User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
jtatknox OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I think I killed my '84 R65

Did my first airhead oil change. Took the older filter out, placed a new filter in, added 2.4L oil, checked oil, everything seemed OK. Took the bike around the block and it died.

Oil light never came on.

Got home, tested the oil pressure switch - broken, lamp is good. Shit.

No weird noises from the engine, but I am almost certain this is an oil pressure issue from the filter not having the right depth. What are the odds this engine is wrecked?
jtatknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
ritetwist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Does it turn over?
Gas on?
It must have either made some noise or came to a quick stop if it was in gear and clutch out.
When it cools off,probably by now, try to turn the back wheel when on the center stand in 5th gear.
It may turn ,but I would suspect bearing damage if truly no oil circulating.
Was there an "O" ring and shim between the cap and the filter housing?

ritetwist screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 06:37 PM Reason: Add a line
ritetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,075
Read here. It's very important. http://www.largiader.com/tech/filters/
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,737
I doubt it would die from no oil around the block.

Why are you certain its from not having the right depth?

If this is your first airhead oil change, are you new to airheads?

I only ask because there might be a bunch of other nuances that cause it to fail a quarter mile down the road

I mean, chances are very good if you did a tit-for-tat swap at the filter, that quite possibly you might have touched something else on the bike.

Did you push it home?

If its nothing like that, I'd first check the filter and cover if I felt that it was installed objectionably, since it was the last thing done on the way out, as you mention? Then I'd confirm circulation by taking off the valve covers. Probably even if it was circulating the covers are mostly drained, but try to turn the engine over with the starter to make oil pump out the valve gear. You'll know then that its moving through the pump at least. If thats the case, then you more than likely did no damage to the thing at all and its some other thing. Make sure to put a catch under the head to catch the oil damhik

Stagehand screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 10:25 PM
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatknox View Post
Did my first airhead oil change. Took the older filter out, placed a new filter in, added 2.4L oil, checked oil, everything seemed OK. Took the bike around the block and it died. Oil light never came on. Got home, tested the oil pressure switch - broken, lamp is good. Shit.
No weird noises from the engine, but I am almost certain this is an oil pressure issue from the filter not having the right depth. What are the odds this engine is wrecked?
I wish I saw this first.

So your saying the oil light does not come on when you complete the ignition circuit before hitting the starter? Do to a bad oil pressure switch? If so you should not of run the bike.

Was the filter you put in an exact match for the one you removed? If so you have no way of knowing if the filter was properly sealed or not because of the broken switch. It's unlikely that you grenaded the engine in a single trip around the block, even if you did not have a good seal, so you might be jumping to conclusions, and the engine may be alright.

Don't panic!! Drain your oil look for metal, pull the plugs shift it in gear and roll it around the parking lot. If you have no metal in the oil, and it rolls around smoothly with no weird grinding noises chances you have not destroyed your engine.

I'd buy a new switch make sure it works, fill it back with oil, then trouble shoot your bike as if the issue was spark or fuel.

Jim
Jim Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,477
I've run a R60/5 further than around the block with a bad lamp, and had success in some very light polishing of the crank and new big-end bearings... the bike went on for many, many years after that.

Hopefully yours won't be as bad (or worse) than mine was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,274
Oh good, a second thread about the same exact problem. Cool.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,918
I think the first thread started in another forum and one of the Mods moved it to Airheads where it belongs. But somebody told the OP he should ask his question in the Airheads and so he did in another thread. Therefore two threads about the same problem. The trick is to keep the two threads the same length so they post on the page together.

Will probably go away in a day or so since it looks like the OP is out riding his bike. We hope.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,242
Mods, merge?

This and:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870916

Plus, why do posters sometimes disappear with no update,acknowledgement,etc?!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
This and:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870916

Plus, why do posters sometimes disappear with no update,acknowledgement,etc?!

After problem is solved, the desire to debrief becomes very slim indeed.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

They mean well I'm sure but nobody thinks about this once the problem is solved. We should at some point try to impress the nOObs with this idea that we would like to know how it came out.

But we also need to train them to post exactly which bike they are working on in the first post. R75 is not descriptive enough. How often do we get asked some question about an "RT".

I have seen it also asked that riders use a title that is descriptive of the problem, like "Engine Noise" or "Carb Balance" as opposed to "Visions of Impending Doom". Making jokes is OK I think it's tolerated pretty well here. But the title of your thread may have bearing on how it gets answered and it should be considered important enough to be treated as important.

Relevant title
Year/model of bike in the first post
If problem does/or does not get solved, a follow up report of what worked/didn't work

I have had a couple of noobs correspond with me and I always suggest these three points. I may also suggest that for the beginner it is better to start a new thread for each general area or phase of the work being done instead of a long drawn out "build" thread, that is following a several months long, or longer, build thread. The build threads are for more experienced types not the noobs. I mean this as just a suggestion. I have seen some good work here by people that I don't think had a lot of experience before they got an Airhead.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341

disston screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 10:07 AM
Old 03-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Disston, you made some good points!
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100RT View Post
Disston, you made some good points!
I'm smarter than I think I am sometimes.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I'm smarter than I think I am sometimes.
Maybe it's just the infinite monkey theorem at work

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
jtatknox OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I went on an all-day drunk yesterday instead of working on the bike.

Update....

I put in a new oil pressure switch, double checked the oil filter, closed the petcock and emptied the float bowls.

I turned the ignition on, and the oil light came on. Turned the bike over 5-10x, oil pressure light went out - phew, I think it's not an oil pressure problem after all.

Opened up the petcock, fuel filled both float bowls. Tried to start, fired a couple of times then wouldn't run. Maybe it's flooded, I don't know. Will report back after I re-fill the gear oil (even after changing it out, still a gross watery emulsion). I guess I just have to keep changing it until the water is out and it's right.

Sorry about the multiple posting. I am going to stick to this thread from here out.
jtatknox is offline   Reply With Quote