Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #61
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
you know of all the motorcycles there are in the world, I've never once heard a bad thing about modern Triumphs until this very moment. Have you actually ridden one?
I hope this comment was not serious? I would argue in the camp that ALL modern bikes have come a long way from the old ones and if you have your heart set on a bike there is nothing mechanically that should stop you - but the poster is looking for honest opinions about Triumphs and there are plenty of negative things that could be said about any of their bikes. The fact is there is not one bike for everyone and not everybody likes all bikes.

Pretending that the entire brand's line up is beyond reproach is simply not really helpful to the discussion.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #62
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I put 3000 miles on a Scrambler,Im sure it would run for ever but should any near 900cc bike be that slow?
Hi, I'm Harley Davidson, its nice to meet you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
I completely agree. I am left scratching my head at the recent trend of companies making these half hearted attempts at motorcycles and pretending like character is an excuse to slap a slow engine, cheap suspension, (snip).
I heard Triumph made a bike that weighs right around 420lbs and puts 110hp/40ft/lbs to the ground with a super sport grade suspension

...its called a Streed Triple R.

I may add its a decent bike on top of that
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #63
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
And before anyone questions me, yes I have ridden them, and I think they are a snooze fest and I simply don't understand the appeal. I don't mean to offend fans of the bike but the guy is looking for opinions and that is my honest one.
If you don't get, you never will. Just like I will never understand why someone would want to ride super sport bikes on the street. You cannot totally enjoy such machines unless you have access to a track. They are just way too quick, stop too quickly (sometimes, that can be a good thing I know) and too twitchy on the street. And more often than not, people are just dumb asses on them. I now...I've been there on the Daytona 675.

Different strokes for different folks. Just ride what you like and be safe.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #64
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,004
ANYBODY can find plenty of negative things about ANY bike, it it does not suit them. Obviously if you want a crotch rocket, a Bonnie is not for you. But if you are interested in the kind of ride a Bonneville provides, there is NO reason not to buy one. They are not the bikes they once were, and someone who has ridden an original is going to notice that right away. I like character. I like vibration. I like noise. I also like the shifter on the left side where it belongs.

But back on topic. Take one for a test ride. If you like it, there is no reason not to buy it. Everything works just fine, including the handling and brakes, and they have no known mechanical issues. Just get on and ride for 100,000 miles or so, and keep up on the simple maintenance. I would get the centerstand, even with the cast wheel model. Makes chain maintenance much easier, what there is. It's not like the old days where you had to oil it every 50 miles and adjust it every 300 miles. On a lower power bike, that 0-ring chain will last forever.

Edit: while searching for a Sportster, I found this a couple days ago. It's right at my upper price limit. I almost bought it, but didn't know if I would be happy with it or not. It feels perfect, and it fits perfect. I may talk myself into it yet.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcd/3653978321.html

JerryH screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 06:51 AM
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #65
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I put 3000 miles on a Scrambler,Im sure it would run for ever but should any near 900cc bike be that slow? And why? Or weigh that much and hold such little gas while getting poor mileage? The bike is a styling excersize,it looks cool and retro.
this begs the question, if the Bonnie was that slow why were you riding it if really what you wanted was a Street/Speed Triple? That's like buying a Mini and complaining about the trunk space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Hi, I'm Harley Davidson, its nice to meet you
now making an 1800cc bike slow is something else entirely!

Quote:
Pretending that the entire brand's line up is beyond reproach is simply not really helpful to the discussion.
I dont pretend that Triumphs are perfect, nor did I say they were. All I was saying is that nearly every single person I talk to that rides a Triumph, loves it. Triumphs seems to, and always have, give people a warm fuzzy feeling of sorts..... and nobody loved the original ones because they were perfect. They were crappy in lots of ways and oddly this is a huge reason people end up loving certain bikes in the end.
For years I was on the fence for getting one and every time I saw someone riding one I would talk to them about it and I can honestly say every single person I talked to about their bikes had nothing but good things to say.
I went to a Triumph test ride day and rode 4 bikes and liked them all. I liked the Scrambler and the Speedy 3 the most. yes the scambler is "slow" and the Speed is..... well cmon they call it a Speed Triple....and it made it very hard to choose between the two because of how different they were.
I ended up with a Speed Triple and Im become obsessed with it. I absolutely love this bike.
I WILL have a Scrambler/Bonnie someday without question.

Quote:
I completely agree. I am left scratching my head at the recent trend of companies making these half hearted attempts at motorcycles
because some days are fire-breathing Speed Triple days with big wheelies and rev limiters while wearing leathers. Other days are a bonneville while wearing jeans and wandering around enjoying a windy old road.

Personally, I love some of these retro bikes that give us some options away from the modern "standards" like the 919 which aren't really what I consider when I think about a standard
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is

eatpasta screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 11:28 AM
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #66
Antiquar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I'm riding a Thruxton right now, though I've been thinking of picking up one of the Triumph triples.

I can say that the Thruxton, after you open it up with better pipes and airflow, is more than fast enough on the road. Its top speed is good. Acceleration is okay, certainly faster than most cars on the road, but you'll have to play around the gears to pass quickly on the highway. It's fast enough for most twisties.

My biggest complaints are utilitarian. Luggage options are limited. I'm getting 40-45 MPG right now. That, coupled with the small tank, makes for a limited fuel range. I'll fill up every 100 - 140 miles. Max range is just upwards of 150 miles.

I will say that, even though I'm considering another bike, I plan to keep the Thruxton. At the very least as a project bike. :)
Antiquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #67
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquar View Post
My biggest complaints are utilitarian. Luggage options are limited. I'm getting 40-45 MPG right now. That, coupled with the small tank, makes for a limited fuel range. I'll fill up every 100 - 140 miles. Max range is just upwards of 150 miles.
While out having fun you can expect to get about half that from a Speed Triple. Yes, you can still do ~140 miles on a tank while riding like a sane person, but you will find that riding like a sane person becomes extremely difficult.
I didn't even know I had an evil laugh until I bought an S3.
Quote:
Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #68
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Reminds me of myself when I rode my naked Bandit 1200 home

-Jake
Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #69
Antiquar
Adventurer

Quote:
While out having fun you can expect to get about half that from a Speed Triple. Yes, you can still do ~140 miles on a tank while riding like a sane person, but you will find that riding like a sane person becomes extremely difficult.

That's quite a ringing endorsement.

There are opposing desires fighting for supremacy in my search for another bike.

One part of me wants a Tiger 800, a DL-650, or perhaps a MG Stelvio. I want to have nice luggage options, throw on a windscreen for comfortable highway riding, and have one hell of a utilitarian bike.

The other part wants a Street or Speed Triple and to go mad.

I have no idea how to reconcile these desires. Buy both I suppose. It's the only way.

Antiquar screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 12:45 PM
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #70
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:

That's quite a ringing endorsement.

There are opposing desires fighting for supremacy in my search for another bike.

One part of me wants a Tiger 800, a DL-650, or perhaps a MG Stelvio. I want to have nice luggage options, throw on a windscreen for comfortable highway riding, and have one hell of a utilitarian bike.

The other part wants a Street or Speed Triple and to go mad. )
there is only one way to solve this and it's extremely simple.... and it worked for me....

You have to have both.

-
Also where are you in LA?

Quote:
Old 03-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #71
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,355
Quote:
Is that all the 1050s are getting?

My 955i gets about 180-190 stock gearing, and right around 160 with my -1+3 cogs on it.

I've done just a little work to the motor, but it always got around that.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #72
Antiquar
Adventurer

Quote:
there is only one way to solve this and it's extremely simple.... and it worked for me....

You have to have both.

-
Also where are you in LA?

I ought to sell my car. I could probably afford both bikes then...

I'm just on the border of East Hollywood, Silverlake, and Los Feliz. Near Vermont and Fountain.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #73
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
I ought to sell my car. I could probably afford both bikes then...
if you have a GS or Tiger with boxes, you'll forget you have a car. Im not kidding.
Quote:
Old 03-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #74
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
My biggest complaints are utilitarian. Luggage options are limited.
Hepco & Becker have finally released the bag mounts and rack for the Bonnie. I've got them (Junior hardcases & topbox) on the W800 and Honda 900 Hornet and they are excellent. About the same price as Givi but better quality.

Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #75
Antiquar
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
Hepco & Becker have finally released the bag mounts and rack for the Bonnie. I've got them (Junior hardcases & topbox) on the W800 and Honda 900 Hornet and they are excellent. About the same price as Givi but better quality.

Some attractive luggage there. Thanks for the heads up!