Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #31
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I need it to last 100,000 plus miles, mostly at highway speeds. I have not found anyone who put anywhere near that kind of mileage on one yet.
The road is a lot harder on a Scooter motor than a Motorcycle or automobile engine.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #32
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I would find it hard to believe that a Swing went 295,000 miles without at least one rebuild of the engine and alot of money spent in maintence. The problem with scooters is they are turning pretty high rpm's traveling at highway speeds, which does not lead to a long life. The Burgman 650 is the only one that I know of that has a relaxed engine at 65+ mph. But I would think that the transmission on the B650 may be a little suspect for the long haul. A motorcyle is much more capable of the high mileage Jerry is looking for.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #33
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Personally, I tend to believe it. I see on the SilverWing forums milage of 100,000 and more is not uncommon with those bikes when used normally and as you have stated travel by Interstate at modern speeds is hard on bikes.

It's obviously an old guy who spends his days cruising around on the backroads. Used gently and ridden a lot, bikes can last many times longer than what is considered normal.

For example on the SYM Owners forum there is a couple who have a pair of HD125's who spend their weekends cruising backroads at a gentle pace. The bikes are currently at 55,000 miles with just normal maintenance.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #34
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPED MEDIC View Post
The road is a lot harder on a Scooter motor than a Motorcycle or automobile engine.
I think that has more to do with displacement than whether the engine is motorcycle or scooter. My engineer brother was vacationing in Arizona recently and rented a V-Strom 1000. His brother-in-law was on a Ninja 650.

Cruising at traffic speed (85 to 90 mph) the Ninja was working hard, the Strom; a bike with 55,000 miles on it ,was in comfortable cruise mode.

If a person is thinking of a 400 class scoot for the highway; 80 mph indicated is about all you can expect for going the distance. Even at that, the bike will be working fairly hard. A 600 twin like on the Swing would be running at a comfortable cruise at the same speed.

You're a mechanic, a low stress engine is a much longer lived engine.

Phipsd screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 01:34 PM
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #35
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
There's a Scarabeo 500 in Houston that had 85,000 miles on it last service and was heading out for Washington State (guy who owns it rides it there it to Seattle from Houston at least twice a year) with no major issues according to the shop that services mine. He's been a regular customer of theirs for years. Got a couple of Vespa GTS on Modern Vespa that have gotten close to 100k but though the one who was intent on breaking that number had a close encounter with a deer at something like 87k. Scoots can make 100k if well maintained.

Oh and I know 4 people with Majesties all of which are please as punch with them and prefer them to the Silverwing/Burgman options. One has had to replace a pump but that's about it.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote