thru early March.

Now when the time comes, will I truly get to ride? Only time will tell. And if I do, it will be a spur of the moment thing with no "official" knowledge that I plan to ride. I been sworn to secrecy on the issue as far as who is willing to take me, how I'm taken there, and even where I will land. So we will see.

Good luck to you in you endeavors to do the same. As you have or will soon see, most people do not want anyone to take a motorcycle to Antarctica. And I fully appreciate their concern. In fact, many will tell you it is actually illegal to do so. And with all the tourist trips now bringing people to Antarctica there is plenty of reason for concern.
Needs: new garage (in planning) Need more room for more bikes.
Stkmkt1 is offline   Reply With Quote