Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #1441
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,095
I don't have an XRL but your description of how you set your valves is exactly how I've always set mine on my bikes and quads.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #1442
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 435
Thumb Well said ONandOFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I understand you, Bryce. I was there once. And I have a son turning 29 in a couple of weeks. I know how confusing and apprehensive these thoughts can be. Please allow me to give back a little for sharing your experiences here. I hope this analogy helps you gather your thoughts over time.
People think it's formidibly difficult to embark upon and persevere through a journey such as yours herewithin documented. While it certainly has it's challenges, it's still miniscule compared to the rest of your life. Finding that turnoff, the right place to spend the night, and how to get your machine sorted can present quite a task at the moment, but hard to compare to finding a lifelong companion who will correctly mother your children, deciding where you're going to live, and how to support your family. But much like your journey, you plan ahead the best you can, you keep your eyes on where you're going while peeking back occasionally, work your way through through the terrain avoiding the obstacles you see and dealing with those you didn't, perform adequate maintenance, ride the good times with ecstacy and think of more ahead while down for maintenace. We do the best we can, but God has a master plan in which we play a role, so we look to Him for guidance. The road in front of us is all we can see, and our best attempts to navigate it skillfully aren't always as successful as we'd hoped. And while we can see and judge the trail in front of us, and can pick a path through the obstacles in sight, there's no telling what's around that corner or past that rise up ahead. We can only deal with the beyond after approaching with caution. We learn to make no assumptions, and to not take personally what we encounter. We learn from our experiences but harbor no regrets. We strive to always do our best and to say what we mean. Mostly we zip through with glee. However, some hills will be very steep and some water crossings very deep; we get stuck, crash, break things, and get hurt along the way. It's the grace with which we pick ourselves up and move on that shapes our character the most. As for choice of schooling/career, many factors play a role in this decision, some beyond our control, but ideally we look for something we're good at, enjoy doing, and can make an adequate living doing. At 29 or so, we're quite physically able and have some experiences behind us, from which we've learned, the lessons of which can used to orient ourselves in the direction of what we believe will be the happiest for us. So, in much the way you've approached this trip, so may you approach your procreative, livelihood, and recreational journey ahead. You have been bestowed the talents, and you will do just fine by God and be able to look back with no regrets if you stick to what you know is right. May you encounter excitement, happiness, contentment, and inner peace as you travel through life!

I wish I would have understood half of what ONandOFF said when I was 29. Let alone had someone wise enough to spell it out to me like that.

Happy belated birthday Bryce!! It's good to see your still having an amazing adventure. Don't grow up too fast... You've got the rest of your life right around the corner in front of you. Enjoy it!
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #1443
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAllWhoWanderRLost View Post

I wish I would have understood half of what ONandOFF said when I was 29. Let alone had someone wise enough to spell it out to me like that.

Happy belated birthday Bryce!! It's good to see your still having an amazing adventure. Don't grow up too fast... You've got the rest of your life right around the corner in front of you. Enjoy it!
It's too late....I already done growed up. But I'm still young at heart...
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #1444
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuraco View Post
Dear Bryce: I readed your thread and I hope everything is ok

welcome to carretera austral , don't forget to visit the marble chappel on lake general carrera
look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSlPD0I1DlQ

link:

https://www.google.cl/search?q=marme...w=1031&bih=564
Yuri!!! I missed it!!!!!! NOOOOO!

We actually stopped in that small town to talk to some riders that we saw and then we kept going. I totally didn't know about it. Those pictures looked incredible! I wish I'd gone to see that!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #1445
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Update

Spent last night camping out with a bunch of overlander friends that we happened to run into on the road, hence the lack of posting. Tonight, for some reason photobucket doesn't want to cooperate and I can't get the pictures up. So, I'll probably have to do this all in the morning. For now, here is the one picture that I've managed to upload:

Chao!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #1446
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335
If you have time

Hey, Ulyses,

I am not--repeat, am not--trying to delay your return to the warm bosom of home, and, by sending this, I am not suggesting that you continue your journeys to even another continent. However, this video compilation of another man's global ride report was just posted. If you have a few moments, watch a few episodes.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post20933015
Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #1447
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Carretera Austral

Day 151 (March 16, 2013)
Chile Chico, Chile to Cerro Torre, Chile
Day's Ride: 189 Miles

Leaving our awesome campground at Chile Chico was a little hard; however, we were excited to start the Carretera Austral. From Chile Chico to the actual Carreterra Austral there is a 70 mile long ripio approach that skirts the southern edge of Lake General Carrera. The views were incredible and the road quality actually fairly decent.

You can see the road running up the left side of the hill in the picture below:

After about 70 miles of riding, we finally linked up with the actual Carretera Austral. We stopped at the intersection for a quick lunch break. Lunch consisted of two cans of tuna mixed in with a block of cream cheese, chopped onions, sun dried tomatoes, a little olive oil, all smeared on hot dog buns.

As we were passing through the puebla of Rio Tranquilo (home of the Marble Chaple that yuri told me about but that I forgot) I noticed some bikers. We stopped to chat for a minute. One of the riders who was on one of those crazy DR800's had been hit by a car the day before. The people drive like crazy on these ripio roads and he had taken a head on collision with a car and miraculously survived unscathed. His bike on the other hand was a little beat up. There was also a pretty cool little XR400 in their group:

The road soon denigrated into some real rough wash board with the large suicide gravel. The views continued to be spectacular.

We passed by tons of lakes and rivers that were fed from glacial runoff. The glacial sediments suspended in the water reflect a certain wavelength of light and give the water an incredible aquamarine color that's difficult to capture on camera.

As we were nearing our stopping point at the end of the day, we came across a convoy of overland vehicles. Dylan recognized one of the trucks and realized that they were some of the overlanders that we had met in Lima a couple of months ago! We all pulled over and got out to say hi. There were four vehicles and four couples; Jed and Megan, (the American couple that had been attacked by the village in Peru), James and Lauren, and then two other couples whose names that I don't remember. We talked for a little bit and then they invited us to camp out with them next to a river that we had passed a few miles ago. We made a quick run into the nearby village to buy food then returned back to the campsite to hang out.

We ended up building a bonfire, drinking a bunch of wine, and eating trout ceviche from a fish that one of the overlanders had just caught out of the river. It was awesome!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #1448
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
... You can see the road running up the left side of the hill in the picture below:

That line going straight up the hill? Did you ride up that?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #1449
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Carretera Austral Day 2

Day 152 (March 17, 2013)
Cerro Castillo, Chile to Coyhaique, Chile
Day's Ride: 71 Miles

Dylan just showed me how to do an interactive version of the maps that I do most everyday to map the day's route, so we'll give this a try. Right off the bat, I'm not sure how much I like it. If you think the old way was better, let me know and I'll put those back in.

View Larger Map

I awoke to the sounds of fishing and emerged from my tent to find that one of the overlanders had caught another trout. This one measured about 17 inches and was caught with some crappy second hand lures on a normal fishing rod. Jeff, if you are reading this, here's your fish:

We said our goodbyes and hit the road. The peak Cerro Castillo and some other smaller spires soon came into view:

Just past the puebla of Cerro Castillo the road went back to pavement. The road was incredible and the views were fantastic.

So far I think that the Carretera Austral is one of the best roads that I've been on during this trip. The combination of ripio, pavement, and incredible scenery have combined to make this an incredible ride.

We took a short day and stopped in the town of Coyhaique, population 50,000. This is the largest town we are going to hit for a while so we decided that it would be a good idea to get some supplies and some American dollars before crossing back into Argentina.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #1450
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Sweet ride!
Interactive version rocks.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #1451
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
That line going straight up the hill? Did you ride up that?
Yep. I guess I should have clarified: the road running parrallel to the lake around the base of the hill.....
Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #1452
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Day 151 (March 16, 2013)

As we were nearing our stopping point at the end of the day, we came across a convoy of overland vehicles. Dylan recognized one of the trucks and realized that they were some of the overlanders that we had met in Lima a couple of months ago! We all pulled over and got out to say hi. There were four vehicles and four couples; Jed and Megan, (the American couple that had been attacked by the village in Peru), James and Lauren, and then two other couples whose names that I don't remember. We talked for a little bit and then they invited us to camp out with them next to a river that we had passed a few miles ago. We made a quick run into the nearby village to buy food then returned back to the campsite to hang out.

I love these small world moments. I've had a few while traveling and they just make you smile from ear to ear.

Interactive maps are okay if you continue using the satellite version instead of the roadmap version. Make sure when you hyperlink the maps that you're zoomed out to see the entire route.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #1453
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Yep. I guess I should have clarified: the road running parrallel to the lake around the base of the hill.....
Okay. Man, you had me going there! And wondering why no pics of that ascent... It looks do-able from the pic, but maybe not advisable with those tires and all loaded up.

As for the map, what I like best is the "view larger map" link. I love to see all the detail and functionality of the full page map with your route on it. You could include that link with the static picture of your overall route if you preferred that, and we'd still have the benefit of being interactive and checking out the details on the map page.

Peace.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #1454
advFord
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
maps and stories

I'm a fan of the interactive map. It helps to get the bigger picture of where you're at. It saves time from having to google search the town names that you post.

So what's the story on the couple that was attacked. I read about that in the news. Since my family and friends know I want to ride to South America they send me all the articles of the worst news of things that happen down there. My mom is probably hoping I'll reconsider.

bon voyage.
Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
advFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #1455
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Coyhaique

Day 153 (March 18, 2013)
Coyhaique, Chile
Day's Ride: 0 Miles

Took a rest day today in order to do some errands. Went to a "Casa de Cambio" to buy some American dolars in preperation for returning to Argentina, purchased a cutting board to cut food and serve as a replacement for my improvised chain slider should it fail, and bought another sleeping pad to help me stay warm and comfortable in the Patagonian nights.

This evening I went to the local Unimark supermarket and bought a ton of food and cooked up a big meal.

Tomorrow I'm going to finish the Carretera Austral and jump back into Argentina. Hopefully I'll be up to Buenos Aires in a few days and then on to Uruguay to spend some time on the beach. I'm tired of being cold.