Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #12181
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,551
Are you referring to the tank tap (with the key slot) or the reserve knob at the left side by the fuel pump?

Personally I never had any problems with either in two RD07s but I guess some WD40 might help...

If it's the key slot perhaps someone tried to force it open to siphon gas?
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #12182
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
Are you referring to the tank tap (with the key slot) or the reserve knob at the left side by the fuel pump?

Personally I never had any problems with either in two RD07s but I guess some WD40 might help...

If it's the key slot perhaps someone tried to force it open to siphon gas?
It's the reserve knob at the left side of the tank... I need to take it out and clean it on the inside, but how?

Thanks

Africa_Twin screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 08:15 AM
Africa_Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #12183
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa_Twin View Post
It's the reserve knob at the left side of the tank... I need to take it out and clean it, but how?

Thanks
Take the tank off (you have to remove the knob first, there is a screw deep in that hole, then pull out the plastic knob), and then you will have full access to the switch (it's actually on the bottom right side of the tank, remember to take the gas tube out as well before removing). Apply some WD there and turn it both ways from ON to RESERVE until you feel it getting smoother. I don't believe it can stick from the inside so it probably just needs some lubrication. There might be enough room to spray WD there without removing the whole tank, I'd try that first.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #12184
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
Take the tank off (you have to remove the knob first, there is a screw deep in that hole, then pull out the plastic knob), and then you will have full access to the switch (it's actually on the bottom right side of the tank, remember to take the gas tube out as well before removing). Apply some WD there and turn it both ways from ON to RESERVE until you feel it getting smoother. I don't believe it can stick from the inside so it probably just needs some lubrication. There might be enough room to spray WD there without removing the whole tank, I'd try that first.
Thanks for that

I was actually asking how (if possible at all) to take the fuel switch (fuel tap) apart after removing it from the tank.

I would like to clean/rebuild it on the inside, doing something similar to this (if possible at all on the AT): http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuild...tcock/fuel_tap
Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #12185
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,517
2013 naats

Update:
Any make and model is welcome. Of course, Africa Twins are featured but any derivative of the model will work. In essence, any Dakar style bike.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #12186
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:
Thanks for that

I was actually asking how (if possible at all) to take the fuel switch (fuel tap) apart after removing it from the tank.

I would like to clean/rebuild it on the inside, doing something similar to this (if possible at all on the AT): http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuild...tcock/fuel_tap
Yeah, I kinda figured you would know of all that, but I'm afraid that's as far as I can help you...

My previous @ was leaking fuel there (dripping) when in the OFF position and I had looked how to replace that tap but didn't manage to find a way to take that thing off the tank...
Old 03-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #12187
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Thanks for that

I like how Haynes will mention "the tap should not be removed unnecessarily" And I tend to agree. If it's not leaking...don't mess
with it. The fuel should lubricate it on the inside and as already mentioned try spraying some lube on the outside and exercise it.
If your really set on removing it I believe their is an oring to replace and a strainer to inspect/clean or replace.

GSPD750 screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 02:20 PM
GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #12188
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
I like how Haynes will mention "the tap should not be removed unnecessarily" And I tend to agree. If it's not leaking...don't mess
with it. The fuel should lubricate it on the inside and as already mentioned try spraying some lube on the outside and exercise it.
If your really set on removing it I believe their is an oring to replace and a strainer to inspect/clean or replace.
Hey GSPD you who own an AT in Canada: I'm prepping mine to take to Vancouver in May and stocking up on spares. So far I have on my list:

• chain and sprockets
  • air and oil filters
  • front and back brake pads
If I need things like a CDU I know how to get them to Canada off German ebay, but is there anything you can think of that I should add to my list of spares? How is it sourcing parts in Canada? Is there overlap for parts with other models?

DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #12189
KT1
RD07A Adventure

Oddometer: 202
Royal Flush

http://www.onroad.hu/cikk/royal-flush-avagy-honda-nagy-turaenduroinak-harom-evtizede.html
Honda XRV-750 -1998
http://www.taxi240.hu
KT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #12190
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicDomingo View Post
Hey GSPD you who own an AT in Canada: I'm prepping mine to take to Vancouver in May and stocking up on spares. So far I have on my list:

• chain and sprockets
  • air and oil filters
  • front and back brake pads
If I need things like a CDU I know how to get them to Canada off German ebay, but is there anything you can think of that I should add to my list of spares? How is it sourcing parts in Canada? Is there overlap for parts with other models?
Yes the AT does share with other models here such as side cover gaskets, orings, etc... Most of the cables such as clutch, throttle cables etc are more specific and won't come up good however the speedo inner cable is a good number here.
You won't find the air filter and if you like OEM filters like i do then bring lots. The (larger) upper chain slider you won't find here but the lower one you will. The OEM front sprocket is good here including of course the chain but the rear sprocket is a bit more difficult to find.
If your going to tear into the engine you won't find head gaskets however the valve cover gaskets are good as with the cylinder base gaskets.
Carb inlet rubbers you won't find. Clutch friction discs and springs can be sourced from EBC here on ebay. Those are a few examples. The R/R might be hard to find but you can always go MOSFET.

More and more AT'S are coming to North America and maybe it's time I put some items i have up for sale (some I won't use) in the flea market.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #12191
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
it's time I put some items i have up for sale
Can I suggest a quick "heads-up" to the guys on the thread before the stuff hit the FM?
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #12192
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Can I suggest a quick "heads-up" to the guys on the thread before the stuff hit the FM?
If anybody needs any specific parts, I can do my best to bring them. I'm having a long think about what I want to do with my AT as a hobby in Vancouver and am trying to bring as much with me as possible.

If I find a good enough deal on an RD 03 or RD04 there might be 2 new ATs in Canada.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #12193
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
Yes the AT does share with other models here such as side cover gaskets, orings, etc... Most of the cables such as clutch, throttle cables etc are more specific and won't come up good however the speedo inner cable is a good number here.
You won't find the air filter and if you like OEM filters like i do then bring lots. The (larger) upper chain slider you won't find here but the lower one you will. The OEM front sprocket is good here including of course the chain but the rear sprocket is a bit more difficult to find.
If your going to tear into the engine you won't find head gaskets however the valve cover gaskets are good as with the cylinder base gaskets.
Carb inlet rubbers you won't find. Clutch friction discs and springs can be sourced from EBC here on ebay. Those are a few examples. The R/R might be hard to find but you can always go MOSFET.

More and more AT'S are coming to North America and maybe it's time I put some items i have up for sale (some I won't use) in the flea market.
Thanks man. It really is a smaller world now and I have some contacts here that can send me parts, plus I figure I'll be back on this side of the pond from time to time to stock up. I'm adding clutch plates and springs to my list because that's a maintenance which will be due soon.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #12194
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Ok then...

Carbon/Kevlar windshield for an RD07A. This windshield from BOANO comes undrilled. I have drilled and fitted 10-32 wellnuts. It's plug n' play. I painted the backside flat black to reduce glare.

Side panel for an RD07A. This panel would will be crazy $ to ship overseas so don't ask. Their has been a repair but it was done proper in a composite shop. New 10-32 well nuts as well.

A couple of small minor scratches on top of the decal.

The repair.

OEM windshield for an RD07A.

Exhaust gaurd for link pipe as seen on Rugged Roads in silver if you have an aftermarket silencer.

A used OEM Shindengen Regulator Rectifier SH538D-13 from an RD07A. It was removed serviceable and has a chipped heat sink fin from when my chain broke and flew off a few years back. I believe it will fit a Transalp too aside from the round connector. I have another new R/R of the same type which I will keep as a spare for my TA. I will sell this used one cheap and it would make a good spare for someone.

I really haven't hammered out any prices but your welcome to PM me if your interested. Shipping is always a bitch depending on where you live.

I'm looking at some new Ricor intimadators for my AT and moving some of this stuff that I may never use just might fund it.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #12195
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicDomingo View Post
If anybody needs any specific parts, I can do my best to bring them. I'm having a long think about what I want to do with my AT as a hobby in Vancouver and am trying to bring as much with me as possible.

If I find a good enough deal on an RD 03 or RD04 there might be 2 new ATs in Canada.
Yeah...OEM air filters for my AT...and TA.