Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #1726
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
For what it's worth, SIA is the mileage til next service menu page. I suspect your sequence of button presses is wrong and you end up toggling past the ABS menu.
Just had it in to the dealer and they needed to add the software from when they replaced the console last fall.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #1727
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,083
I've never felt the need to turn mine off-my performance isn't up to that level off-road, and I tend to take frequent breaks to sight-see off-pavement and don't want the aggravation of scrolling through the menu every startup.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #1728
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,080
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post

Still a little icy in Idaho to ride. But I tried...

May be a dumb question but don't they sell ice tires for the 800xc... saw a picture of it but it was a sponsored rider so they may have been made specially..?
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #1729
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,080
Laugh To anyone who has bought the Triumph hard luggage....

How you like it?? I've heard mixed reviews from vids and testers but i wanted a personal answer... so what do you all like/dislike about the Triumph luggage! If you don't have triumph luggage, whatchu got and how you like it?!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #1730
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
How you like it?? I've heard mixed reviews from vids and testers but i wanted a personal answer... so what do you all like/dislike about the Triumph luggage! If you don't have triumph luggage, whatchu got and how you like it?!
The Triumph panniers are super convenient for road trips -- with the emphasis on ROAD. Easy on, easy off, and the left bag is HUGE. I can put my XD4, gloves, and mesh jacket inside.

But go on any road with bumps bigger than tar snakes, and the bags start banging around, making all sorts of noise. And you start to worry about the integrity of the little plastic hooks supporting all that weight. One tipover and forget it -- pray that you have some cargo straps with you, or your buddies have enough space on their bikes to store your gear.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #1731
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:
I didn't go with the OEM cases because of them easily breaking (pretty much every review they broke side cases off), and went with SeaHorse cases mounted to Happy Trails pannier racks. All info here...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13968

Glad I went with the SeaHorses, they crash just fine. No damage whatsoever.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #1732
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Talking

Shhhh... Tiger sleeping.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #1733
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:
May be a dumb question but don't they sell ice tires for the 800xc... saw a picture of it but it was a sponsored rider so they may have been made specially..?
They used ice tires in the Icon Portland to Dakar video, and yes you can get ice tires for pretty much any bike/tire size you may need. They just don't work so well once back on pavement. You can even use studs in your knobs as a semi permanent solution to get you through some icy places.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #1734
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707819
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:33 AM   #1735
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:

I have the OEM luggage. I bought it specifically because of the easy on/easy off feature. No other luggage option offers this. I do plan to use mine mostly on the road.

the left side is HUGE. The right side not so much so.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #1736
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I have the OEM luggage. I bought it specifically because of the easy on/easy off feature. No other luggage option offers this. I do plan to use mine mostly on the road.

the left side is HUGE. The right side not so much so.
Jesse Luggage, lift lid, turn handle, lift off.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #1737
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
it would be cool to keep the luggage conversation in the luggage thread...

Jesse luggage is twice the cost of triumph bags.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #1738
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
it would be cool to keep the luggage conversation in the luggage thread...

Jesse luggage is twice the cost of triumph bags.
To slightly delay the point. As far as breaking, sometimes things are suppose to break.

You have to ask yourself, as inconvenient as it would be have to strap your luggage to your bike until you can get a new luggage base, is that worse than having to replace your frame because the luggage held like a champ, and the force of the impact bent your sub-frame. I am really disappointed the rear sub-frame is welded. But that is another topic.

My '05 Tiger had a 0 speed tip over, when it was hit in a parking lot. The rear sub-frame was tweaked, slightly, but tweaked still.

Would that story have been different if the stock panniers for my '12 Tiger 800XC where on that bike, with a bit more give, would the story have been different?

But as far as this topic, I kinda think dirt riding, and luggage for such, is fair, but that's me.

cheers y'all!
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:55 AM   #1739
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
To slightly delay the point. As far as breaking, sometimes things are suppose to break.

cheers y'all!
Agreed, to a point. It certainly can be beneficial having an engineered failure point. Make something too strong, and it just moves the breakage somewhere else.

But I have read several instances, including one magazine article, of the OEM luggage breaking from just off road riding, no crashes involved -- a valid concern for the off road setup thread.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #1740
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Stick to soft luggage for any type of off road riding and both your limbs and bike will thank you. However that's a whole different discussion as well.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote