Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #406
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
I will say this:

I have a 06 I purchased new it now has 22,000 Miles on it, and has been the most rock solid bike I own. I had a radiator cap go bad and caused some over heating (boiling) easy fix at any automotive store. one headlight bulb burn out at 16K again easy fix and recommend doing both if your doing it.

The overflow tank had a connector break this to was an easy fix at the local ACE store. Oil change is easy-peasy straight forward, oil filters I use is a PH6017A and I have been running Rotella T6 5w40 both easily available at Walmart. (can do a quick change on the road in the Wally parking lot, and the automotive department may loan you a pan and dispose of the oil.

snip

As for what to look for; the standard condition of the drive line, and aesthetics etc.

Good luck!

A very underrated Motorcycle, I just do not understand why it's not more popular, That said, the Tiger 800 is selling like hot cakes out here..

I have a 2006 and love it too but wanted to comment on the radiator cap. From what I've read the Stant cap that was once recommended and is commonly stocked in auto parts stores has been changed and no longer fits right. Another old thread recommended a Subaru cap and I bought one from a dealer recently and it works fine and was only $10, the Subaru PN is 45137AE00B There is more info on all this at http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830264
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #407
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,494
Quote:
Look at my pic above again, sexy to me, just very well-endowed But yea I can kinda see the Dali surrealistic value there too.
I like the looks, now. When I first started looking at them as a possible purchase as an Adventure bike, I was not as accepting of the fueltank's looks.

Don't have'ta look at it if you're ridin' it.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #408
oliwoof
Pyrenees - paradise

Oddometer: 12
I bought a new one in 2006 which has now done 56k and apart from a throttle position sensor and steering head bearings it has proved to be a reliable and comfy bike. Took it to Morocco last year and it survived well, managed to dent the front cast rim and one of the footrest bolts sheared but that was it.
Things I don't like are the rubbish lights, even with them wired in tandem, crap dash display and poor front brake but it does pull up well if you pull the lever hard enough. As for the rad cap I just reversed the rubber seal and it has never been a problem since.
oliwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #409
Open Gate
New to ADv

Oddometer: 2
Thumb Tiger Tripple Threat

Hello form Canada. New to ADV and new to me 2005 Tiger last AUG. Love the Tiger, I have had a lot of bikes( BMWs, Buells and Jap) This Tiger is my Favorite. Lots of Smooth Torque, Lots of Storage & Comfy. My British Racing Green Tiger is 48000 km young and going strong.

I ride it to work mots days 50km each way ,Planing some 4-5000 km trips this summer and can't wait.

If I figure out how to post pictures here I will show it off.

Cheers
Open Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #410
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Never liked the Girlies tank. Reminds me of the sweet Green Girlie below.........

Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #411
DC,Chad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Gate View Post
Hello form Canada. New to ADV and new to me 2005 Tiger last AUG. Love the Tiger, I have had a lot of bikes( BMWs, Buells and Jap) This Tiger is my Favorite. Lots of Smooth Torque, Lots of Storage & Comfy. My British Racing Green Tiger is 48000 km young and going strong.

I ride it to work mots days 50km each way ,Planing some 4-5000 km trips this summer and can't wait.

If I figure out how to post pictures here I will show it off.

Cheers
hello and welcome

RD03 Africa twin slowly coming together
DC,Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #412
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
Welcome from South Alabama.
Congrats on the new ride. Your gonna love it!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #413
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
?..

I was cleaning out my storage and found the OEM panniers in there ( been in there since 08). Anyone interested....... for a price of course

A very underrated Motorcycle, I just do not understand why it's not more popular, That said, the Tiger 800 is selling like hot cakes out here..
How much?
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #414
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
How much?
PM sent

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #415
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,085
I have a cooling issue on mine and hoping its the radiator cap. I believe it is still original as the only mod to the bike was a Cee Baily windshield. It gets hot city driving but once over 45mph it cools right off. So I believe its either radiator cap not keeping pressure or a thermostat stuck open.

I started it for the first time since October and let it idle, it almost overflowed the bottle and the fan only kicked on for a second when I turned off the bike. So my other guess is a bad temp sensor to turn on the fan.

We'll see. Unfortunately it won't get ridden until 13 monthes from now. No point renewing plates and insurance for 30 days of riding.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #416
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliwoof View Post
I bought a new one in 2006 which has now done 56k and apart from a throttle position sensor and steering head bearings it has proved to be a reliable and comfy bike. Took it to Morocco last year and it survived well, managed to dent the front cast rim and one of the footrest bolts sheared but that was it.
Things I don't like are the rubbish lights, even with them wired in tandem, crap dash display and poor front brake but it does pull up well if you pull the lever hard enough. As for the rad cap I just reversed the rubber seal and it has never been a problem since.
Agree that the headlights and instrument lighting are not so good but was able to improve them by using plus headlight bulbs (at stock 55/60 wattage) and installing LED's in the instruments.....after some experimentation went with green for the speedo, white for the tach, and red for fuel and temp

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #417
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
I have a cooling issue on mine and hoping its the radiator cap. I believe it is still original as the only mod to the bike was a Cee Baily windshield. It gets hot city driving but once over 45mph it cools right off. So I believe its either radiator cap not keeping pressure or a thermostat stuck open.

I started it for the first time since October and let it idle, it almost overflowed the bottle and the fan only kicked on for a second when I turned off the bike. So my other guess is a bad temp sensor to turn on the fan.

We'll see. Unfortunately it won't get ridden until 13 monthes from now. No point renewing plates and insurance for 30 days of riding.

Bingo! change the radiator cap, also look the coolant overflow out as I had a cracked L connector too.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #418
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Idaho. I just got one in. I did go with the Triumph cap hoping any short comings have been addressed. Probably going to take it apart and install the cap next week.

On another note, I ordered the 100 dollar service manual. expecting a paperback Clymer like manual, I was pleasantly surprised. Got the nice tabbed manual with a four ring binder. Still not worth a 100 bucks, but a bit nicer than expected.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #419
Dirty Bling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
inexpensive top case

Pulled the trig on the 06 tiger!!!! luv it !!! real smooooth, less weight and quicker than the 04 GSA I sold. Looked at top cases $150-$350 all I need is a commuter case found this on bebay $56.00 free shipping Universal X-Large motorcycle scooter trunk luggage hard top case tail box item # 330885231046 check out the pics and easy install http://youtu.be/F1zVTAAnfGY oh ya, wife loves the bike
Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #420
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

OK, I have change oil and filter and radiator cap. This brings up two questions from the experts.

1. I didn't take the tank all the way off, just enough to reach the cap. I lost quite a bit of coolant. Did it just drain from the overfill bottle? I topped that off and seems to be running fine.

2. The oil pan bolt is leaking. I forgot to change crush washers and it leaked about a 1/4 of a coke can. Drained and used new crush washer. Now only leaks a couple drops in 24 hours. Any Ideas?

I am riding to Dawson and up the Dempster to Inuvik this summer. Not real keen on riding that far into the wilderness with an oil leak no matter how small. That and it will drain off the skid plate and more than likely land on the tire.