Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #76
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
A simple seat swap from a t100 or pre 2010 bonneville se, will get the seat to peg ratio the same as the t-100 on the floor.

Ad a set of lowered peg brackets to the mix and you are comfortable.

The stock seats suck, I ride a 2013 Bonneville as my sole mode of transport, I swapped to the earlier seat, put on some atv bars, and some home grown luggage racks with seahorse cases. It's great, though after a 250 mile ride, my lower back is sore, due to the seat.

villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #77
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Cool set up Scrivens!

When I purchased my '08 GSXR600 I was really torn between it and a Bonnie. I really like Triumphs and the Bonnie is so cool.

What is funny to me about this discussion is the fact that going from a sport-bike to a Bonnie isn't considered a regression, but a choice. Which I fully understand and agree with...and so do most of the other posters. But, had the OP wanted to go to a Harley....well that would somehow be different???

I rode my GSXR for 18K and really enjoyed it. But, my back began to really complain. I chose to go in the direction of the Harley ('04 Road King) for the very reasons many of the posters have mentioned. Sure, it is not as fast as my sportbike was, but I don't risk tickets and getting in over my head as easy. It doesn't brake like the sportbike, but who would expect it to? It is just weird to me that choosing a KLR (which are easily out-paced by a Prius) or a Bonnie is acceptable, but the Harley isn't.

All that said, I would love to add a Bonnie one day. I still have quite a bit of Triumph stuff lying about that I cannot seem to part with, even though my Sprint is long gone.

Regardless of which bike you choose, make sure it is the one that sparks the flame inside you. The one that makes the open road, trail, or track call to you for just a little more adventure!!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #78
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Is that all the 1050s are getting?

My 955i gets about 180-190 stock gearing, and right around 160 with my -1+3 cogs on it..
the previous owner geared it down a little and had a super rich, performance map loaded. Ive bought the cable to upload a slightly leaner map eventually....
So the acceleration is, good.

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #79
propforward
Nice Chap

Oddometer: 11,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
I added a T100 to the stable a couple of years ago. I get more compliments on that bike than any of the other bikes I've ridden. It's very much an elemental motorcycle.

While there are HD dealers in most every town in the USA, and there are plenty of Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki dealerships about, none of those brands can match Triumph because every single gas stop I've ever stopped at has a an old guy who used to ride a Triumph back in the day.
Ah, you've experienced that eh? Yes, a great feeling.

I also have a Bonneville. Excellent bike. Just so much simple fun. Even after riding other much more powerful bikes. I won't give my Bonneville up if I can help it.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #80
Duck Dodgers
Rock n’ Roll Refugee

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rPaul View Post
Absolutely NO intention to discredit the performance of the Triumph twins here. I'm thinking pretty hard about buying a new Bonneville. My last three bikes were pretty high performance (Duc ST4S, Buell 1125R, KTM 950 Adv) and while having the lowest amount of hp the KTM was my fav. I know that the Triumph can roll along at any sane speed, but have any of you gone this same route?
I moved from an FJR to a Bonnie. I enjoyed the FJR and all the Tupperware and storage. The weight and it's less than friendly short hop around town issues got me looking. (not that I needed a reason to look at bikes)

I really enjoy the bike it is simple to maneuver and set up how you would like. It has it's issues but nothing $$$ can't fix.

It is NOT any of you previous bikes.

For me it brought back that feeling I first got 40 years ago. Or put another way I had to work at reasons to ride the FJR less than 40 miles in any one direction, short rides were work. With the Bonnie it may take two trips to the hardware store instead of one on the FJR.

SO what,more sMiles put on the bike.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #81
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
Cool set up Scrivens!
But, had the OP wanted to go to a Harley....well that would somehow be different???
I've got the H&B racks on my other bikes as well, so the bags just swap over. They really are good stuff. I think they took over from Krauser as the old Krausers I had on my Beemers fitted onto the H&B frames.

I own an '07 883 standard Sportster as well and it is a great bike, like all the modern Harleys. Uncannily smooth at 100-120km/h cruise, comfortable as an old chair, very well built, reliable as a rock, virtual nil maintenance and excellent fuel consumption. The only downside is the 3.3 gal tank and the difficulty fitting a larger tank to a fuel injected bike. I put Road King shocks, tacho and a few other goodies on mine and it is a very good touring bike. I like the Road Kings but don't have the garage space to fit one - big bikes.

Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #82
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,159
It would be nice if Triumph still offered a bike like the Thunderbird Sport in their "classic" series: triple discs, fully-adjustable suspension, strong linear power from the triple, but classic looks/lines. That was a really sweet bike.

I was sad when Triumph reused the name for the new cruiser.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #83
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
1170 miles in Three Days

I just got back from three days on the road, actually rather boring freeway there and back to attend a family gathering in Georgia. My 2007 is stock with cheap luggage, a Parabellum windshield and handlebar muffs for the cold and the rain. I don't like weather below 70 degrees but needs must and I saw 45 degrees on this trip. In the summer I like to ride from Key West to the mountains, a 12 hour ride and spend a few days riding the twisties. If i get to do that two or three times in a summer its a good year for me, living as I do in very southern, deliciously warm Flatistan.

I used the stock seat for the first 68,000 miles and had Sargeants of Jacksonville re-stuff and a fine job they did. Cruising at 80mph indicated (75mph GPS) reduces mpg to 38 but is quite comfortable. I've done an Iron Butt 1000 and a 1500 on the stock seat. I guess I am unusually resilient in the end , as it were.

I really don't care much about the argument that the Bonneville should be something its not. I like riding it, its easy, it does everthing and its as relaible as any bike you could name. Its cheap to buy cheap to run and easy to modify. Don't like the suspension? there are vendors lined up to sell you bolt on replacements. Want more power? Boost it to 904 ccs or spend $30,000 and get a Hyde Harrier conversion out of the box.

Or if you are like me and prefer to ride, just buy one and ride it. I really don't give a toss about people who walk up and spout off about their old triumphs. I'm glad they get a thrill from seeing it but thats obviously not why I own a retro. Mine is a bit too hard used to be pretty anymore. Not exactly eye candy. I enjoy the retro look but I never wanted to own a Bonneville in the 70s because they were gruesomely unreliable. Riding this style of all purpose bike reminds me of the bikes I used to ride, but I don't expect it to be a replica of anything in particular. The true modern equivalent of the oriinal superbike Bonnie is the Speed Triple.

I would prefer a sportster for the hydraulic valves but you know what? I just love the fat frumpy slow faux Bonneville. I can't help it.

IBA#39,523

conchscooter screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 01:51 AM
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:15 AM   #84
Calamity Jesus
n0ob

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
I completely agree. I am left scratching my head at the recent trend of companies making these half hearted attempts at motorcycles and pretending like character is an excuse to slap a slow engine, cheap suspension, and heavy frames together (CB1100 falls into this category too).
The Bonneville engine is far more powerful than most of the other 800cc air cooled motors out there and it's about 2 seconds faster in the 1/4mi than similar machines made by a certain American company. Let's get some perspective before we start calling something slow.
Quote:
I'm so glad I asked the question...this thread is great. I value all the opinions shared and the occasional touche'.

I went by the dealer in Anchorage who has a T100 on the floor and did a test sit. Was quite pleased with the ergos, leg room was ample and the bars were felt pretty good too. When I told him that I was interested in a mag wheel model, he told me that would never work, I'm too tall, too hard to put longer shocks on it, ho hum...
As the owner of a mag wheel '09 with Thruxton length shocks (aluminum bodied Icons), I can assure you that it is a 20 minute job involving 4 bolts and a chain adjustment. There are no I'll effects to speak of unless your inseam lacks. That salesman just wanted the extra $20 in commission.

Sorry for the necrobump, but someone needed to say it.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #85
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Since this thread is bumped, get the Thruxton. You can thrash it at 90 all day long and hang in curves with all but the best sport bike riders. I have both a CBR 600 and a Thruxton and I'll even choose to take the Thruxton on sport-tour rides (just beware the small tank and bad mielage).
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #86
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Quote:
Nice pic Randy, I used to live in Newnan and have ridden by the same spot. The sensations are certainly a big issue, on 100+hp bikes they're definitely there in droves. I rode 60hp R100's all over the country, but that was a long time ago...
Thanks.

Really? Small world, huh?
Really small world! I've ridden out of Newnan, at least (when I bought my VFR).

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #87
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 845
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
Ah, you've experienced that eh? Yes, a great feeling.

I also have a Bonneville. Excellent bike. Just so much simple fun. Even after riding other much more powerful bikes. I won't give my Bonneville up if I can help it.
The Bonnie is a great one person touring machine! Atleast the way mine is set up. Did a 6500 mile trip last summer about this time. Now it is off to Colorado for an expecting 3666 miles!
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #88
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 336
I've got a GS and Concours-14 in the garage, just added a mag-wheeled Bonneville and I'm in love with it.

I was eyeing the CB1100 REALLY hard but for my intended purposes, I could not justify the extra $3.5K for the Honda....probably the first rational decision I have made when it came to motorcycling.

After swapping out the shitty stock shocks and seat, I would have no reseverations taking the little guy for a multi-day ride far from home.

It's more home in the backwoods and streets vs. open highway, but it has no real issues cruising 80MPH. I think it would be up to the riders own personal comfort level keeping it there for long periods of time, more than the bike itself.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #89
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
Hepco & Becker have finally released the bag mounts and rack for the Bonnie. I've got them (Junior hardcases & topbox) on the W800 and Honda 900 Hornet and they are excellent. About the same price as Givi but better quality.

what windshield is that
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #90
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
I've got the H&B racks on my other bikes as well, so the bags just swap over. They really are good stuff. I think they took over from Krauser as the old Krausers I had on my Beemers fitted onto the H&B frames.

I own an '07 883 standard Sportster as well and it is a great bike, like all the modern Harleys. Uncannily smooth at 100-120km/h cruise, comfortable as an old chair, very well built, reliable as a rock, virtual nil maintenance and excellent fuel consumption. The only downside is the 3.3 gal tank and the difficulty fitting a larger tank to a fuel injected bike. I put Road King shocks, tacho and a few other goodies on mine and it is a very good touring bike. I like the Road Kings but don't have the garage space to fit one - big bikes.

You can bolt on a Sportster "Custom" 4.5 gallon tank for that bike. I see em on Ebay all the time...
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote