Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #46
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
I sure don't want Triumph, or anyone else, to remake the old bikes. I want them to make modern, excellent rideing and performing bikes. The bonnie/scrambler/thruxton twins are just not any thing special, or even good. If it was 100lbs lighter with 30 more HP and decent suspension I'd be the first one in line. But at 500lb+, about 50rwhp and low buck suspension, NO THANKS. They do make the street/speed triple, so they could do it????
Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #47
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,404
I would love to be able to buy a new Bonneville EXACTLY like the mid '60s one, just make it reliable. I would be riding a vintage Bonnie right now if they were as reliable as a new bike. When they ran, the old bikes rode and performed fine.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #48
The Kurgan
Firing on one cylinder

Oddometer: 349
With exception of two, all of my previous motorcycles were faster than my current Nighthawk 750. Funny, I don't miss the power, and I appreciate the comfort.
2003 Suzuki SV1000S, 1975 Honda CB500T (two of them)
1984 Yamaha Riva 180
The Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #49
BalancePoint
Mucker

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
I sure don't want Triumph, or anyone else, to remake the old bikes. I want them to make modern, excellent rideing and performing bikes. The bonnie/scrambler/thruxton twins are just not any thing special, or even good. If it was 100lbs lighter with 30 more HP and decent suspension I'd be the first one in line. But at 500lb+, about 50rwhp and low buck suspension, NO THANKS. They do make the street/speed triple, so they could do it????
You'd be talking about an entirely different bike, one Triumph pretty much already makes with the Street Triple. These bikes aren't designed or purchased for that kind of use.
If your assessment stopped at "aren't anything special" you would be objectively close enough. To say they aren't good is nonsensical. Too many people love these bikes for that to be accurate. Sure, the shocks could be better spec'd- although it would be more for a softer ride than for using the sides of the tires more effectively- despite what most people will claim they don't utilize the suspension on one of these bikes as an enhancement to the bike's performance. Sure, the weight is a little higher than you'd like, at least on the Scrambler. But even the Thruxton isn't seriously meant to be a high performance bike in the modern sense. That said, they all get to 80 fast enough to make their owners happy- and mods abound that will make that happen somewhat quicker, but again, the Triumph guy will be happy to show you a bike in the lineup that will scratch that spot.
BalancePoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #50
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,812
Quote:
The bonnie/scrambler/thruxton twins are just not any thing special, or even good.
you know of all the motorcycles there are in the world, I've never once heard a bad thing about modern Triumphs until this very moment. Have you actually ridden one?
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #51
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalancePoint View Post
... "aren't anything special" you would be objectively close enough. To say they aren't good is nonsensical.
+1. We have 7 bikes in our garage that get ridden in rotation. The Bonnneville is more than good.

Hippies never had any credibility for me anyways.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #52
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
I've just wasted a load of money going from a 'slow' bike (KLV1000) to a fast bike like this ;-

And then realizing that I no longer need 150hp to have a great day out. So I got this

I'm enjoy throwing this into the bends as hard as possible at 60mph more than not even trying on the FZ1. Wandering about at 50mph looking at the scenery is much easier than on the FZ1 and the 75mpg is a consideration these days too.

I think you will enjoy a Bonny.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #53
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 506
Quote:

You sir, are broken.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #54
Av8rPaul OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I'm so glad I asked the question...this thread is great. I value all the opinions shared and the occasional touche'.

I went by the dealer in Anchorage who has a T100 on the floor and did a test sit. Was quite pleased with the ergos, leg room was ample and the bars were felt pretty good too. When I told him that I was interested in a mag wheel model, he told me that would never work, I'm too tall, too hard to put longer shocks on it, ho hum...
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #55
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 676
Nah, he's not quite there on that. Drop the pegs an inch, raised the bars the same amount, and get the seat redone and add a inch to that. Easy to do-I did it. No more tubes for me-but that's me. But if you fit the 19" wheel bike it's easy enough to make the 17" bike fit.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #56
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 676
BTW-if you nee to know about the front and/or rear end call Jim Hamlin at Twisted Throttle. Prior to moving to TT he was head wrench at a Triumph dealership for many many years and knows more about them than 99% of the other techs.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #57
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
There is a power difference but you get used to it very quickly, and it would not be a problem unless you like cruising at 80mph. The real difference in them is the handling and brakes. I have a Kawasaki W800 and having had 40-odd years of British twins, I can punt it along through the curves at a very good rate. But it takes a lot of effort, the suspension (on the W800 and the Bonnies) is crude and they buck and weave and can spit you off if you don't have the experience with that sort of handling. I also have a Honda 919 and that simply sails over the same roads with just a nudge of the butt to get it lined up.

Buy one as you'll enjoy it more than you'd expect, but don't take it as read that you can actually ride it hard until you've put a few thousand miles on it testing the limits. Old style frames and suspension are not very forgiving and it is very easy to get in way over your head if you are riding one like a modern sports bike. Once you've got the hang of it then you'll understand the attraction of Nortons, BSAs and Triumphs. There is a real visceral thrill in punting an old twin or a standard Sportster 'on the cam' along a good bike road.

(Should add that I also own a 2007 Sportster with full length suspension; marvellous bikes.)
I know what you mean about the crude suspension and brakes,I had an 07 Scrambler,I do like to whip around the occasional corner and when I got on the brakes hard,not only didnt they stop much but the fork twisted and tried to head the bike off the road from the single disc pulling on it.
The stock shocks jarred my spine like I couldnt believe,just clankers and bangers,forks were the same.
Im not sure I could go slow enough to be happy with low quality components like that.
The footpegs would drag whilst hardly leaning the thing,my old 71 750 Triumph Tiger was much more the sporting bike,and weighed a bunch less.

The Scrambler did attract attention,lots of old guys would have to come look at it.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #58
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
you know of all the motorcycles there are in the world, I've never once heard a bad thing about modern Triumphs until this very moment. Have you actually ridden one?
I put 3000 miles on a Scrambler,Im sure it would run for ever but should any near 900cc bike be that slow? And why? Or weigh that much and hold such little gas while getting poor mileage? The bike is a styling excersize,it looks cool and retro.
It's Triumph's Sportster.

Its a dam shame they couldnt build a Scrambler that did more then attract attention outside burger joints,my lower back still cringes when I remember riding that thing on the few long rides I took it on..Im pretty sure there are 4 cylinder bikes with narrower engines then a Triumph twin.
Its bulky.

I like Triumphs,my 1200 Trophy works great,I will get one of the newer triples sometime.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #59
Av8rPaul OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfFleece View Post
Nah, he's not quite there on that. Drop the pegs an inch, raised the bars the same amount, and get the seat redone and add a inch to that. Easy to do-I did it. No more tubes for me-but that's me. But if you fit the 19" wheel bike it's easy enough to make the 17" bike fit.

That's what I was thinking too, I like the style of the shorty fenders and the mag 17" wheels. And thanks for the info about Jim at Twisted Throttle!

I should ask how you dropped your pegs an inch?
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...

Av8rPaul screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 10:14 PM
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #60
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
I completely agree. I am left scratching my head at the recent trend of companies making these half hearted attempts at motorcycles and pretending like character is an excuse to slap a slow engine, cheap suspension, and heavy frames together (CB1100 falls into this category too). The old bonnevilles of the 60s were the best bike Triumph could make for that era, and the character came naturally. The current ones look practically embarrassing sitting next to the Street Triples and Trophies in the showrooms - modern bikes that are loaded with character so it's proof positive that they can do it.

And before anyone questions me, yes I have ridden them, and I think they are a snooze fest and I simply don't understand the appeal. I don't mean to offend fans of the bike but the guy is looking for opinions and that is my honest one.
single is offline   Reply With Quote