Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #61
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,176
Nice build and something I could do. I certainly don't have the talent to do what RTW Doug or others have done. You've shown it could be done simple and with lower cost.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #62
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Nice build and something I could do. I certainly don't have the talent to do what RTW Doug or others have done. You've shown it could be done simple and with lower cost.
cutting the gas tank in half length way and adding about 4" or so was tricky because of the compound curves.I welded it with a 000 tip on my oxy-acetalene torch.Someday i'll try to get a couple of pictures of the rack and box mounts so you can see how tough it is.One friend says it looks like a mini roll cage.
xlcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #63
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Here are some pics of my bike. I use Photobucket as a image host, simple to add pics - after uploading pics into your Photobucket account, click on the image link button and paste into the Adv post edit window. These days there are probably other options besides PB.

I went through a drag racing phase - Inyokern airport at the time was the oldest operating strip in the world I think (?). Anyway, there was a small group racing Sportsters and bigtwins. These guys were racers, not group riders etc. The Man was Earl Burley who owned (and still does) a business (Burley Performance) of building race engines and doing general mod work on Harleys. He was racing ProStreet bikes in Sportster and Bigtwin - street legal bikes running low to mid 9's! He built my engine as a mild street engine with the bones to go further. In my brief attempts (8 runs total) I got it into the mid 12's before the FAA shut the strip down in 06. I think with a racing gas tune, power shifting, and a few more runs I would have gotten into the 11's. Despite a motocross upbringing I never could bring myself to do clutchless shifts, Earl never understood that. BTW, the Force Winder doesn't knock your knee but it wouldn't be the set-up for an adventure bike!

As you can see, I live in the desert, second valley from death, edge of the middle of nowhere. That's my wife with her Wolfie.

2012 NC700X (HonDog)

mojave screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 07:01 AM
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #64
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
Here are some pics of my bike. I use Photobucket as a image host, simple to add pics - after uploading pics into your Photobucket account, click on the image link button and paste into the Adv post edit window. These days there are probably other options besides PB.

I went through a drag racing phase - Inyokern airport at the time was the oldest operating strip in the world I think (?). Anyway, there was a small group racing Sportsters and bigtwins. These guys were racers, not group riders etc. The Man was Earl Burley who owned (and still does) a business (Burley Performance) of building race engines and doing general mod work on Harleys. He was racing ProStreet bikes in Sportster and Bigtwin - street legal bikes running low to mid 9's! He built my engine as a mild street engine with the bones to go further. In my brief attempts (8 runs total) I got it into the mid 12's before the FAA shut the strip down in 06. I think with a racing gas tune, power shifting, and a few more runs I would have gotten into the 11's. Despite a motocross upbringing I never could bring myself to do clutchless shifts, Earl never understood that. BTW, the Force Winder doesn't knock your knee but it wouldn't be the set-up for an adventure bike!

As you can see, I live in the desert, second valley from death, edge of the middle of nowhere. That's my wife with her Wolfie.

I like your Sport and those nice dry mountains .I wrote more but somehow they tell me I never logged in and lost all
Old 02-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #65
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
cutting the gas tank in half length way and adding about 4" or so was tricky because of the compound curves.I welded it with a 000 tip on my oxy-acetalene torch.Someday i'll try to get a couple of pictures of the rack and box mounts so you can see how tough it is.One friend says it looks like a mini roll cage.

Just figured it out that it's a little over 5 gallons, nice! The custom tank is already larger than the peanut, so you had a good starting point. Nope, I can't weld, I'd have to farm that out. Interested in the pictures of the rack as well.

unknown
Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #66
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

v-twin,nice that you are interested in building your own ride.When I sealed the inside of the tank with Keem, I drained the wash solution and it filled a 20 liter oil pail to the brim.This weekend I'll try and get some pictures taken.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #67
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

some more photos as requested

Old 03-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #68
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

That is a nice and stout looking rack.

unknown
Old 05-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #69
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 750
Thanks for posting pic of your rack.. I am on the fence between three saddlebags- Wolfman Expedition/Mosko/Nelson Rigg but most likely going with Nelson Rigg so I can save up for my trip more quickly. I need to get a loan for new heat pump this coming winter so I can rent my house.

Anyway, from the look of your rack, I think it is brilliant because you provided three braces to support your ammo box (I know it is heavy because my buddy has two on his rat bike) I wonder what size of tube did you use and how much do your rack weight if you have any idea?

Thanks!!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote