Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #16
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtj View Post
Update:

I did a 2 hour ride and experimented with the Scala Rider G9 turned off and the Montana functioned perfectly. As soon as I turned the Scala Rider on, the Montana GPS acted up with poor tracking, incorrect navigation and Loss of satellite reception. I also gave a go at (i) having the Bluetooth function on my phone turned off and (ii) the phone itself turned off with the Scala Rider left on in the previous two scenarios, but the GPS still acted up in these circumstances.

Unfortunately, I have to assume the Scala Rider G9 and Montana 650t are incompatible in my setup?
Did you try a different G9 in your setup to see if yours is wonky?

Have you contacted Scala? Hope you don't mind, I posted your observation to the Scala Facebook page to see if others have heard of or experienced it.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 05:32 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #17
gtj OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Did you try a different G9 in your setup to see if yours is wonky?

Have you contacted Scala? Hope you don't mind, I posted your observation to the Scala Facebook page to see if others have heard of or experienced it.
I can easily try the other G9 that came in the set I purchased. I will plan on doing that to see if there is any difference.

Thanks for posting my dilema on the Facebook page. I don't use Facebook, so if you get any noteworthy feedback, letting me know would be great.

I did a couple google searches on the isuue, but came up empty.

I have sent an e-mail to Cardo systems and will post the results when received.

Appreciate the Interest,
Glenn
gtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I can easily try the other G9 that came in the set I purchased. I will plan on doing that to see if there is any difference.

Thanks for posting my dilema on the Facebook page. I don't use Facebook, so if you get any noteworthy feedback, letting me know would be great.

I did a couple google searches on the isuue, but came up empty.

I have sent an e-mail to Cardo systems and will post the results when received.

Appreciate the Interest,
Glenn
I'll let you know if I hear back from them, or anyone else, through FB.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #19
gtj OP
Adventurer

Update #2 from OP:

I obtained another Montana 650t and tried it, with no difference in the performance.

I switched the Scala Rider G9 for another unit (my wife's paired G9) and no difference.

I contacted Cardo Systems via e-mail and I doubt they read my message as they replied with regards to Bluetooth functionality in their message, so I'm not impressed that they didn't bother to properly read my message and respond appropriately.

Contacted Cardo via telephone and explained my problem, but the only thing he could offer was to make sure the "click to link" was turned off. When I checked on this it was "off".

So for me, in my experience, the Scala Rider G9 is not compatible with the Garmin Montana 650t because of some type of interference with the Montana GPS satellite signal causing poor tracking and eventual loss of satellite reception with prolonged intervals before any sort of satellite reception is re-established. As such, I cannot recommend the Scala Rider G9 to be used with the Garmin Montana 6xx series GPS

Anyone using a Sena SMH10 successfully with a Garmin Montana 6xx series?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Update #2 from OP:

I obtained another Montana 650t and tried it, with no difference in the performance.

I switched the Scala Rider G9 for another unit (my wife's paired G9) and no difference.

I contacted Cardo Systems via e-mail and I doubt they read my message as they replied with regards to Bluetooth functionality in their message, so I'm not impressed that they didn't bother to properly read my message and respond appropriately.

Contacted Cardo via telephone and explained my problem, but the only thing he could offer was to make sure the "click to link" was turned off. When I checked on this it was "off".

So for me, in my experience, the Scala Rider G9 is not compatible with the Garmin Montana 650t because of some type of interference with the Montana GPS satellite signal causing poor tracking and eventual loss of satellite reception with prolonged intervals before any sort of satellite reception is re-established. As such, I cannot recommend the Scala Rider G9 to be used with the Garmin Montana 6xx series GPS

Interesting that Scala cares so much about it. For the record, our pair of G4s work just fine.

Never did hear back on Facebook, except for a generic "Contact Help" message from Scala.

Maybe you'll get more feedback if you post in the main Montana thread?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #21
gtj OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Interesting that Scala cares so much about it. For the record, our pair of G4s work just fine.

Never did hear back on Facebook, except for a generic "Contact Help" message from Scala.

Maybe you'll get more feedback if you post in the main Montana thread?
Glad to hear your G4's work perfectly.
I did ask what the difference between the G9 and G4 was, as you had mentioned previously that the G4's worked with the Montana, but the response was mainly the difference in the "click to link" allowing a greater number of riders to communicate.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:43 AM   #22
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,771
could it just similar to the emf interfrence that another user had and solved by using a "choke".Hope i have the terminolgy right
Old 03-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #23
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
could it just similar to the emf interfrence that another user had and solved by using a "choke".Hope i have the terminolgy right
I was reading through this post, but have neither the Scala or a Montana GPS on my bike. The idea of a choke is a good one. I found that it helped me in previous setups on my Dakar and a GPS system.

If you have a friend who is an amateur radio operator "ham", ask him for a type 34 snap-on type ferrite bead or two. Wrap any wires leading into the Scala and the Montana in them, snap them shut, and see what happens. Sometimes any wires running into units like these act as antennas and can pick up unwanted signals that will screw up the unit. hope this helps.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Its very common for electronic devices - especially ones that use any type of wireless technology or antennas to interfere with each other.

The fix is simple - just move them to either side of the handlebars.

Failing that, put tin foil on your head.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #25
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
Its very common for electronic devices - especially ones that use any type of wireless technology or antennas to interfere with each other.

The fix is simple - just move them to either side of the handlebars.
The Scala radio in this case is already up on the riders helmet. Some distance from the Montana.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #26
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Update #2 from OP:

I have been using a SMH10 & SMH10R with my 650 on rugged mount that is connected to SM10 and no problems.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #27
gtj OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
I have been using a SMH10 & SMH10R with my 650 on rugged mount that is connected to SM10 and no problems.
Thanks for this. A neat looking setup.
How did you find the security of the mounting for the battery and unit?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #28
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Thanks for this. A neat looking setup.
How did you find the security of the mounting for the battery and unit?
Not sure if your asking about the SENA system or the Montana. But I had no issues with either Sena systems on the 1150GSA or the SMH10R mounted on my Neotec helmet in the 6,000kls we did.

The Montana I have had 1 year & have had no issues with the battery, but then I did the ear plug on the battery from the start.

Only issue I have is the security screw on the rugged mount failed this trip, so I'll be doing the fix mentioned here some weeks ago. Might even do the rugged mount on the LT that way I can save some weight & not have to carry the Garmin Special Screw Driver .
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #29
gtj OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
Not sure if your asking about the SENA system or the Montana. .
Thanks for the info. I was referring to the mounting of the SMH10R. Looks like it is an adhesive mounting. With 6,000 km on your setup I assume it is solid.

Yes, my security screw failed me as well. Plan to do the modification along the lines described.

Thanks Again.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #30
gtj OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
I was reading through this post, but have neither the Scala or a Montana GPS on my bike. The idea of a choke is a good one. I found that it helped me in previous setups on my Dakar and a GPS system.

If you have a friend who is an amateur radio operator "ham", ask him for a type 34 snap-on type ferrite bead or two. Wrap any wires leading into the Scala and the Montana in them, snap them shut, and see what happens. Sometimes any wires running into units like these act as antennas and can pick up unwanted signals that will screw up the unit. hope this helps.
Where would the "choke" be placed? The intercomm system is self contained unit and operates with Bluetooth tecnology. The GPS unit is self contained unit as well, but it does have a 12 volt power wire. Would there be any advantage to installing a "choke" on the 12 volt wire? Also by "choking" out some RF waves, would I be decreasing the effectiveness of either the intercomm or the GPS? Sorry for my ignorance here.

gtj screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 07:23 AM