Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #4486
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro View Post
As far as I know, he was Slovak.That s what they teach us in Slovakia.He was a great man.You can check it herehttp://www.angelfire.com/mi4/polcrt/MABeniowski.html
To be honest, everything in :) He was born in then Hungary. He used to stress in his 'Memories' he was Polish, but in fact he was partially Polish, Slovakian and Hungarian. Just a usual mix in those times :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Benyovszky
Old 03-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #4487
Twinmike
Grandpa

Oddometer: 117
Biketransport

Hi EtronX

Thanks again all of you for the awesome ride report!

How did you manage the biketransport back to Norway?
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #4488
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post

But if you're looking for a bike that's slow, heavy, with shit susension, comedy brakes and unreliable too (why not go the whole hog?) do your brains in and try a KLR. It's the bike that does everything...badly!
Mine IS slow, poorly suspended, has terrible brakes, but I have never had to have a tow

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #4489
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMandu View Post
The easy(lazy) way to be fluent(well...maybe fluent is stretching things) in numerous languages. I've never used this gadget. Just saw it in the NatGeo catalog. Maybe some of the inmates here have used it or something like it and can comment on its value or lack thereof.

The thing with that (and indeed phrasebooks), is they are great for initiating a conversation by asking the first question, but no help when someone actually replies

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #4490
Old Codger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
Mine IS slow, poorly suspended, has terrible brakes, but I have never had to have a tow
I LOVE IT !!!... Rods prolly not going to buy me a Beer in London for this ......But Ill buy him one for this fantastic Ride Report...
08 DR 650
05 R1200RT

Old Codger screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 06:37 PM
Old Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #4491
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinmike View Post
Hi EtronX

+1 Yes, I'd like to know how the bike transportation was arranged.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #4492
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Holy Hell. I just discovered this thread late Saturday afternoon. It's now almost Monday morning.

Your summer ate my weekend. :)

And I'm a ROAD rider, a short gravel drive to an improved campsite is about as much "ADV" as I usually look for on my tours.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #4493
lipsee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Hey,,way to go 300!!!!!

Now was it worth it,,my goodness YES
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #4494
EtronX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Magadan and shipping of the bikes

Quote:
Hi EtronX

We did spend five days in Magadan. Through Adrian, which we met in Yakutsk, we got in contact with Olga Izotova. She runs an adventure company specializing in hunting and fishing trips and trips to the Gulags amongst other things. She also coordinated a lot of stuff for the BBC when they did some story about Tomtor in the winter.

Hotels in Magadan are pretty expensive and through Olga we rented an apartment for a few days. At a fraction of the cost of staying in a hotel.

When we were in Yakutsk Bolot told me that he had met a few Norwegians passing through Yakutsk on their way to Magadan in some old Land Cruisers. He even had a phone number. I rang the number and Audun answered in the other end. He was planning to ship his car home. We agreed on meeting in Magadan.

Our original plan, and the only way of shipping stuff out of Magadan, was to ship our bikes to Vladivostok by container. I know that someone previously (Walter) had managed to put the bike on the deck of the boat, but that option was now supposed to be impossible. So we were to ship the bikes and fly down to Vladivostok and wait there. This would take a week or two. Then when the bikes arrived in Vladivostok we would repack them in a new container and ship them to Norway. Then we would fly home. This would ad another two to three weeks to our trip. Just waiting I wasn't too keen on that.

The reason you can't ship abroad directly from Magadan it that Magadan has no customs service, and therefore you can not ship directly abroad.

Anyway, the first few days we just wandered around in Magadan. Had some nice food

Then we met up with Ilya, Katja and Alexander and had a few beers at the Green Crocodile Pub

We went up to Maska Skorbi and had a look.

It was a very spacial place to be.

Olga was our guide and we met some locals.

They were celebrating something and when in Rome we did as the Romans

Anyway, back to the shipping issue. We did some research and figured out that it should be possible to ship directly from Magadan to Norway. We contacted Yuri in Vladivostok. Yuri is "the" man in Vladivostok when it comes to bikers. He is mentioned in a lot of different forums and everyone gives him the best recommendations

In order to ship something from Magadan and through Vladivostok you have to be in Vladivostok in person in order to do the customs. Thats the main rule. That was not really an option for us. Our trip was done and for us to just wait in Vladivostok for two to three weeks was not an option. After lots of back and forth we concluded that it was possible to ship from Magadan as long as we empowered someone in Vladivostok to act on our behalf and it seemed like Yuri was our man. The problem was that we had to arrange all the paperwork in Magadan

We can order food in Russian, but arranging transport documents and going to government offices was a far fetch. We needed help and help we got in form of a very nice blond girl called Tanya Sorry no pictures

Tanya was the one Ewan and Charlie used when they came to Magadan. Tanya was effectiveness personated. We spent one day running around to different offices and finally we got a notarius publicus to sign the official paper.

What we had to do was to empower Yuri to act on our behalf with regards to the bikes. That also meant that he could sell the bikes if he wanted to Based on what we had read Yuri was a man to be thrusted and we did that. We got the letter and sent it to Yuri.

That was it Now all we had to do was to pack the bikes in the container. We needed three bikes and one Land Cruiser in one 20' container. It was a bit short I demounted my bike and then put it in the back of the car. Along with all the rest of our stuff.

Then we fitted the whole lot into the container My bike in the back of the car. Steve's bike over the hood and Erik's in the front. We could now get the h**l out of Dodge and home to our loved ones

Steve left a day before us so we arranged the packing with Audun. Finally we said good bye to Olga and Audun, and went down to the bus station. Audun was staying a few more days since his passport was somewhere in Mongolia. But thats another story

Erik and I was now to leave this great country and as a last thank you mother Russia gave us a final hug. When we arrived at the bus station a local guy came over to us and asked if we were going to the airport. He and his wife were going to pick up some family members and if we needed a lift we could come along

Our great adventure had come to an end. The country and the people we have met has marked us for life. In the most positive way

Now a new adventure is in the molding pot. Same country, but different place. That will be another story here on advrider

To all the people who have followed us: Thank you very much See you on the road somewhere

EtronX screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 02:19 PM
EtronX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #4495
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,892
Thanks again
there has been no ride report better than this one
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #4496
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 935
Thumb wow

Wow what a story.
Thanks everyone who contributed to it, without you it would have been as great.
To the Sibirsky Extreme team

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #4497
Franck B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Thank You for this great adventure Report that I followed from day one.
I realise, reading through it, and the tons of Information it conveys, how much different Russia is nowadays, compared to my trip there in 1994. The authentic russian spirit (and I don't mean vodka) is still alive, and it΄s good so.
There is a very special room for Russia in my heart and soul, I was 21 when I travelled from France to there on my DR350 and finally worked there. Like the adventurers of this story, I was fascinated by Russia. I recall being the very first biker the customs saw crossing the Russian-Letvian border, the customs invited me for dinner, from the very first meter into Russia, I was to know their legendary hospitality.
Thumbs up to all the riders for sharing this adventure with us, and at the first place to Walter for this and all the work done
Franck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #4498
Twinmike
Grandpa

Oddometer: 117
Bike transport

Thank you EtronX for this information obout the biketransport back to norway.
I think this way of transport back to austria for a solo rider like me would be very expensive.
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #4499
calibro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Wow

That was one incredible story and I m looking forward to next one.thanks to all participant.
calibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #4500
EtronX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Price of shipping

Quote:
Thank you EtronX for this information obout the biketransport back to norway.
I think this way of transport back to austria for a solo rider like me would be very expensive.
Not necesarily The cost of the container was about € 5.000,-. We were four guys splitting that.

There are lots of people passing through Magadan in some way. If you are not in a hurry you will always find someone to share the cost with.

If needed I have the numbers for Olga and Tanya. Yuri you will find on the Hubb