User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
szamor OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Interesting places to stop in the lower north island

Hi Adventurers, I've been planning a adventure route (mostly gravel roads) for my trip to Taranaki around Anzac Day. I'm planning to travel from Wellington up thru the Manawatu across to the Wanganui and then into Taranaki, after the Anzac Rally at Tahora we will be zig-zagging our way back home to Canterbury. Due to limited funds and independance we will be capable of camping unless we can find cheap overnight accomodation.
I would like to know if you guys could reccommend any interesting places to stop (sight seeing) or stay overnight (cool camp grounds, quirky budget accomodation). The route I have planned is still flexible so if there are any places of interest that a couple of keen motorcyclists would enjoy, I would apprieciate learning about them.Thanks Mike
szamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
There's not much of interest between Welly and Taranaki taking the direct route. The roads are fairly boring. However, if you go off the beaten track a bit, there are a few amazing spots. Someone will be along soon with a bit more local knowledge.

If you want info on the other side of the island (Wairarapa/Hawkes Bay), give me a yell.

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
OK, I'll start then:

Shannon Dams (old hydro dams, awesome ride)
North Range Road (Windmills above Palmy North)
Whariti (Big hill at south end of Ruahine Range. Go through Manawatu Gorge to Woodville)
Takapari Road (A bit out of the way, but takes you high into the Ruahines)

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
szamor OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Wicked

Thanks Bart-NZ, I will be travelling up from Wellington to the Wairarapa, ticky touring out around the coast then over to the Manawatu, I'll check out the North Range Road. Can you ride right thru from the Pahiatua track to the Manawatu Gorge?
I'll then head north towards Pohangina, where we will right up the Ridge Road towards Kimbolton.
We will then zig-zag towards Vingear Hill, then north to Rongoiti junction. I'll then continue to follow various back country gravel roads to Rartihi, where we will travel north west via gravel roads to Taumarunui for gas before heading down the forgotten highway to Tahora.
There are loads of small settlements along the way that I haven,t mentioned. I enjoy plotting a round about trip on the 1:50000 scale topo maps, and just see what we find.
We will spend another day riding a loop route around Taranaki, others have already reccommended some interesting roads, and then another 2 days to get back to Wellington.
All up I expect to be away from home for about a week.
I'm still adjusting our route to allow for gas and suitable places to camp, so any additional places of interest are still welcome.
szamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,639
you've chosen an awesome route

some really spectacular roads

hope you have a great time