Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #22
a2ronm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by deucestaley11 View Post
Ive been planning a trip across the US for some time now. For those of you with long adventuring experience (weeks at a time), what are some of the items you kicked yourself for leaving behind? Could be clothing, camping gear, survival tools, spare parts, manuals, etc.

(1) my good weatherproof winter gloves, didn't think I would need them with my heated grips, rain covers and spring weight gloves........my heated grips stuck on low setting first day, 3,000 miles from home. I ended up buying a $110 replacement set of winter gloves from a dealer. Now I have 2 pairs of winter gloves!

(2) I too used the cable & lock for stops for my jacket and helmet. My policy was to lock up what I couldn't afford (not in $$'s but time and energy) to loose.

(3) Bike lock and lightweight (Bike Bandit freebie) cover for parking at night. I usually left my cases on the bike at night with the cover it was out-of-sight-out-of-mind.

(4) baby wipes!

(5) Know your tires. Everyone can order tires in you size-"I can have them here on Monday".....finding a shop that has your needed size in stock can be problematic anymore. I ended up spending a Saturday looking for tires when my rear decided that too much tread was a bad thing......I was still 1,000 mile from home. I had replaced my normal pick of 8,000 mile+ tires before my trip with a different brand, they lasted less that 2/3's of what I was used to getting and the wear out caught me by surprise......poor planning on my part.

(6) Pack as light/little as possible, you have to load and unload your "stuff" each day, there are better ways to spend your time.

(7) Zip ties, 1 heavy weight ratchet strap, and a spare clutch cable, besides the normal tool and tire repair kit.

(8) SPOT if you are a solo traveler.

(9) Starbucks VIA instant coffee, (and a mircowave safe cup/bowl if not camping)............better than most motel coffee and keeps your pots, kettles and expresso makers (my first cross county trip companion!) at home.

Did I say pack light.................see (6) above.

a2ronm screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 02:19 PM
a2ronm is offline   Reply With Quote