ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,841
"Roll to the Hole II" - Kentuckiana Icebreaker 2013 Tracks

Here are the tracks (bottom of this post) for the "Roll to the Hole II" - Kentuckiana Icebreaker 2013, March 23 -24 2013.

We're meeting up at the Marathon mini-mart in St. Croix and they've been told there's going to be quite a few folks showing Saturday morning. Please throw them some business and say thanks for letting us clog up their parking lot. I hear they're ordering extra donuts Nick!

There are 8 tracks, each 500 points or less. They look fine on the ride committee's gps units and follow the roads pretty closely. (If you need more detail, Big Dog has offered to split them into to 2 sections, thanks Mark!). I'd also like to thank everyone on the ride committee. Even though I'm chairman and designated mouthpiece, it wasn't a one man project. Many thanks guys!!

I've also put these on my 'ridewithgps.com' account. I believe some folks then load them on their fancy smart phones...who knew?

They're named;

IN Sat paved
IN Sat gravel
Ky Sat paved
Ky Sat gravel
Ky Sun paved
Ky Sun gravel
IN Sun paved
IN Sun gravel

I think the track names should be pretty self explanatory
Please speak up if you're having trouble getting these to load and we'll try to help you out.

There are also 10 waypoints;

- The St. Croix Marathon mini-mart - start & finish point
- 3 restaurant waypoints -Big Bubba's BBQ, the Porky Pig, Mama Lou's BBQ
- 3 gas stop waypoints - there are additional gas options in Brandenburg, Hardinsburg, Munfordsville, Cave City, etc.
- The Kentucky Stonehenge in Munfordsville - some guy with too much money, time & land...but still neat.
- Bill Monroe's grave in Rosine - for you Bluegrass fans
- The Rock Cabin Cabins

The paved tracks (both IN & Ky) are colored blue, the gravel tracks red. Change them to whatever works for your eyes. I would strongly suggest that you display only those tracks you're going to be riding that particular day.

There are some sections where the tracks overlap or seem to back track IF you've got them all set to show on your GPS. On last Sundays scouting ride north of Fordsville, Ky I had both the Ky paved & gravel sections set to show on my Montana and I was scooting along at a pretty good clip paying attention to the road and not my gps (always a good idea BTW) when after a couple minutes I was heading south and west instead of north and pulled over. I had missed a section where the 2 tracks met and overlapped. This wouldn't have happened if I'd only had one track displayed. Ask Josh and David how confused I looked...

Another example of this is on the IN Sat paved track and the IN Sun paved track. They both use the same road (old IN 37) from IN 62 to Branchville Rd. If you have both Sunday & Saturday displayed, as you head south Saturday on Old IN 37 be sure to make the left (east) turn on to Branchville Rd. and not continue south on what would be Sunday's blue street return route.

Members of the ride committee have test rode (or drove) these tracks except for a section on the Ky Sun paved from KY-70 to KY-340 to KY-79 to KY-2713. Those are all marked Kentucky state roads and should be fine.

Also, please keep in mind we're going to be riding through a lot farm country and sometimes we'll be riding through the very heart of small farms, please slow down and be respectful, watch for kids and animals. I also noticed quite a bit of mud/dirt on the roads in these areas as farm machinery comes and goes into adjoining fields, so add that to your list of road hazards. A committee member also reported that the Indiana paved sections may have a almost invisible layer of cinders or gravel. If we have a good rain in the coming days this might be washed off, but keep this in mind! Also, if you're going to take pictures, pull over and do so. Try not to monkey with your gps or other doodads while riding, but everyone knows this right?? Also, please ride 'your own ride', this isn't a race or contest. I plan on just taking my time and enjoying the scenery. Try to group up with a group of like minded riders and since this could be the first major ride for some folks in a couple months, watch for those rusty sea legs. Finally, this brings up a point I want to re-state from last years ride...

"Although for the most part everyone who hangs out on this forum already knows this but as a reminder to everyone and for you noobs please be aware that you go on this ride at your own risk. This ride is on public roads and you'll be exposed to all the usual risks you'll find anytime you leave the comfort and safety of the garage. This includes and is not limited to bad drivers, poor road and/or weather conditions, animals running out in front of you, your fellow riders and God only knows what else. If you don't think your abilities are up to this ride don't come along. There's no shame in being honest with yourself and realizing that maybe you're not ready to do a ride like this.

All this being said if something unfortunate happens it's between you, the Law and your insurance company. No one going on the ride or involved with creating the suggested route can vouch for your ability or guarantee your safety so don't go whining here if you fall down and go boom. Ride with some common sense, show a little respect for your fellow riders and the locals' home turf we'll be riding through and everything ought to be peachy-keen."

Damn, that was long winded...let's hope for good weather and be safe out there.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx RTTH II final tracks.gpx (363.4 KB, 197 views)
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers

mbabc screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 06:51 PM Reason: more info
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Hey, anyone have the capability of having these print into a word format and emailing them to me. I cant upload gpx files (or any routes) into my gps (yea, I am cheap and bought a Garmin 13xx series gps, which doesnt have the capabilities to load routes).

When I get home, I am going to try to upload into some navigation software and see if I can print it up. Later guys. I plan on riding the Saturday ride. Dont know if I will spend the night or not. If not, I can hit the Interstate and be home in 80 minutes.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

David,
Not sure if this will help, but the tracks at my 'ridewithgps.com account (link in first post) have the ability to be exported in .kml format.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Looks fun! Thanks.
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
keeponriding
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Haven't checked the route yet, but does this mean we won't be seeing our blonde girlfriend at the bar in Mauckport, this year?

Mark, I think she wanted to follow you home.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponriding View Post
Haven't checked the route yet, but does this mean we won't be seeing our blonde girlfriend at the bar in Mauckport, this year?
Only if you want to stop for a 'quickie'. Might be early for lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponriding View Post
Mark, I think she wanted to follow you home.
I'm used to that. When you got it, you got it...
Old 03-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
David,
Not sure if this will help, but the tracks at my 'ridewithgps.com account (link in first post) have the ability to be exported in .kml format.
I cant upload any type files into my gps; however, I can manually insert waypoints by longitude/latitude, which I am planning on doing. I am not going to put all hundreds of the waypoints in, just every 50th or so, so if I cant keep up with you all, at least i can ride on some of the same roads.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,442
I just saw the donut joke. I am not amused. Cause I am now hungry.

In memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,956
Can I get a day 1 gravel and day 2 gravel only in separate folders?
Smart phone is only so smart. It loaded fine but doesn't separate.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPAULo View Post
Can I get a day 1 gravel and day 2 gravel only in separate folders?
Smart phone is only so smart. It loaded fine but doesn't separate.
PM sent
Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,956
Worked perfectly Mark. Thanks a million for all the hard work!!
We're a GO with team android phone GPS.
Anyone else navigating with their cellular device?
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by oPAULo View Post
Worked perfectly Mark. Thanks a million for all the hard work!!
We're a GO with team android phone GPS.
Anyone else navigating with their cellular device?

I did, using the Dual Sport Maps app.

It was seriously awesome.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote