Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #16
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,102
It's all a matter of getting used to it. My wife and I do quite a bit of riding on seasonal dirt roads. I thought it was much easier when we sold the 1500 Goldwing and bought the FJR1300. We now do that same riding on our 1800 Golwing. The only time we've fallen was when we took my KLX250 out.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #17
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
y2kConnie

After 11 years on a 2000 Connie, I can say that it's the best bang for the buck road bike ever. That said, all the things that make it a superb, low cost, mile burner can be a drawback off pavement. The suggestion about crash bars is a good one. One slow speed drop can wreck a lot of plastic & the insurance will write up the parts at list & write off the whole bike. I've taken mine off pavement on good gravel more than once , including about 50 mi on the famous Million Dollar road up in Maine. It can be done, just gently! Above all, make sure the suspension is up to snuff. Take those forks apart, new springs can be had for < $100, Cartridge emulators are another good idea, & above all change out the fork oil, I'm guessing it is the same oil that left the factory in Neb. when she was born. The rear shock is rebuildable, or new units are available for a bit more dough. Again, new oil is probably the biggest deal here. play with the settings. Once you know the rear shock is up to spec, try a piece of gravel with different preload/damping set-ups. Go over the same piece of road again & again, changing only one increment of one variable at a time. The forks are pretty much fixed, but once you get a set of new springs calibrated to your weight, you can try different weights of fork oil. As I remember, you have a drain plug at the fork bottom, no? That should make it easier to switch out various weights of oil. Also, you can mix oil weights to arrive at intermediate values ie: 10 w + 5 w. =7.5w At a bare minimum, you'll learn a lot about what does what in terms of suspension, but first, give it the minimal maintenance that it has been missing (I'm sure) for decades.
Jim K. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
mhaas
intrpd travlrwanabe

Oddometer: 184
ds zg1

I can't seem to not find a dirt road when I go on tour with whatever bike I'm on. My old 81 RS ,ST11s. My first 86 ZG1 got the most abuse on gravel roads. The fist night on the way home from OR. I found a 20 mile farm road to a camp site. Then the 30 miles along a ridge line in WV. The main fairing bracket broke off while poking around the inland roads of the U.P. Did the camp site repair with muffler clamps and angle iron. That bike handled the suger sand at Bulow with ease.
Feet and eyes up relax , mind your traction.
Photobucket
mhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaas View Post
i can't seem to not find a dirt road when i go on tour with whatever bike i'm on. My old 81 rs ,st11s. My first 86 zg1 got the most abuse on gravel roads. The fist night on the way home from or. I found a 20 mile farm road to a camp site. Then the 30 miles along a ridge line in wv. The main fairing bracket broke off while poking around the inland roads of the u.p. Did the camp site repair with muffler clamps and angle iron. That bike handled the suger sand at bulow with ease.
Feet and eyes up relax , mind your traction.
photobucket
+1
Old 11-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #20
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwards View Post
I am new to riding and bought a 1986 Kawasaki Concours. I have noticed it is HORRIBLE/SCARY on gravel. What can I do to make this bike less scary and more comfortable gravel roads. Thanks for your time! Rick e
Ya I noticed it sucks on gravel. Which sucks, cause I bought it for work, and have to do short amounts of gravel roads.

It came with Dunlop, not the stock model, I am putting the stock tire back on. But doesn't sound like that will help.

BTW its not a matter of weight, my Harley baggers do ok on gravel.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #21
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
Ya I noticed it sucks on gravel. Which sucks, cause I bought it for work, and have to do short amounts of gravel roads.

It came with Dunlop, not the stock model, I am putting the stock tire back on. But doesn't sound like that will help.

BTW its not a matter of weight, my Harley baggers do ok on gravel.

Yep. Center of gravity, tire/rim size and width, V-twin vs. I4.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #22
jathkajoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Duro HF 904 Median tires in 130/90-16 on the rear and 120/80-18 on the front have been mounted on at least one C10. Not by me. Yet. Search on one of the Concours forums, that's where I read it, he had pictures an an evaluation posted.

The C10 is a bit heavier than my old Suz GS1100G, which handled just fine on gravel even with all the gear I carry on extended trips. In fact, I sought gravel to roll over its 50K mile. I was relaxed on gravel on that bike. I haven't relaxed yet on the C10 on gravel. The presence of tupperware repair replacement looms in my mind. But the C10 feels very similar to the old Suz on the gravel.

Look up Alcan Rider and and AK Diane's posts and read their experiences with C10s on gravel.

Jathkajoe
jathkajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #23
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Late to the party?

So the last post was a while ago, and I remember asking the same question and getting a lot of replies about a guy in Alaska who rode his ZG1000 all over the place, snow and all...AlcanRider was the name as I recall...

Anyway, I have steep hills and Mud season here in VT, and do it all on the Connie.

I even ride my KLR in snow without knobbies, but that's different.

I'm going to Darkside the Connie with a Dunlop Graspic DS 3 in 185/55-16, which according to yet another post here, fits and clears the swingarm. Not looking forward to even higher highway revs, but I'll be able to skip first gear entirely...
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #24
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Getting used to riding a street bike on gravel: Within reason, the faster you go the more stable the bike will be. If you're just starting out then your natural instinct will be to go slowly and the bike will be less stable.

With some practice you'll be able to develop some skills and experience on gravel and be more confident.

And ditto what somebody said earlier about pretending you don't have a front brake when riding on gravel as it can wash out the front easily.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,641
It'll go wherever you want it to go.

Source?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #26
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Connie + gravel

I can remember seeing a picture a while back, (probably on this site). It was a row of bikes parked out in front of the general store in Prudhoe Bay, at the end of the Dempster. All were covered in muck & looking very ADV. At the end of the row of GS, KLR, KTM, was a Connie C-10. Hard to tell with the mud cover, but I think it was the gold year...2005 maybe?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #27
Kujo1967
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
I can remember seeing a picture a while back, (probably on this site). It was a row of bikes parked out in front of the general store in Prudhoe Bay, at the end of the Dempster. All were covered in muck & looking very ADV. At the end of the row of GS, KLR, KTM, was a Connie C-10. Hard to tell with the mud cover, but I think it was the gold year...2005 maybe?
Yep, that was mine,and it is a an 05.
The deep gravel was a challenge but that wasn't the worst thing I ran across. Frost heaves and pavement/gravel transitions blew out both fork seals on the way up and a lack of travel in the front forks made it a bone jarring experience.
As with all big bikes in the gravel, just relax lean back, stay on the throttle, and let it track where it wants to...only give steering input when your on the throttle and its not that bad.
That being said, I defer to Alcan Rider as the Connie adventure Guru

Kujo1967 screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 07:39 AM
Kujo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #28
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
My Connie loves the off road and gravel roads

'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #29
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,133
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwards View Post
I am new to riding and bought a 1986 Kawasaki Concours. I have noticed it is HORRIBLE/SCARY on gravel. What can I do to make this bike less scary and more comfortable gravel roads. Thanks for your time! Rick e
Learn to ride. Your skills are HORRIBLE/SCARY. Get a soggy 125cc four stroke old turd to practice with. 20 miles into my camp on gravel roads was always the highlight of the trip.