Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #61
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
All I have to say is that if it had been the other way around, where a citizen had rear-ended the cop, who's fault would it have been?
Good point..

Wet road, night, giving car ahead wide birth. Rider was acting responsibly.

The LEO seems to be the type that has trouble with apologies.

bloochdog screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 03:27 PM
bloochdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #62
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 728
I have watched the video several times now and I can't believe anybody that is impartial would think the rider was at fault. The car on the left was clearly going to come over eventually.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #63
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightventure View Post
I have watched the video several times now and I can't believe anybody that is impartial would think the rider was at fault. The car on the left was clearly going to come over eventually.
That's the way I see it. The rider may have been slightly timid, but prudent is the word I would use.

The cop however...

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #64
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
officer was a dick. undisputed.
officer rearended bike. undisputed.
officer should be cited. undisputed.
rider's actions as a contribution? disputed.

what i'm getting at, is that the traffic was flowing. even slowing to allow the car over to merge, why the heck would anyone come to a complete and abrupt halt? the car was signalling a lane change, but had NOT crossed over the line. sure, i would have slowed so as not to be in the driver's blind spot and to give clearance, but i sure as heck would not have stopped when there was no need. i'm sure that all of you know the value of being aware of what is behind you as well as what is ahead and to the side.

HAD it happened and i was investigating it, YES i would have cited the officer. on top of that ticket, he'd be getting his own little blanket party for making the rest of us look like asses. while most of us value our stuff too much to intentionally risk damaging it, others dont have that same value. thats where i'm going with the fraud statement. people are out there doing this. i've witnessed it first hand as the investigator. while it doesnt change what we as law enforcement does ON the scene... what we observe can affect the outcome later on. i'm not biased towards the officer because i'm one. i'm not biased towards the rider because i'm one. i am and will remain unbiased. what i've given is my observation of it.

i'll just say this. i could end up any day on a ride with any of you. in any case, drinks for all and we'll be merry. we all have our opinions and we're all entitled to them. like me or not, i hate to see any of you guys end up under ANY car. ride safe and avoid the actions depicted in the video. right or wrong, at fault or not, better riding could have prevented it from happening the same as if the officer had not been as close.

ride safe, guys.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #65
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 615
I don't see either how this could be the rider's fault.

He might have been an inexperienced rider and maybe a bit too cautious, but that is no reason to be rearended, especially by a trained professional driver.

Courts hold commercial drivers to higher standards and I think it only fair to ask for Law Enforment to be held to the same standards.

The officer should have recognized the situation and adjusted his driving accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldjäger View Post
Failure to report a TC, violates departmental policy, so the guy is screwed on that one regardless.
I was wondering about that too.

In California (I assume in other States as well), after an accident, it is illegal to decline to exchange insurance information.

So I think it would have been proper to ask for the Officer's information.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #66
Tonk
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Why can't things like this be handeled in a responsible, respectable, professional, humane way. Here's the situation....

Rider gets hit by tailgating cop but no real damage done (in this case).

Cop approaches rider and says.... "I apologize for hitting you, are you OK?"

Rider, seeing that he and the bike are fine says.... "I'm OK."

They talk about the accident and exchange info if need be and move on.

I know getting rear ended is a very serious and dangerous event and many riders have been hurt or killed by this. I'm sure this rider (and myself) learned a lot from this accident and will be a better rider in the future due to this experience. The cop also learned a lesson and will probably stop dicking with his cell phone, computer or wiener in the future and pay more attention to traffic.

Some mandatory anger management for this cop wouldn't hurt either.
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #67
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
Why can't things like this be handeled in a responsible, respectable, professional, humane way. Here's the situation....

I know getting rear ended is a very serious and dangerous event and many riders have been hurt or killed by this. I'm sure this rider (and myself) learned a lot from this accident and will be a better rider in the future due to this experience. The cop also learned a lesson and will probably stop dicking with his cell phone, computer or wiener in the future and pay more attention to traffic.

b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #68
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk View Post

Well said, and how this "should" have played out.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #69
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,541
Deprivation of Rights under Color of Law.
Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242.

This is the Federal statute that fabrication of evidence is prosecuted under, including a fabricated report dealing with a minor traffic accident. Fabrication of evidence, of any kind, is a violation of a person's Fourth Amendment Rights.

It also applies to extortion (as does the Hobbs Act). The motorcycle rider was extorted into "forgetting" the incident happened, under official threat of receiving tickets.

With the right lawyer pushing on this, it could turn very wicked for the officer very quickly.

At the least, the officer will most likely lose his job as this was criminal conduct. The city will probably want to distance itself and make a small settlement payment to the rider to prevent a civil action as well.
Flashmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #70
SlowRoll
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
The cop is a Captain. Somehow, I don't think he's going to be penalized beyond the paid vacation.

I've been rear-ended several times in a car (not on a bike yet). Once, my vehicle was totaled. The other times it was a minor damage or no damage bump.

So, I've been conditioned to react in these types of accidents. I would have definitely gotten off the bike to check for damage. Even with a slight bump I know my FJR would have sustained damage.
SlowRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #71
vivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
It does not matter WHY the biker stopped. The fact that the cop claims he could not stop that fast because of the way the biker applied his brakes is admission of guilt! He MUST be in control of his vehicle at all times and he MUST follow at sufficent distance to allow him to stop without crashing into the rear of the vehicle in front.

Had the officer said he was sorry he bumped the biker instead of becoming aggressive it would be a non issue.

I would like to see that officer suspended. I'm also pleased his face is known to the general public.

It doesn't seem like the bike was traveling very fast. Not being able to stop your cruiser from 20 miles per hour isn't expert driving to say the least.

Vivo
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #72
H e a d N o r t h
(take the high road)

Oddometer: 941
I've been struck from the rear on a motorcycle. In reality, I became aware of screetching sounds with just enough time to blip the throttle and get most of my bike out of the way.
After the contact, I got off the bike, ascertained the damage (none, really), and nodded to the driver (who, by the white of his face and with his family yelling at him had clearly learned he needed to pay closer attention). Satisfied all was well, I toodled on my way with a good 'close shave' story.

I agree, the incident in the video should have been a similar 'non-event'.

But the officer's actions made this something much more significant. I'm the last one to make a big stink out of something minor, but Flashmo nailed it on the head a few posts back with the 'Deprivation of Rights' stuff.

With an attitude like the one the LEO displayed, he needs some serious edumacation on civil rights! Which probably means escalating the issue by legal means.

First Ride...EVER!
Jan. 1, 2012
H e a d N o r t h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #73
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
cop needs to booted. period. not because he had a little accident,not because he wasn't paying attention. because of his obvious attitude problem. imo. a cop should never ever swear at or around a citizen. they should always be able to keep there emotions in check on the job.i 'm not saying it's easy.i would not be able to. but some cops need a refresher course on what the job is. protect and serve,not harass and intimate.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #74
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543

uhhuh... (ok, its nypd, but... just saying)
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #75
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post

uhhuh... (ok, its nypd, but... just saying)
if only that were the prime directive.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote