Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #16
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,471
Icon make ok shoe / boots. Also consider aplinestar roomer boots for 129 or less. Online places to look. ironpony motorcycle super store http://www.motorcyclegear.com/ competition accessories revzila . Most have good deals. Really you should be looking and ask in the gear part of adv. Lots of posting there. try shoe "advride.com" in google with the "" . That way google searches just adv for it. also boots
Old 03-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,985
I rekn you would obviously have a set of something similar where you live (local shopping, supporting local workers, etc, etc ), but I wear boots from these people as a matter of course. I don't need safety boots where I work (only electrical and height safety stuff), but have been wearing this brand for a decade because they are he most comfortable thing I have ever worn, runners, hiking shoes the lot.

http://www.steelblue.com.au/steel-blue-footwear/hiker/

You can also get them with safety toes made of plastic (just as strong as steel caps) so they don't set off alarms at airports and are very light, riggers boots 1/2way up your calf, chemical/electrical boots a few inches past your ankle (what I prefer personally), and of course hiking shoes.

Hiking shoes have thick padded leather coverage and support for ankles in a get-off, are light to use, and flexible enough for all day use. It's all good.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #18
Pilgrim21784
Pilgrim21784

Oddometer: 91
I've been looking at buying a stealth gear set thats passable for light social events (lunch/mall/grocery stops/etc.) where my super duty gear doesn't fit well.

For footwear, Dainese Nighthawk Gore-Tex & TCX's Urban Waterproof boots are the top contenders I've been able to find using the criteria of safety, walk around wearability and "stealth" (not in your face motorcycle boots).

You'd have to really check them out for everyday/all day walking use at the office, can't advise on that issue. Neither of them are inexpensive but its a tough nut when you combine serious protection with stealth and walkability.

I'd vote with the other guys that keep a pair of regular shoes at the office, simpler & way less expensive. JMO

Pilgrim21784 screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 11:57 PM
Pilgrim21784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #19
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Like many of us, I've been going throught the same thing. I am an elemetary school teacher so i need something semi professional and comfortable enought to be on my feet all day.

I bought this pair of boots from cycle gear when they were on sale. I wanted something easy to get on and off but also would offer protection. After commuting for a couple of weeks, and changing into a different pair of shoes at work, I wasn't crazy about doing it everytime. As for the boots themselves, they aren't the best fitting; too loose around the ankle, too tight around the toes when walking around.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ots/web1010140

So, after some looking around I ended up buying the following Dr. Martens. I can wear them on the scoot to work and not change shoes. While they are slightly less protective than the cycle gear boots and don't have a zipper, they are useable every day. They do come up over my ankle and are quite comfortable for work.
http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Martens-8-E...2843188&sr=1-3
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #20
Pilgrim21784
Pilgrim21784

Oddometer: 91
Personally I think its inadvisable to try and mix quality protective riding gear with off the bike all day walk around usability. It just doesn't work folks (IMHO), but hey - whatever floats your boat.

If you go down, the medics might comment that heel/toe box or real ankle protection might have saved your foot. That might occur if they are riders and maybe have looked at accident reports and injuries. But - its your foot - so wear whatever. JMHO

Pilgrim21784 screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 05:00 PM
Pilgrim21784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #21
2WheelDuende
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Alpinestars Articolo 80 Sportivo Boots

I keep a pair of shoes in a drawer and usually change shoes at work. At times I have had early meetings and no time to change when I get in the office. The Alpinestars Articolo 80 Sportivo boots will pass for dress boots. Some of the boots I have seen at the Dainese store will work too. Check out perfmoto.com for their boots.
2WheelDuende is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #22
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I have two pairs of boots, a proper pair of motorcycle boots for when it's cold and a pair of look a like tactical boots with a zipper up the inside. They look like the tactical boots the LEO's wear but cost half the price.

Think about all day comfort, the LEO's are in their boots all day long under many different conditions.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have tried to wear my cowboy boots while riding (motorcycles), and they are just not comfortable. The slip. and yes, they are sized correctly, all pull on boots slip to some degree. On dirt bikes I prefer lace up lineman's boots, because they fit tight, give great ankle support, and do not slip. But riding a scooter and a motorcycle are 2 different things when it comes to footwear. Scooters have no foot controls, so having to have a perfect fit on the outside (like to fit under a shift lever) is not as important. I also prefer boots with a tapered heel in front, so they don't get caught on things as easily. I wore tennis shoes on my EX500 Ninja, because I could not find anything suitable that would fit between the shifter and the peg. The pegs were so far back that your feet were almost vertical (toes pointing at the ground) while on the pegs. But that was not my type of bike, and I was not going to spend $200 on a pair of roadracing boots to ride it. I sold the bike instead.

My main problem with wearing too much gear on a motorcycle (other than here in the summer, where you will die of heat stroke long before an accident gets you, or heat exhaustion and hyperthermia will cause disorientation (getting too hot usually happens much faster than getting too cold) is that it limits your ability to control the bike. In the winter, you have to stay warm, but if you are all bundled up like the Michelin Man, you may not be able to move around and operate the controls properly. That is especially true of your arms and hands. I wear electric gloves so I can get away with much thinner gloves. Operating the clutch, throttle, and front brake properly requires very precise articulated movements, very difficult to do when wearing several layers of clothes.

That's where you might have to eat some extra money and splurge on two jackets. I have my cool/cold waterproof jacket and for the summer, a summer one that lets the breeze come through. Like the winter, it's armored and the armor allows sufficient airflow.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote