ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #5521
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Hey all :) another Versys rider checking in...

I've had a 2011 for about a year now, bought new. Been very very happy with the bike. I know some think of it as an "entry level" bike, but I gotta say it's also for long time bikers too, no doubt.

In Arizona and have taken a trip to San Diego, up Hwy 1 to San Fran, camping along the way when possible.

Did great! No issues at all. At about 300 miles changed from the oem 46T in the back to a 44. Made a big diff. Now more like a road bike, but still plenty of torque to handle the change. Have accidentally taken off in 2nd a few times and no issues... the motor can handle the change easily.

Wanted to show off some plastic that just arrived today:

Spent about 500 and now have the 2013 plastic. Will put it on tomorrow.

Don't hate the Red. It's actually quite nice (and will be available on Ebay soon), it's just that it's not my color. Just have never liked Red personally.

think I'm gonna really like the white though :)

Cheers :)
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #5522
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 886
That's going to look good on the bike, very stark and stand-out. I like it!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #5523
svenski
Eternally Grateful

Oddometer: 43
Speedometer Error

Is there a general consensus on the accuracy of the Versys' speedo? (as measured by GPS, police radar, CIA drone, etc.) The KLR is off by 5 mph at nearly all speeds except zero. Thanks and Cheers
Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #5524
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
That's going to look good on the bike, very stark and stand-out. I like it!
Hey thanks :)

Got everything on but the front fender, tape still curing for the fenda extenda.

I'm really really happy with the look. Kawa actually did pretty much the exact set up in the UK, except the plastic is yellow and the fork tubes are black, think it was a 2010. Our 2012 Yellow has black front plastic and a yellow tank. Our 2013 White has a lot of other parts blacked out, don't think there's any silver on it, even the swing arm is black.

I'm not trying to make it look just like a 2013 though, just have more contrast than the red.

AzItLies screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 05:25 PM Reason: finished product, fender on :)
Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #5525
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenski View Post
Is there a general consensus on the accuracy of the Versys' speedo? (as measured by GPS, police radar, CIA drone, etc.) The KLR is off by 5 mph at nearly all speeds except zero. Thanks and Cheers
Yes the Versys as stock is just like the KLR in that regard. In my case, changing the rear sprocket from a 46 to a 44, the speedo is just about perfect. Any time I check it with the gps it's either exact or within 1 mph.

another benefit with the 44 is that in 4th gear, the speedo and the rpms match. 40 mph is 4k rpm, 50 mph is 5k rpm, etc. Makes it really easy to determine which gear yer in if u lose track.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #5526
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Yes the Versys as stock is just like the KLR in that regard. In my case, changing the rear sprocket from a 46 to a 44, the speedo is just about perfect. Any time I check it with the gps it's either exact or within 1 mph.
Important to note with this that while the speedo gets corrected with the gearing change, the odometer was spot on prior, and now you've messed with that. So it's going to report more miles than you've actually gone. It's pretty standard with most Japanese bikes - Odo is right on the nose, speedometer is about 5-10% off.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #5527
Davy F
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
Looks sporty but what happened to your rear subframe?
I like the looks without them. I never carry a pillion and I only have a Givi 33 ltr topbox which is really just used as a helmet safe when I'm off the bike. I have to put them back on for my Givi panniers obviously. Taking them off, it was a simple removal job. They didn't appear to me to be structural other than should you carry a passenger or have the bike set up with the panniers and I've had no problems in over 5000 miles (and I've taken off over umpteen jumps on the road with no ill effects ). I've never heard of anyone coming to grief after removing them and until someone comes up with proof positive, I'll leave them off bar when necessary.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #5528
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Important to note with this that while the speedo gets corrected with the gearing change, the odometer was spot on prior, and now you've messed with that. So it's going to report more miles than you've actually gone. It's pretty standard with most Japanese bikes - Odo is right on the nose, speedometer is about 5-10% off.
You are correct except in one point, what's showing on the odo is now actually low, not high.

Changed my sprocket at 300 miles on the bike. Take cur mileage and subtract the 300, multiply by 1.05 (think it's actually like 4.67xxxxxx % diff), then add the 300 back to get exact mileage.

Also when checking mileage per tank, trip odo X 1.05 gives actual mileage.

Love the way that Yellow looks Davy, great contrast going on there.

Cheers
Old 03-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #5529
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
A BMW - GS style beak has been kicking around Malaysia for a while so I purchased one only to discover that it is an ill fitting, substandard POS with sub-standard mounting brackets. In the typical Asian business model the Seller refused to refund my money which sent me on a quest to do it right

Here is the finished product, attached with the same Kawi screws as the side panels. Paint is a rattle can for these pics and does not match but gives you the general idea. It does not look bad in black, although I think I will paint mine red.

It is a 3 pieces part - the 2 side filler panels and the beak. One can run just the side panels or c/w beak as the style strikes you
I am going to run my bike like this, less beak.

Mounting screws are the same Kawi fairing screws

I made a few extras should anyone fancy one. 2010 models and later as that is all I have to build it off.
Side faring panels only 115.00 USD
Side fairings c/w beak 160.00 USD

For those of you that like a beak:

I am not really a fan of the beak but I do like the side panels.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #5530
SoSlow
Having fun

Quote:
Hey thanks :)

Got everything on but the front fender, tape still curing for the fenda extenda.
I'm looking at picking one of those up - I watched an installation guide and it seemed not too difficult to do, but how hard is it to line everything up so it's not all cockeyed?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #5531
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
I'm looking at picking one of those up - I watched an installation guide and it seemed not too difficult to do, but how hard is it to line everything up so it's not all cockeyed?
Oh it's not hard at all, quite easy.

I used 3m Trim tape to attach it. Autozone seems to always have it.

use sand paper to rough up the sides, then rubbing alcohol to clean them, then use a hair dryer to heat the sides up a bit.

I put 4 strips length wise on the fenda extenda first, keeping the red tape on it so it could be pressed hard and sealed to the piece.

then use a knife to peel off the red tape and heat everything with a hair dryer again. When putting the together, do the very bottom of the fender first, then all the rest will just fit together perfectly. they are made for specific bikes so they'll be a perfect match.

Cheers
Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #5532
Hoghead
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Even though I made it, I am not sold on the beak for several reasons. Myy own bike is now running with just the side filler panels

The stock Versys anteater nose looks like the designer had a few beers at lunch and when he came back he forgot where he was and sent if off to production
These side panels fill in that gap and IMHO make it look finished and less like an anteater

I now think that I will paint the entire bike and do the side panels the body colour
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #5533
SoSlow
Having fun

Quote:
Oh it's not hard at all, quite easy.

I used 3m Trim tape to attach it. Autozone seems to always have it.

use sand paper to rough up the sides, then rubbing alcohol to clean them, then use a hair dryer to heat the sides up a bit.

I put 4 strips length wise on the fenda extenda first, keeping the red tape on it so it could be pressed hard and sealed to the piece.

then use a knife to peel off the red tape and heat everything with a hair dryer again. When putting the together, do the very bottom of the fender first, then all the rest will just fit together perfectly. they are made for specific bikes so they'll be a perfect match.

Cheers
Great info, thanks! I've read a bunch of places that say the fender extender is a great idea but was sitting on the fence. I do believe I'll be ordering one this weekend and will get it installed before the riding season starts.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #5534
EgyptianRider
adventurer & writer

Oddometer: 12
Here is mine
Old 03-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #5535
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
A BMW - GS style beak has been kicking around Malaysia for a while so I purchased one only to discover that it is an ill fitting, substandard POS with sub-standard mounting brackets. In the typical Asian business model the Seller refused to refund my money which sent me on a quest to do it right

Here is the finished product, attached with the same Kawi screws as the side panels. Paint is a rattle can for these pics and does not match but gives you the general idea. It does not look bad in black, although I think I will paint mine red.

It is a 3 pieces part - the 2 side filler panels and the beak. One can run just the side panels or c/w beak as the style strikes you
I am going to run my bike like this, less beak.

Mounting screws are the same Kawi fairing screws

I made a few extras should anyone fancy one. 2010 models and later as that is all I have to build it off.
Side faring panels only 115.00 USD
Side fairings c/w beak 160.00 USD

For those of you that like a beak:

OK, to back up a few posts, whom is making these, or what is the source?

Or are they "inmate" made?

I did not follow the story line apparently.
Even if they are a tad off they would make great molds for a carbon fiber project...

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote