Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #2116
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,888
I heard it was smooth.... I was a bit surprised how smooth it is though.

I've only rambled through this thread enough to see what the consensus was while I was looking - pretty positive stuff overall.

First twelve miles home from the shop haven't given me a reason to doubt anything so far

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #2117
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

I've only rambled through this thread enough to see what the consensus was while I was looking - pretty positive stuff overall.

First twelve miles home from the shop haven't given me a reason to doubt anything so far

Get rid of that dong hanging off the back. They crack pretty quickly.

If you don't feel like going to the extreme I did (http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=350), at least take the boat anchor license plate holder off to reduce the weight.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #2118
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Get rid of that dong hanging off the back. They crack pretty quickly.
I'm pretty familiar with the Huskies.....TE 610, TE 630, TE 310
Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #2119
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
I'm pretty familiar with the Huskies.....TE 610, TE 630, TE 310
Ah. Do they have dongs on the back that crack too?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #2120
icebergstu
Husqvarna Tragic

Oddometer: 469
The problem with the 606f is it feathers and chews the back of the knobs under breaking on blacktop. It ends up with all your center knobbs sloping backwards. It soon turns into a very loud and vibrational tyre. The 907f with its row of split pairs around the center distributes the load under breaking better, takes longer to feather and is more dependable for a much longer time. A half worn 606f is scary in anything wet but a 3/4 worn 907f you can still depend on. You get more bang for your bucks in my opinion.

K60 was on my bike when I bought it. I swear it caused me to hiside when the front gripped and the rear slid out. I vote no confidence in those tyres. Probably great for long dirt road rides though.

Stu

icebergstu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #2121
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:

Dude another NEW bike??

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #2122
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Knobbiness

Got the new meat on the rear, ready for the week long trip.

We'll see if the tire handles 1500 miles of hell.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #2123
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
Dude another NEW bike??

Bundy
you make a seat for this one yet?

j/k... this stock seat isn't too bad, I need to rack up a few miles and see.

The 310 was not an all day seat until I put yours on - then it was supremely comfortable all day.

I sold both my streetbikes to get the wife a nice car (and traded in my new truck).
The TE 310 is a great playbike, but not a very good 'only bike'. Too much in the 'race bike with a plate and lights' category.
Got to have something I can ride on and off road. I'll miss that seat though!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #2124
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 145
I don't know if this has been quoted yet.. from the Safari Tanks web site...

"Safari Tanks have begun development of a 25-litre fuel tank that will give the bike a range of around 550km (based on the economy figures of the BMW engine)."

http://www.safaritanks.com.au/home/L...sky-terra.html
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #2125
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 60
I got my Terra about a week and a half ago and totally agree with all the positive comments others have made about it. I've put just over 600 miles on it so far, riding on everything from freeways to gnarly 4WD jeep tracks. I previously had a DR650 which I bought brand new and owned for about 2 years. I uncorked the DR by cutting the top out of the air box, installing a larger main jet and putting an FMF muffler on it. The Terra performs significantly better than my uncorked DR. It handles better on the twistys, definitely out accelerates it, and the suspension is much more capable on boulder strewn jeep tracks. I've been riding on and off road since the early 70's and this bike is the best dual purpose (on road/off road) bike I've ever owned. I would not hesitate to go long distance touring on it, 8 to 10 hours a day in the saddle would be no problem, nor would I hesitate to spend a day off roading 4 wheel drive routes with it. It's big limitation off-road is the tires which don't hook up very well in nasty, root infested muddy sections but I think with a decent set of knobbies it would be able to handle that as well. One of the secrets to riding this bike off-road is to lug the bike down around 3000RPM and let the bike tractor through. I find that if you're higher up in the power band (over 5000RPM) it's too easy to spin the rear wheel - although knobbies would probably solve that problem. All in all, this is a great bike and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a dual purpose, adventure type motorcycle.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #2126
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,215
I spent a little time at a BMW (only) dealer yesterday. The Husky was the main attraction from the moment I pulled up. Everyone at the dealership came out and looked and chatted. I really just wanted to look at a used 650gs for my wife.

Then the owner came out and we talked bikes for about an hour. A good dude who cut his teeth racing Husky's and Triumphs in the 60's. We talked about my choice, and the comparison to the Sertao. He said " the great thing about the TR is the price point and the off road capability. The Sertao can do off road, and it does have more suspension travel, but it really is an on road oriented mile eating machine that looks off road worthy. That Husky captures the essence of a 50/50 dual sport perfectly, and can definitely go more places than the Sertao."

Well, that about sums up why I bought it too. The Sertao just seemed a little quirky and more expensive. Not a bad bike by any means, but I felt confident in my ability to take the TR anywhere. I just found it interesting that a BMW dealer said that.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #2127
kjackbrown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Silicone hose set

In response to an email I sent to Samco yesterday.....

"Hi, This is a kit we would consider bringing onto production but we do not yet have it available.

If we had demand for say 10 + kits and a donor set of hoses we could definitely do something. If you were able to donate the original hoses as templates for the factory to keep and be the one to help generate theinterest through means of a forum or owners club we could supply your set foc in exchange for efforts. The tooling cost is quite high so we need tohave this minimum order to justify the start up costs. If you can initiate we can of course handle all the customers names and payments etc. We would need the pre-orders and interest 1st though to validate the tooling costs.It will take around 6 weeks for 1st off production, we would not have a price until we had a set of hoses but always a fair price just depends onhow many hoses and complexity. Let me know and look forward to hearing from you.
Best Regards Richard "

I willing to sacrifice my ride for 6 weeks of R&D if 10 people are interested.

Also, Motor Hoses emailed me back but said they were at a show in Daytona and would let me know if they are interested once they return home. I will let you know what they say.

So, anyone interested in some high quality virtually indestructible silicone silicone hoses. They come in many colors....mine will be red :-P
kjackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #2128
xBoeing
n00b

Oddometer: 5
How is it on a crazy Cal freeway?

I'm an old nOOb looking for a step up from my XT250. I was really thinking F700GS but a cousin suggested this Husky. The TR650 does sound like a better next step.
I like the idea of the TR650 50/50 street off-road. But more realistically all the places I want to ride are a few freeway hours away. My XT250 and I don't like that. It's top speed of 65 meant staying in the far right lane like a little bunny and not mixing with the 75+ cagers. What is some of your owners impression of the TR650 mixing with the big boys.
xBoeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #2129
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBoeing View Post
I'm an old nOOb looking for a step up from my XT250. I was really thinking F700GS but a cousin suggested this Husky. The TR650 does sound like a better next step.
I like the idea of the TR650 50/50 street off-road. But more realistically all the places I want to ride are a few freeway hours away. My XT250 and I don't like that. It's top speed of 65 meant staying in the far right lane like a little bunny and not mixing with the 75+ cagers. What is some of your owners impression of the TR650 mixing with the big boys.
I've ridden quite a few freeway miles with mine and you'll have no trouble keeping up with traffic - just the opposite in fact. This bike will out accelerate, and has a higher top speed than just about any car. The bike redlines at 8000RPM and in 5th gear at 4000RPM you are doing just over 60MPH and the bike is rock steady and just about vibration free. Off road the bike will handle gnarly 4WD tracks with ease. Don't be concerned that it's only got 7.5 inches of suspension travel front and rear. The important thing is that the suspension has high quality damping and works very well. The Terra will have no problems keeping up with the F700GS on the street unless the F700 rider decides to go flat out as hard as he can, but off-road the Terra will be significantly better than the F700GS,
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #2130
xBoeing
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for the reply, farp. I was figuring that it would be okay but it's good to hear confirmation that it's even better than ok. I almost brought one home today, maybe tomorrow I will.
xBoeing is offline   Reply With Quote