ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #21691
Hack
Meet George Jetson

Oddometer: 3,551
No problem. Thanks anyway Mike. I will be faster when you mention the Honda.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #21692
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,812
Times they are a changing

Beaubier on a Yamaha won the Daytona 200 today. But the big news was that two, not one but two, women finished in the top 10. Wow. That is great.

Daytona 200 results

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #21693
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,768
Pulled the exhaust of the WR to clean it up. The header looked to be covered in dirt and rusting. I had plans for cleaning and then painting it with height temp header paint. I was surprised as I cleaned all the caked on dirt to discover it must be made of stainless.

I'm thinking I'll still finish cleaning it up and paint it. The parts back from the header has several sections of the finish rubbed off by sand dirt and mud from the rear tire.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #21694
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
You got a nephew in the scouts or something?
You must have forgotten about the rent a tent venture.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #21695
Hack
Meet George Jetson

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
You must have forgotten about the rent a tent venture.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #21696
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Beaubier on a Yamaha won the Daytona 200 today. But the big news was that two, not one but two, women finished in the top 10. Wow. That is great.

Daytona 200 results

jeff
LOL! Jeff...We were going to watch the 200 this afternoon on Speed Channel! Why did I log on this morning!? I should have known better! LOL! Oh well, it should still be fun to watch.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #21697
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
LOL! Jeff...We were going to watch the 200 this afternoon on Speed Channel! Why did I log on this morning!? I should have known better! LOL! Oh well, it should still be fun to watch.
Ooops. My bad. Sorry Dude.

jeff

Old 03-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #21698
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Pulled the exhaust of the WR to clean it up. The header looked to be covered in dirt and rusting. I had plans for cleaning and then painting it with height temp header paint. I was surprised as I cleaned all the caked on dirt to discover it must be made of stainless.

I'm thinking I'll still finish cleaning it up and paint it. The parts back from the header has several sections of the finish rubbed off by sand dirt and mud from the rear tire.
Why bother painting stainless? It's not going to rust. Just use a wire wheel or steel wool occasionally to clean the crud off.

MADSTROM screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 10:10 AM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #21699
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Why bother painting stainless? It's not going to rust. Just use a wire wheel or steel wool occasionally to clean the crud off.
Also, as you clean stainless steel, always use Scotchbrite or a woven material, never a wire wheel. If you can find a stainless brissel wire wheel, that would work, but woven products for cleaning are best.

If you use a carbon wire wheel(a standard wire wheel), the carbon and iron from it will deposit on the surface and you will get surface rust. It does not penetrate and cause harmful corrosion, but just cause it to look bad faster.

I didn't think I would ever use my past life experiences for good...

HAPPY ST. PATTIES DAY!!!
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #21700
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Also, as you clean stainless steel, always use Scotchbrite or a woven material, never a wire wheel. If you can find a stainless brissel wire wheel, that would work, but woven products for cleaning are best.

If you use a carbon wire wheel(a standard wire wheel), the carbon and iron from it will deposit on the surface and you will get surface rust. It does not penetrate and cause harmful corrosion, but just cause it to look bad faster.

I didn't think I would ever use my past life experiences for good...

HAPPY ST. PATTIES DAY!!!
Soda-blasting also works well. Not too abrasive, but gets rid of the crud build-up and leaves a sparkling finish.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #21701
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 803
Fogging Face Shield

Call me crazy but with all the talk last week about Gortex and how to treat it I decided to test my gear this morning in the pouring rain. So out I went. Before I could get to the highway my face shield fogged up and I couldn't see two cars ahead of me. Back to the house I went.

To make a long story short I gathered all the anti-fog crap I could find in the house. Motorcycle, scuba, car .... anything I had that said anti-fog. After five or six trips out and back into the rain the ONLY thing that worked was Cascade dishwashing soap. I put one drop on the tip of my finger, rubbed it into the inside of the shield and bam .... even in the pouring rain it never fogged.

In regard to the Gortex gear, everything did well. From the gloves to the boots all I had was a small wet spot on my left forearm. Since the rain didn't bead up like its supposed to do I guess its time to re-treat the Gortex. I love my Sidi Boots!

Its time for some green beer.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #21702
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

OK, I won't bother painting it. I used a little WD40, shop towels and elbow grease to clean it up so far. Mostly I had been worried about rust because what was caked on did look like surface rust. The muffler was painted previously and has many places where there is just shiny metal now because of dirt getting kicked up by the rear wheel.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #21703
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Call me crazy but with all the talk last week about Gortex and how to treat it I decided to test my gear this morning in the pouring rain. So out I went. Before I could get to the highway my face shield fogged up and I couldn't see two cars ahead of me. Back to the house I went.

To make a long story short I gathered all the anti-fog crap I could find in the house. Motorcycle, scuba, car .... anything I had that said anti-fog. After five or six trips out and back into the rain the ONLY thing that worked was Cascade dishwashing soap. I put one drop on the tip of my finger, rubbed it into the inside of the shield and bam .... even in the pouring rain it never fogged.

In regard to the Gortex gear, everything did well. From the gloves to the boots all I had was a small wet spot on my left forearm. Since the rain didn't bead up like its supposed to do I guess its time to re-treat the Gortex. I love my Sidi Boots!

Its time for some green beer.
Pin lock shields work.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #21704
Jeff Munn

SPOT transponder info needed

I've never considered using one, but that video of "where the F#ck is the bike" got me rattled. For the TAT this summer, I might consider it for Joe and I. That way his family could track our progress too.

Anyone here use one, and could offer me some advice? You can email me or PM me to keep it out of the way of the food discussions......

jeff

Old 03-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #21705
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 2,811
Laugh SPOT transponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
I've never considered using one, but that video of "where the F#ck is the bike" got me rattled. For the TAT this summer, I might consider it for Joe and I. That way his family could track our progress too.

Anyone here use one, and could offer me some advice? You can email me or PM me to keep it out of the way of the food discussions......

jeff
Jeff,
during the Iron Butt I followed/tracked and assited a mutual aquaintence of ours, Roger Sinclair, on Spot. It was very settling to be able to see and know exactly where he was in the middle of the night when I was trying to keep him awake and on track. Might want to get in touch with him and querry his info on it as he for sure would be able to offer the in's and outs of it....his life was being wagered on it working.
On a side note, it really makes one get anxious when you expect to see movement, and it doesn't show any.... but a quick cell call can do wonders...
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote