Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #181
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Question:

I've noticed a slight oil leak from the allen head plugs on the right side of the motor (parts #3 in attached).

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560031

There doesn't appear to be anything under them or any thread sealer on them, and tbey aren't loose. I haven't had time to run by the dealer, nor do I overly trust them. Can I just unscrew them, clean, put some thread sealer on them and re-install?

Like someone else said, just snug them up. Mine were ridiculously loose (in my opinion). I grabbed a quarter inch ratchet and just snugged them all up (both sides of engine). I never had any oil leaking, but it wouldn't surprise me that it would leak with how loose they were.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #182
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,502
After reading about the Tigers I did tighten all of the bolts I could reach when I first took delivery, and did find some of them horribly loose.

However, I did find the oil pan bolts had loosened up a little. I have tightened them back up again and hopefully that will solve the problem. (Thinking the ground effect blew the oil upwards making it look like it was coming from the allen plugs.) Another however, is why they loosened back up after I tightened them up already, and again, hopefully, this is going to be a reoccurring issue.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #183
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
However, I did find the oil pan bolts had loosened up a little.
I have the same experience with some bolts. I think the small, but high frequency vibration of the Triple will shake them loose. A drop of blue Loctite has fixed this generally. And blue is still easy to get out if need be.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #184
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
My tiger has roughly 2000 miles on it and has been getting progressively harder to shift. It actually got stuck in 5th and I took it in, they couldn't find anything and told me by the way they were not a triumph dealer at the end of that day. I let it go as there was no need telling them they could have told me that from the beginning.

I took it home and it shifted, just not as nice as it once did. Since it didn't get stuck I took it for a ride, it got stuck in gear again and stuck good. After limping home in 6th and letting it rest while I had a few beers, it shifts again, just hard.

Taking it to new dealer today, I towed it home in my truck.

Will report back here when we know something.
Similar experience yesterday. Shift lever went "limp" and I had to creatively make my way to dealer (10miles away) who just happened to be open. Triumph trained wrench said he had just done one the day before and it was a recall; shift lever return spring- warranty/no charge work.

Does Triumph send this info out or has it become the responsibility of the consumer to take care of their business?

Anyhow it looks like a $3.17 item (from BikeBandit).

Get it done- this could have been a real problem if I was motoring around on the fire roads of West Virginia (my tentative plan in a couple weeks).

Part #12

Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #185
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Similar experience yesterday. Shift lever went "limp" and I had to creatively make my way to dealer (10miles away) who just happened to be open. Triumph trained wrench said he had just done one the day before and it was a recall; shift lever return spring- warranty/no charge work.

Does Triumph send this info out or has it become the responsibility of the consumer to take care of their business?

Anyhow it looks like a $3.17 item (from BikeBandit).

Get it done- this could have been a real problem if I was motoring around on the fire roads of West Virginia (my tentative plan in a couple weeks).

Part #12

Did you have any warnings signs before the failure?

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #186
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Mine is actually a bent shaft, hoping they do the spring at the same time. My problem started small and got big very fast.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #187
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn View Post
Did you have any warnings signs before the failure?
Very little. Approximately two stop signs before failure it was extremely difficult to get into first gear.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #188
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Very little. Approximately two stop signs before failure it was extremely difficult to get into first gear.

Thanks

Has anyone seen this? I removed my rear wheel and noticed wear marks grooved into this bushing.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #189
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,078
Quote:
Thanks

Has anyone seen this?
Very common.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #190
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Very common.

So...just replace it every couple of tire changes I guess?

Old 03-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #191
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:

Triumph removed the ability to check for TSBs on their website so you are forced to waste everyone's time and call customer service. It's not a recall issue so they won't notify you, even though you could get fucked by it failing at the wrong time I suppose. About the only time you might get it repaired without being pro-active would be if you brought your bike in for service and your mechanic was nice enough to check for outstanding TSBs. For those of us that do all our own work it's CYA. I make sure to let Triumph know it's a crappy policy whenever I have the misfortune of calling customer service.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #192
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Or, don't worry about it.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #193
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
It's a spacer, not a seal. It's fine as is.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #194
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
It is the seal running surface though, the seal is worthless when the runner is grooved that bad. Some wear is fine but Id replace those.
Tip, pack the seal groove (V) with grease before you put the runner/spacer back on. Helps with the wear.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #195
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
It is the seal running surface though, the seal is worthless when the runner is grooved that bad. Some wear is fine but Id replace those.
Tip, pack the seal groove (V) with grease before you put the runner/spacer back on. Helps with the wear.
+1
I flipped mine at the last tire change, but will soon be replacing it with a new spacer. Packing it with grease helped.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote