Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
ndthl OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question Border crossing advice needed: Cambodia - Thailand - Malaysia - Indonesia - Australia

Hi people,

Every now and again someone gets a crazy idea in their head. This happened to me last night. I have a bike I rather like in Cambodia, but contract ends August and am heading back to Australia. Is there even a remote possibility I could ride it home? I've successfully crossed into Thailand (and back) previously from Cambodia. Does anyone know if it'd be possible to cross into Malaysia, then Indonesia... all on a Cambodia registered bike? Then I'll just chuck it on a boat in Jakarta or something and pick it up in Darwin.

This is a pretty over the top idea. But if it can be done, it must be done! If anyone's successfully done this, please let me know.

Wil

PS - found this from Wolfgang (2003 thread!!), but does not answer my main question whether it would be ok to take a Cambodia registered bike across Thailand into Malaysia, then Indonesia... would Thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia let the bike out of their countries?: http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-mot...628#post279628
ndthl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Fredful
Pigs might fly

Oddometer: 133
mate have a search in the Aus forum

A lot of different guys have done it the other way(Aus up through)

Most recent guy Kodiak(DR650) and Bigfella(990) from what I know has bought his KTM from Aus through Indo and it is in Malaysia now so they should be full of ideas

Fredful
Fredful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
ndthl OP
n00b

getting bike registered in my name

Thanks man, I gotta get bike regod in my name, currently it's someone else's. That'll take a month, the gotta apply for importing bike into Aus. Bit of a bloody process but yeah I think it can be done so long as in my name.
ndthl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
c4traz
n00b

I did Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia with a Singapore registered bike. As far as I know a Cambodian reg bike should be treated the same within the ASEAN cluster. That means you dont need more than the registration papers to get it to Malaysia. In Malaysia you can get a carnet from AAM for it which you need to bring it into Indonesia. Getting into Indonesia was more trouble than all the other crossings combined sadly. Once you there you can do the island hopping to Dili and ship it to Darwin. A lot of bikers do that.

I hope that helps a bit, contact me if you have any questions, especially regarding the shipping to Indonesia I'm able to give you upto-date info how to do it for an affordable price.

Nothing crazy, you can do it
c4traz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #5
c4traz
n00b

Oh, I didnt think of the carnet depost. Which was 5000 Malaysian Ringgit... I dont know about how this is handled when you pay the import tax in Australia.
c4traz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
koh kood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Some of your questions might be answered here.

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...-requirements/
Old 07-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
deaninkl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I theory it should not be an issue accept on some borders you may need to buy special insurance. Under the ASEAN agreement, vehicals are allowed to travel freely (for a limited period) into and through other member nations. Ceratianly Malaysian registered bikes have no trouble doing this, Singapore and Thai bikes also. Where you may well get a problem is I'd guess taking to bike into OZ will incure taxes.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
PG007
AKA backdoorphil

Oddometer: 322
Lots of good, current info here on Asian border crossings:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...-requirements/
Old 03-15-2013, 01:52 AM   #9
Malayan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4traz View Post
I did Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia with a Singapore registered bike. As far as I know a Cambodian reg bike should be treated the same within the ASEAN cluster. That means you dont need more than the registration papers to get it to Malaysia. In Malaysia you can get a carnet from AAM for it which you need to bring it into Indonesia. Getting into Indonesia was more trouble than all the other crossings combined sadly. Once you there you can do the island hopping to Dili and ship it to Darwin. A lot of bikers do that.

I hope that helps a bit, contact me if you have any questions, especially regarding the shipping to Indonesia I'm able to give you upto-date info how to do it for an affordable price.

Nothing crazy, you can do it
Hi Bro - Am doing a solo ride from Malaysia to Thailand to Cambodia. Just want some advice for the documentation needed to cross the Thailand / Cambodia border ( going the Had Lek / Koh Kong way). Will the clearance take long ..(?) Many thanks for any advise you can give. Rgds - Greg
Malayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #10
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malayan View Post
Hi Bro - Am doing a solo ride from Malaysia to Thailand to Cambodia. Just want some advice for the documentation needed to cross the Thailand / Cambodia border ( going the Had Lek / Koh Kong way). Will the clearance take long ..(?) Many thanks for any advise you can give. Rgds - Greg
Get your 60 day multiple entry tourist visa for Thailand ahead of time in KL or Penang. They only give you 14 days visa on entry crossing overland.
Satun is also a nice border crossing, not very busy normally.
I see many Malaysia plated bikes riding around Thailand so the crossing must be pretty straightforward proof of ownership and registration stuff.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote