Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #16
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by revken View Post
I had a couple of djp chairs a long time ago, one on a sportster and another on a water bottle. My wife has a chronic pain illness that's buggered up riding pillion so is time to revisit the chair thing. Perhaps a complete outfit might be better

Build or buy , always hard to say.

Budget , can you do the fitting yourself ... time , the space. Space is important 'cause the bloody thing usually takes three times longer than you allowed for

Can you find something that suits your purpose and within budget is always a pain.

Throw pops or 3legs here a pm as they are the closest to you and have their ear to the ground to see what's out there.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #17
revken OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
There's a Vulcan with a premier chair at port Lincoln, k100 and watsonian at strath. Gotta wait for cmc op recovery before I get serious

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
revken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
revken OP
Adventurer

And a gt 750 and djp at Craigmore

Old 03-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
revken OP
Adventurer

I can't do any type of arc welding for medical reasons (pacemaker ) which makes building tricky.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Seriously ? ... mate , I wouldn't run that on a Vespa , seriously

At a quick stab , home made.

Keep the two top struts , maybe the rubber Alco suspension if it's not flogged out. The rest , straight to Wanless metals.
I think they were made somewhere around the Sydney area. Seen a few over the years, mostly with Westcar and Dusting bodies. They seem to have worked a lot better than you'd think. Bought one without the suspension and wheel many years ago because it had a nice Watsonian body on it. It was apparently off a GL1000.
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #21
FR700
Heckler™©®

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppozit View Post
I think they were made somewhere around the Sydney area. Seen a few over the years, mostly with Westcar and Dusting bodies. They seem to have worked a lot better than you'd think. Bought one without the suspension and wheel many years ago because it had a nice Watsonian body on it. It was apparently off a GL1000.

Fair call.

The radius bends on it are very neat so someone put some effort into it.

My judgement call was made from knowing how I ride all of mine and where ... did I mention the harley does brilliant power drifts on the bitumen in the first three gears ... little light drag on the chair brake and snap the throttle open.

A pic' without any spec's on material just makes it a bit harder to judge. I've looked at DJP frames and often wondered how they survived the rigors of our highway systems. Did see one in Lismore on an R75 that had the strut mounts held on with exhaust clamps , I was a good boy and kept my trap shut ... so I 'spose it pays to never write anything off.

Quote:
I can't do any type of arc welding for medical reasons (pacemaker ) which makes building tricky.

Well that does rule out a lot of options.

My biased pick out of that list so far ;

K100 , if it is mid ' 85 and later. Will do everything you ask from high speed to dirt. Easy to add a car rear tyre if it doesn't already have one.

GT750 kwaka. Same as above except it'll take more work to get a car tyre in there and just less power to play with.

Both are fuel and ride propositions with low maintenance. TouringDave will vote for the GT understandably . Ask Dave as he has had ( and still has one , I think ) hooked to a chair.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
revken OP
Adventurer

So to build a new chassis, what material would you recommend? I could salvage the suspension, guard and uprights from it I think. I may be able to find someone to do the welding for me. Even if I did the cutting myself.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #23
FR700
Heckler™©®

Quote:
So to build a new chassis, what material would you recommend? I could salvage the suspension, guard and uprights from it I think. I may be able to find someone to do the welding for me. Even if I did the cutting myself.

... you've really gotta want one to build one and enjoy the process. The little things will nickle and dime you

FR700 screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 11:42 PM
FR700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #24
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
No idea on the frame. If it helps, we make a sub frame for the bike in left side fitment and we offer "leading" legs to lower the steering effort with the sidecar
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #25
revken OP
Adventurer

Cheers Jay, that's good to know. I'm going to give this frame away, if anyone would like the bits. I think I'll buy a chair complete sometime
Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #26
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,337
To answer your original question. The frame is home made with a trailer axle. Cut the mounts of and make news ones and run it.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #27
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
We offer a full left side mounting kit and our M72DX sidecar for left side fitment for your bike.
We are adding left side mounts all the time to the list of mounts we can make.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote