Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Everett49 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Question Denali Highway, Which Way Should I Go?

For those who have ridden the Denali Highway, if could only do it once, which direction would you travel: Paxon to Cantwell or the reverse?
Everett49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Wink

Where would ur starting point be from ? Like anchorage or north coming into Alaska?

If I was doing it from where I live. I would do cantwell to Paxton , then head up Fairbanks or down to Valdez.

Denali is on my ride list this year .0

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,671
East to west is much more scenic in my opinion. You'll ride with Denali in your face shield much of the way.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
I did it last summer went in thru Cantwell. +1 khuddy Paxton is really the way to do it.
Rather keep Denali in my faceshield then having to turn around to maybe catch a view.

I think that was the way the road was originally put in?

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,085
I rode Paxton to Cantwell myself. Its about 30 miles longer from Anchorage to Paxton so I had Denalli in front of me and the shorter pavement home. There is also a good restaurant for breakfast if its open in Cantwell. Good after a night of camping on the hwy.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddy View Post
east to west is much more scenic in my opinion. You'll ride with denali in your face shield much of the way.
+1

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I will definitely be doing this ride sometime this summer. Are you allowed to camp anywhere along the Denali Highway? Are there area's to pullover and setup a tent? Are there normal full camp grounds?
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Oddometer: 198
Cool2 Depends... Diapers for Adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Mikey View Post
I will definitely be doing this ride sometime this summer. Are you allowed to camp anywhere along the Denali Highway? Are there area's to pullover and setup a tent? Are there normal full camp grounds?

Quick answer to all of your questions is: YES. Which would then be clarified with "Depends..."

There are infinite options for 'wild' camping... if you are proficient and don't need much outside of what you are carrying. There are a couple campgrounds along the way that have a little bit more in the way of pit toilets and actual camp spaces. And then there are a couple of Lodges that have rooms and more services yet.
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Everett49 OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=nuttynu;20975861]Where would ur starting point be from ? Like anchorage or north coming into Alaska?

I am the OP and appreciate all your responses very much

My route is not set in stone. Maybe I will just ride it both directions and decide for myself I am planning on Inuvik either before or after this little jaunt into Alaska but maybe a trip to Valdez would be good too.

OK, if I do Denali both ways and end up back in Paxson, and I don't ride to Valdez, would you guys recommend going north or south (most scenic) to get back to TOK and back to Canada?

Or, if I ride Denali to Cantwell, is it worth riding a loop either north or south (again for scenic quality) to get back to Tok?
Old 03-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Richardson is way better than going on Parks highway.
If your ride from cantwell to Paxton, you'll have to go up to delta junction to Tok, or Paxton's to Tok... Up to your choice.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeker View Post
Quick answer to all of your questions is: YES. Which would then be clarified with "Depends..."

There are infinite options for 'wild' camping... if you are proficient and don't need much outside of what you are carrying. There are a couple campgrounds along the way that have a little bit more in the way of pit toilets and actual camp spaces. And then there are a couple of Lodges that have rooms and more services yet.
Thanks. As long as there's a small clear area to throw up a tent, I'm good
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
licascurtu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett49 View Post
For those who have ridden the Denali Highway, if could only do it once, which direction would you travel: Paxon to Cantwell or the reverse?
I did it twice and both times I entered from Cantwell and after few miles dropped all my stuff in a bush marked it on the GPS and went to Paxon and back .....this way u can also explore lots of side roads some awesome river crossing and also u can camp anywhere u want....it's a spectacular place
licascurtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
Everett49 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by licascurtu View Post
I did it twice and both times I entered from Cantwell and after few miles dropped all my stuff in a bush marked it on the GPS and went to Paxon and back .....this way u can also explore lots of side roads some awesome river crossing and also u can camp anywhere u want....it's a spectacular place
Sounds like I may want to spend a few days camping along this road. I may have to pack one of my fishing rods after all
Old 03-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #14
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
I'm coming down from D2D, spending a night at Tok, then west to Delta Junction, south to Paxson, west on Denali Highway to Cantwell (camping somewhere along the way), then down to Anchorage for new tires and a real bed, then Palmer to Tok via the cutoff. I like the 'looks' of this loop and riding all day with The Mountain in my face is not all bad. I'm sure the highway from Palmer back to Tok is less scenic than doing the Denali the other direction but I dislike backtracking.

BTW, I'm going from Tok to Haines and taking the ferry to Prince Rupert on the 27th of June. I have a cabin for four reserved in Haines for the night of the 26th, room for two more if anyone is going that way.
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
That is going to by a great trip, from Palmer going to Tok on the Glen hwy is a beautiful ride, on the way between Haines Junction and Haines itself is nothing to sneeze at. Make sure you stop at the Eagle Sanctuary just north on Haines

Your going to have a great time

I"m planning on spending a couple of weeks on Prince of Wales Island this

Enjoy

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote