ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #61
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon
 
vtwin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 7,176
Nice build and something I could do. I certainly don't have the talent to do what RTW Doug or others have done. You've shown it could be done simple and with lower cost.
__________________
"Alles hat ein Ende--nur die Wurst, sie hat zwei"
Monroe.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #62
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: valemount,bc
Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Nice build and something I could do. I certainly don't have the talent to do what RTW Doug or others have done. You've shown it could be done simple and with lower cost.
cutting the gas tank in half length way and adding about 4" or so was tricky because of the compound curves.I welded it with a 000 tip on my oxy-acetalene torch.Someday i'll try to get a couple of pictures of the rack and box mounts so you can see how tough it is.One friend says it looks like a mini roll cage.
xlcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #63
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Inyokern - middle of frixxen nowhere
Oddometer: 208
Here are some pics of my bike. I use Photobucket as a image host, simple to add pics - after uploading pics into your Photobucket account, click on the image link button and paste into the Adv post edit window. These days there are probably other options besides PB.

I went through a drag racing phase - Inyokern airport at the time was the oldest operating strip in the world I think (?). Anyway, there was a small group racing Sportsters and bigtwins. These guys were racers, not group riders etc. The Man was Earl Burley who owned (and still does) a business (Burley Performance) of building race engines and doing general mod work on Harleys. He was racing ProStreet bikes in Sportster and Bigtwin - street legal bikes running low to mid 9's! He built my engine as a mild street engine with the bones to go further. In my brief attempts (8 runs total) I got it into the mid 12's before the FAA shut the strip down in 06. I think with a racing gas tune, power shifting, and a few more runs I would have gotten into the 11's. Despite a motocross upbringing I never could bring myself to do clutchless shifts, Earl never understood that. BTW, the Force Winder doesn't knock your knee but it wouldn't be the set-up for an adventure bike!

As you can see, I live in the desert, second valley from death, edge of the middle of nowhere. That's my wife with her Wolfie.




__________________
2008 WR250R
2006 Ninja 250
2012 SYM Wolf Classic 150
2012 NC700X (HonDog)

mojave screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 07:01 AM
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #64
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: valemount,bc
Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
Here are some pics of my bike. I use Photobucket as a image host, simple to add pics - after uploading pics into your Photobucket account, click on the image link button and paste into the Adv post edit window. These days there are probably other options besides PB.

I went through a drag racing phase - Inyokern airport at the time was the oldest operating strip in the world I think (?). Anyway, there was a small group racing Sportsters and bigtwins. These guys were racers, not group riders etc. The Man was Earl Burley who owned (and still does) a business (Burley Performance) of building race engines and doing general mod work on Harleys. He was racing ProStreet bikes in Sportster and Bigtwin - street legal bikes running low to mid 9's! He built my engine as a mild street engine with the bones to go further. In my brief attempts (8 runs total) I got it into the mid 12's before the FAA shut the strip down in 06. I think with a racing gas tune, power shifting, and a few more runs I would have gotten into the 11's. Despite a motocross upbringing I never could bring myself to do clutchless shifts, Earl never understood that. BTW, the Force Winder doesn't knock your knee but it wouldn't be the set-up for an adventure bike!

As you can see, I live in the desert, second valley from death, edge of the middle of nowhere. That's my wife with her Wolfie.




I like your Sport and those nice dry mountains .I wrote more but somehow they tell me I never logged in and lost all
xlcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #65
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon
 
vtwin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 7,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
cutting the gas tank in half length way and adding about 4" or so was tricky because of the compound curves.I welded it with a 000 tip on my oxy-acetalene torch.Someday i'll try to get a couple of pictures of the rack and box mounts so you can see how tough it is.One friend says it looks like a mini roll cage.

Just figured it out that it's a little over 5 gallons, nice! The custom tank is already larger than the peanut, so you had a good starting point. Nope, I can't weld, I'd have to farm that out. Interested in the pictures of the rack as well.
__________________
"Alles hat ein Ende--nur die Wurst, sie hat zwei"
Monroe.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #66
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: valemount,bc
Oddometer: 137
v-twin,nice that you are interested in building your own ride.When I sealed the inside of the tank with Keem, I drained the wash solution and it filled a 20 liter oil pail to the brim.This weekend I'll try and get some pictures taken.
xlcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #67
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: valemount,bc
Oddometer: 137
some more photos as requested





xlcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #68
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon
 
vtwin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 7,176
That is a nice and stout looking rack.
__________________
"Alles hat ein Ende--nur die Wurst, sie hat zwei"
Monroe.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #69
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Seven Springs NC
Oddometer: 750
Thanks for posting pic of your rack.. I am on the fence between three saddlebags- Wolfman Expedition/Mosko/Nelson Rigg but most likely going with Nelson Rigg so I can save up for my trip more quickly. I need to get a loan for new heat pump this coming winter so I can rent my house.

Anyway, from the look of your rack, I think it is brilliant because you provided three braces to support your ammo box (I know it is heavy because my buddy has two on his rat bike) I wonder what size of tube did you use and how much do your rack weight if you have any idea?

Thanks!!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014