scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Indeed -- love that bike.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #62
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
besides the pirelli night dragons what other tires were on the top of your list?

might be buying a night rod that needs new tires
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #63
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 786
Wicked Other shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xshanex View Post
besides the pirelli night dragons what other tires were on the top of your list?
might be buying a night rod that needs new tires
The only other tire I considered was the Avon. But for bang for the buck the Pirellis are hard to beat. As soon as I pulled out of the driveway I could feel the difference. I now have a bit over 500 miles on them and it only got better. I have a commute route I take every day and I know every road seam personally; with the Night Dragons most are gone. I am no tire expert, but I can say they stick like glue, give a softer ride and make the whole NRS feel better. I have had no chance to test wet weather handling, rain in August is a non issue in TX, but from all the reports coming out of the UK they handle wet as well as the Pilot Road II. Needless to say, mileage is a unknown to me; will report as they age - as long as they get better than 6k I would be happy, more than 10k I would be extatic.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:41 AM   #64
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Cool2 Milage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Good to see you still like putting some serious miles on her, please continue the updates.
Cheers
That is what bikes are for, mileage. I do not treat the NRS like a jewel, it is a covnveiance like all the rest of my bikes. The rare occasions when I go to a stealership, I love to hear how the other Rod owner brag about the cleaning and polishing they perform. It is funny, but it seems that most of the sales people think of the Rods as a collectors item - keep mileage low so it brings in better trade in money. I do not purchase a bike to trade, I purchase a bike to ride; when it is to the point of not being able to rebuild it I will get what I get plus a lot of smiles for the miles.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #65
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35 View Post
That is what bikes are for, mileage. I do not treat the NRS like a jewel, it is a covnveiance like all the rest of my bikes. The rare occasions when I go to a stealership, I love to hear how the other Rod owner brag about the cleaning and polishing they perform. It is funny, but it seems that most of the sales people think of the Rods as a collectors item - keep mileage low so it brings in better trade in money. I do not purchase a bike to trade, I purchase a bike to ride; when it is to the point of not being able to rebuild it I will get what I get plus a lot of smiles for the miles.
Exactly! Very well said. Didn't buy it to polish or let it sit. Bought it to ride. Don't much care about resale. Hope it is so worn out by me that they won't even take the bloody thing!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #66
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 828
I agree with ^ ^^ 100%. Ironically you both have great threads on the bikes that are on my very short list, but couldn't be much more different if they tried. You both also cover a great % of the things that have been on my mind while I ponder them so I enjoy your posts as they are mostly objective and involve good mileage and use for your assessments. I contemplated renting from Harley to see if the touring platform would do it for me as I would like to avoid a situation like in another "Trade for HD?" thread where a new Ultra Road Glide is traded for a new BMW K1600 with only a few Ks of use. Anyways, safe travels and please keep us up to speed, I enjoy reading lucid thoughts from riders vs. "owners" or I've heard/read about or know a guy that has/had "one" experts.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #67
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Thumb At 12k

I am ready to perform the 12k oil change and once over. Nothing out of the ordinary to report save the front disk pads. While going over the bike, I did note that the front pads are about at the half worn point. Mind you, I do a lot of urban commuting and so I am a lot on the brakes; between the stop and go traffic, heavy bike it stands to reason that the front pads wear. Mark one eyeball tells me, that I have another 3-4k on the stock pads. At the 15k oil change I will obtain some EBC sinter pads of Flea-Bay; seller has front sets for $60US; normal is $48US a side - seems he has a brik and mortar store in CA.

Besides the front pad wear, nothing to note. The Night Dragons are still putting a smile on my face.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #68
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,726
Excellent. Glad to hear you're still enjoying it.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #69
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Wicked Milage FYI

Now I did know that the Nightrod is not a winner in the mileage department, but it became even more clear as of late. Recently I came across a 2005 FXDC-I that I just could not resist. Purchased the FX and started the normal "test" ride to see what needs changing or repair. To do the test ride, I use the bike for two weeks straight (normally I rotate between bikes once a week ) and see what "gives". Well, the FX is fun to ride, needs better suspenders (a known HD issue) but in general fine. What did stand out was the gas mileage. One the same commute (mix of Interstate and city roads) the Nightrod averages 35MPG; the FX on the same commute averages 48MPG.

Now this all was not stated as a bash on the Nightrod, it was all noted as a FYI. On pure Interstate runs, the Nighrod does get in the low 40's but in a city/hwy mix it drops to 35mpg. But then again, I do not care - it puts a smile on my face as I run it.

IMG_0005
2005 FXDC-I

IMG_0007
Grin maker

Old 03-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #70
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

15k Service

It has been a while since I updated this posting; the good thing is nothing to report about the Nightrod except that is has got more mileage on it. The odometer now has a bit over 15k showing and keeping with my every 3k oil change the time has come to get after it. While I was at it, I might as well change the front pads and the sparkplugs.

The front pads was the first thing I got after. At my 12k oil change, I noted that I might have another 3k life in them. Having the new EBC pads on hand the whole procedure took about 30 minutes; most of that was cleaning off the brake dust.

The stock pads after 15k

The next item to tend to where the sparkplugs. Now, the process is easy as long as one has the shop manual and takes it easy. Painful is the fact that the top of the bike has to be stripped off but that is also a good time to check other items; corrosion on battery terminals, coolant levels and ground strap corrosion. The only item out of sorts was the coolant level was low; after 3k not a issue.

Stripped top

One point I did note, was that H-D did not follow their own advice and use anti-seize on the plugs. Those little buggers held on for all they where worth. Needless to say, I did anti-seize the new ones. Also of interest was that the stock plugs where gaped quite a bit looser than the shop manual calls for. It will be interesting to see how the bike performs with the right plug gaping set.

Front plug area

Front coil

In the picture above, the front plug is under the coil just under the battery. The front plug is the most involved of the two but as long as one takes ones time it is just a matter of undoing and redoing fasteners.

Coil pack

As I was changing the plugs out it was interesting to note that the color of the plugs was a deer brown. Not as dark as in the days of carbs, but still a nice tan color. Seems that either H-D fuel management works or I am riding this stock bike with they way it likes it - does not really matter I am having fun with it.

Potential oil leak area

The above image is of the front cylinder breather area. Now the tube that fits into this orifice, is a metal tube on a rubber hose mounted to the air cleaner box. If the rubber seal on the bottom of the metal portion of the tube is missing or the tube is not inserted right the bike will vent oil at this spot. I took my time and made sure this tube is inserted right and is seated right - do not want a mess or redo the whole top side stripping.

Anyway, after the plugs where changed out, terminals lith greased it was a matter of 30 minutes and I had the motor warming up for the oil change. After completing the oil change and the obligatory wash, it is time to ride and grin.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #71
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

over and out!

It happens to all of us at some time, we meet a distracted driver the hard way. My turn came riding my 2012 Nightrod to pickup parts for my 1971 BMW R50/5.

Sad resting place

Traveling on a four lane city street, divided median in a residential neighborhood, I was moving past a pickup with a trailer making a right turn. About the time I was even with his trailer hitch, a driver decided to move straight across the four lane from the side street the pickup was turning into. Needless to say, the distracted driver did not see me and the driver was hidden from my view; to make things even more interesting the side street sloped down from the four lane.

As I came up to the height of the pickups trailer hitch the distracted drivers Toyota came into view. I had by that time 1/2 a pickup lenght to curse and attempt to hit the front brakes. Needless to point out, there was not much room for my Brembos to do much stopping. The Nightrod hit the Toyota in the left front fender, straight as a arrow and launched me into a four "ass of teakettle" tumble onto and over the Toyota. Interesting side note, there is a amazing amount of time to think and observer as the world spins past one - had sufficient time to think "darn, when will I stop tumbling".

I finally did stop tumbling, was sitting upright on the street a bit past the Toyota. At that point I removed my Nolan N-102 and started to move but a pair of kind woman pinned me back on the ground insisting that I do not move until the medics arrive.

As it turned out, I was fine; hamstring a bit soar and can feel muscles I never knew I had. Just goes to show that ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME is no hollow mantra. Between my Nolan N-102, my Langlitz jacket, my Sidi boots and a pair of cevelar jeans I walked away without a scratch (quite literally) to tell my story. Mind you the Nolan will go on the shelve as a trophy, but it did it's job to protect me (the drivers insurance will get me a Schuberth, they do not know it yet, LOL).

The bike did not fare as well, but did better than I thought. After I was released from the hospital I again meet up with my Nightrod at the wrecker service's impound lot.

Obvious damage

The obvious damage stood right out, everything above the top triple tree was toast.

Muffler side

The exhaust side did not do to bad but I am sure H-D will estimate out a new exhaust system.

Right foot controls

The right front side was quite a bit damaged. The foot controls where askew and I am sure the mounts are bent.

right front fork area

Now the front end is a interesting item. When I first walked up to it, it did not look that bad. True, the wheel was sitting askew between the forks but it did not look to bad.

Left front fork area

My thoughts where, a new front end and wheel but as I was removing my tank bag I noted some cracked paint on the steering neck. That did it - the bike will be totaled I am sure; there is no better indicator for a bent frame than cracked and crinkled paint. At that point there was nothing much to do but to gather my tank and tail bag and say "cheers" to the Nightrod as it was waiting for the move to the H-D stealership to face its doom.

But not all is doom and gloom! I am looking at a new bike and stand to make some fun money from the insurance. Another fun/interesting side note is that the Toyota might also be totaled! The car that pulled out infront of me was in the same impound lot as the Nightrod and I got a good look at it. I must say, job well done Nightrod! The left fender had a huge "V" in it, the bumper was mostly torn off, the grill was in pices and the hood had two huge body dents; curtsey my body. All in all the Nightrod might have been ambushed but it seems to have taken it's attacker out.

Sorry about the pic, a cell is all I had on me at the time.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #72
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,058
Sorry about your accident.

A word of advice - you might not want to go around broadcasting your strategy for dealing with the insurance company. While it is true they have a responsibility to make you whole, they do not owe you a profit. If they find out that is what you are trying to do they are going to be a lot more difficult to work with.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #73
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Wicked Profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Sorry about your accident.

A word of advice - you might not want to go around broadcasting your strategy for dealing with the insurance company. While it is true they have a responsibility to make you whole, they do not owe you a profit. If they find out that is what you are trying to do they are going to be a lot more difficult to work with.
True, if I where after profit. At this point anything is profit, waking up, walking etc.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #74
JakeS
Yup

Oddometer: 456
That sucks..... Good thing your OK

I sold my bike recently amd now I just can't decide what I want and one of these keeps poking in the Craigslist ads and staring back at me lol

Good luck getting everything sorted out...
Old 04-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #75
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,383
Sorry to hear about the wreck but glad to hear you came out of it in one piece. Hopefully you don't run into any troubles with the other driver's insurance - and don't sign any settlement agreement until you are SURE that there are no other health issues. Sometimes there can be some hidden issues that can take a while to manifest themselves.

The bike actually doesn't look too bad for having T-boned a Toyota, but with frame damage, it's probably a goner.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote