Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #601
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
JimmyTheHog,

Suspension question- What spring rate did you had on the first shocks made by YSS (I think?) and what spring rate is on your Works' Piggyback?
Yah, I think 51 lb/in will most likely be way too soft. Heres the info on the YSS and the Works Perf. For the Works, you will need to check with them on the part number as the spring rate is cryptic and I don't remember the actual (but im pretty sure its close to the YSS rates).

Sorry for the mixed up font colors - cant seem to change them.

BTW - Im currently spec'ing an Ohlins set of shocks which will be 15" long like the Works Perf. Im going for full adjustability on compr and rebound damping and hyd spring preload. When I know that spring rate, I'll post it too.

YSS RZ-366 TRL Twin Shocks
- Talk to Klaus
- Self Adjusting Gas Emulsion
- 15.55” Long (395mm), 4.63” stroke (TBD 120mm , 4.72”)
- 36mm Bore, 16mm Shaft
- Preload & Rebound 60 clicks
- Top & Bottom 12.9 x 24
- Black Spring: 46-25-45x260:
-
46 = spring ID
- 25 = starting rate = 140 lbs
/inch
- 45 = ending rate = 250 lbs
/inch
- 260 = free length (10.24”)

- Spec’ed for:
* 200 lb
Rider
* 484 lb
Bike
* 50 lbs
Luggage / Gear
~
$735 / pair – OTD

Works Performance:
- P/N: CU-12616 (03 pr SP2 15.0 DRS D.P.211-250 BK)

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #602
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
JTH,
Big thanks for that Braking link. That caliper is a 2 pot that fits on a 21" wheel ehh?

I only ask because the link does not clearly say what the specs are, but do say "supermoto" caliper which often means that they only fit on 17" wheels. If it fits on the 21" fine with no spoke interference that is cool news. Keep us poted, VERY interested.

I am glad you do not mind being the Guinea Pig...
Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #603
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
JTH,
Big thanks for that Braking link. That caliper is a 2 pot that fits on a 21" wheel ehh?

I only ask because the link does not clearly say what the specs are, but do say "supermoto" caliper which often means that they only fit on 17" wheels. If it fits on the 21" fine with no spoke interference that is cool news. Keep us poted, VERY interested.

I am glad you do not mind being the Guinea Pig...
Yes, it was a bit of a crap shoot on the fit since I couldn't get a solid answer on it, but it fits fine. I measure 0.27" clearance from the caliper body to the spokes - which is generous. Its still a floating type, so no pistons on the spoke side which make it thinner there.

I was looking at the PM 4-piston brakes before this one and theirs would not fit per the dimensions they gave me. I would think other 4-piston or even 2-piston opposing piston calipers would have a problem with the 21" wheels.

Im happy to be the guinea pig on this as im learning a lot. Im sure others will benefit from the info and also from some of the slightly used parts I'll be selling soon - like the YSS & WP shocks, my old KTM forks w/ 0.6 springs & Hlebo valving, Applied Racing triple clamps, V&H SS2R exhaust, etc.... I'll be posting them in the vendors section soon in case there is any interest.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #604
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Thanks a ton JTH.

I know I personally do appreciate all of your testing and R&D work. I am not build an HD dual sport but rather a BMW RT to true duallie bike, but much of the ideas and fitment issues do apply.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #605
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Rendered Preview of the new components on the bike. The Aluminum gas tank fabrication has started...

Old 03-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #606
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
Maybe this should be a full kit bike with a HD donating it's vitals.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #607
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Maybe this should be a full kit bike with a HD donating it's vitals.
Given that adventure bikes are the largest growing segment, you would think HD should get out their checkbook.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #608
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Hi there, hi Simon,
had the same ideas, but don't forget what they did to Eric before you offer our mate Jimmy or the bike he created to them ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #609
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Im want to take HD into the dual sport market, backed or not (but a little backing would be nice). And dont worry, its patent pending

Thought id take the SC3 to another country "virtually" - can you guess where this famous building is? Bambi may know....

JimmyTheHog screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 12:40 AM
Old 03-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #610
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

It IS a dirt bike afterall....how bout a virtual shot of it somewhere cool..in the dirt?

Rim of the Grand Canyon, in front of the Great Shinx, somewhere NON concrete jungle..
Old 03-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #611
Dirigo
Curious

Oddometer: 431
That Sucker Is..

Bada$$!
Dirigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #612
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 836
JimmyTheHog, perhaps I should introduce you to Ed and David Hamburger They are owner of SLP Engineering and they got GM to let them do WS6 and SS package for the Firebird and Camaro until GM decided to discontinue WS6 for the demise of the Firebird. Camaro survived..

Anyway, about the fuel tank.. so you decided to go with Aluminum? Are you planning to try and build it or just pay someone to do build it as per your design? I guess I will keep my option open and if it is in good price range, I can always take advantage of Paypal's 6 months no interest financing if they offer the promotion.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #613
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
JimmyTheHog, perhaps I should introduce you to Ed and David Hamburger They are owner of SLP Engineering and they got GM to let them do WS6 and SS package for the Firebird and Camaro until GM decided to discontinue WS6 for the demise of the Firebird. Camaro survived..

Anyway, about the fuel tank.. so you decided to go with Aluminum? Are you planning to try and build it or just pay someone to do build it as per your design? I guess I will keep my option open and if it is in good price range, I can always take advantage of Paypal's 6 months no interest financing if they offer the promotion.
WAWC - Thanks. I'll check em out. For the tank, I had originally planned to have an aluminum tank made and have been on Evan Wilcox's wait list for more than a year. Finally my time came a week ago and now the tank i designed is being fabricated by Evan. He most certainly will do a nice job and improve on the design with his expertise. This aluminum tank will be offered in "very" limited production. Quantity per year is still TBD, but probably less than a handful and are slated for the bikes i plan to build.

For the production, I still plan to do the plastic XLPE version, but need to firm up the supplier. The goal/plan is that a known tank mfgr will produce it and I'll sell them thru CDS initially. Price for those should be very affordable. Sorry this is lagging, but im working on it. We were supposed to start in March, but it has been postponed for numerous reasons. Start date is still TBD.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #614
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHog View Post
WAWC - Thanks. I'll check em out. For the tank, I had originally planned to have an aluminum tank made and have been on Evan Wilcox's wait list for more than a year. Finally my time came a week ago and now the tank i designed is being fabricated by Evan. He most certainly will do a nice job and improve on the design with his expertise. This aluminum tank will be offered in "very" limited production. Quantity per year is still TBD, but probably less than a handful and are slated for the bikes i plan to build.

For the production, I still plan to do the plastic XLPE version, but need to firm up the supplier. The goal/plan is that a known tank mfgr will produce it and I'll sell them thru CDS initially. Price for those should be very affordable. Sorry this is lagging, but im working on it. We were supposed to start in March, but it has been postponed for numerous reasons. Start date is still TBD.
No apology needed at all. I'd be more interested in aluminum if it is reasonable and I would prefer to do the painting myself.. if that's OK! If so, do put me on the list and PM me when it's time. I haven't got to my fuel tank plan just yet so it is very possible I'll just get one from you if you will make an expectation. If not, it's ok! I've not ride on a bike since before Christmas and I am really READY to ride again soon so I wanna get moving! LOL!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #615
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
It IS a dirt bike afterall....how bout a virtual shot of it somewhere cool..in the dirt?

Rim of the Grand Canyon, in front of the Great Shinx, somewhere NON concrete jungle..
Well, it is a dual sport, so it has to do a little asphalt first to get to the dirt

How about a road in the desert early dawn ....