Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 319
Playas del Coco, Playa Tamarindo, Crash! 14-16Mar09

5000+ views! Take a bow all of you!
Here is a quick one from the early days. Photos lacking, but I was a real noob at the time.

Rewind to my first days with the “new” bike. Still getting into the swing of the whole ADV part of riding. The Chino debauchery has been set in stone as a complete failure and now behind me. I have now owned the DR since mid December and it is now March. It is time to ride to the horizon and not stop. Well at least for a few hours. Destination: Playas Del Coco, Guanacaste. I have a few friends there who I had not seen in a while, and why not?

The wife does not exist at this point in life and there are few things on my mind: . So lets get this show on the road.

1133 hrs. El Puente de Amistad.

It is only about 5 hours to Playas del Coco and from what I remember my friends were still at work when I arrived. So I find a nice shady spot at Ocean’s edge, grab a few barley sodas and watch time go by.
Playa del Coco

Sun has set, everyone is off work, showered and ready. Time to party . Even if I were writing this in 2008, I doubt I would remember much.

Meet Freddy(Right) mi Compa Colombiano and John (middle) the Frenchman. Freddy I have known since 2004 and John was working on a family Catamaran project they have in the area.

Then next day got a rather late start. By noon I have made it to Playa Tamarindo for a change in scenery.

Later in the day Freddy had escaped work early to arrive with a couple of surf boards. John came with his Boo and a whitty Brit was along as well. We took on a few waves while others snuggled up on the beach to wait for the 5 o’clock show.

No party on the second night. I had barely survived the first night and tomorrow the vacation is over.

1103. Back through the gateway of reality.

The end was near. I couldn't have been but 5 kms from home when disaster struck.

I had attempted a courtesy left with no oncoming traffic when the young lawyer in the grey car decided to roll a stop sign. I remember seeing only the back of her head as she rolled through. Why look both ways? Boom, rider down!

I somehow came off the bike, didn’t get my leg smashed and stuck the landing on my feet. As the dust was settling the driver exits the car and she says, “Ves, por eso odio las motociclistas.” I amazingly kept my mouth shut.

My fault? I don’t know. Had she stopped like she was supposed to, we wouldn’t have crashed. Had I stayed in my lane and made the turn wider… Opinions of the audience?

Thanks again for reading! More to come.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln

GRinCR screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 08:45 AM
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote