Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #46
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Shit man where's JerryH? he knows all about Harleys and surely could tell us how and why. As well as tell us the big fix too. Well where are ya?
Its because the transmission and swingarm are co-mounted AND soft mounted, and here is the fix http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/bagger-brace/ Its essentially like the subframe connectors on a car. That way when you cross load the swingarm, it doesn't pull the chassis out of true. If you have ever felt that wobble it feels like a hinge right behind the seat.

Which means after you drop another grand or two upgrading the suspension, you actually end up with a decent handling bike (for its size).

.....all of which I went through with that '96.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #47
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianp View Post
California Highway Patrol encountered the death wobble when they were testing and evaluating their two-wheelers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmw6QppXnEY
This video is from 2006. The 2009-after frame doesn't do this from what I've experiened. I ride often at this pace on a 2011 touring frame on very twisty stuff. No wobble. A few years back I rented a 2009 road king for a 5000 mile trip through canada. Fast riding, no wobble.

There will be a slight weave at 80 mph and above when I'm really pushing it, but that's a weave, not a wobble.

I know death wobble. I was seeing how fast a fully loaded vstrom would go (indicated 130) when it started wobbling on a straight road...and the severity increased til it got real scary. Vstrom had 25,000 hard miles...and it was carrying lots of weight up high on the back. Not a good idea.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #48
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Yeah, if I have any wobble its time to start pulling the forks and checking headbearings. That 96 Ultra WAS the last time I felt a bike wobble, and I fixed that.

More like 30 years.

.....oh wait we are talking about Harleys 30 years is about right

I tried this on the way home while riding my CB400F.....nothin.....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #49
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,607
I took a look at the CHP video. Interesting how the bike starts the shakes only in right hand corners.

I was a motor officer for 5 years..the majority of the time spent on Harley's. I routinely rode those bikes until the limiter cut in when trying to overtake speeders on the interstate.

I worked at two Harley dealers for 9 years part time in service. I test rode everything in the touring line up at speed..including several Screaming Eagle FLTR's until they reached their limit.

I'm racing an XR 1200. I've had that bike topped out at Texas World Speedway coming off the banking into turn one.

I've never had a "wobble"...

I don't know a single person who rides a Harley (former customers or friends) who have had the 'wobble issue'

I wonder if the suspension, faulty rubber bushings, weight distribution in the saddle bags and top boxes or tire pressure is a contributing factor.

Badge320 screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 09:29 AM
Badge320 is online now   Reply With Quote