Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #1216
bumbeen
Banned

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
Yup, especially on the street, much safer, If I am braking after I am leaned over, it is because I misjudged the corner, or have great visibility. As soon as I roll into a turn, I am maintaining or accelerating. And slow in fast out is fast even on the track. I believe Kenny Roberts espouses to this technique. It works even on the track, and track days, I know from first hand experience. a 5-10 mph higher exit speed would let my 200lbs frame, on a 550 lbs, 90 hp bike, outrun the CBRYZGSXKZ 600's on a regular basis.
So you are disagreeing with the logic that you should keep some pressure on the front brake until you can see a late apex and that the road is clear
bumbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #1217
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbeen View Post
So you are disagreeing with the logic that you should keep some pressure on the front brake until you can see a late apex and that the road is clear
Keep pressure, I will say yes I am disagreeing, not my style. Keep fingers on the lever at the ready is prudent. I late apex, to maximize vision, and my pitch in on most corners is not until I can see the exit, or at least feel I have enough clues to know where the exit is.

In reality in the tight twisty stuff I rarely use the brakes, I like to keep it simple and keep the revs up, that makes the throttle alone do 90% of the speed control. On the street you can ride very swiftly in the corners, without rushing blindly into corners so that you need to rely on the brakes a lot. Remember SMOOTH is fast

PFFOG screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 08:24 AM
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #1218
MTNRiderAB
Information Sponge

Oddometer: 44
[QUOTE=MoDoc;15204621]

Ride with patients. QUOTE]

With patients? From the hospital?

Sorry, first post on this forum and I'm being a grammer dick on a two year old post.
MTNRiderAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #1219
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
[QUOTE=MTNRiderAB;20945914]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoDoc View Post

Ride with patients. QUOTE]

With patients? From the hospital?

Sorry, first post on this forum and I'm being a grammer dick on a two year old post.
It's hard to resist, but you'll learn. Don't try it in Jo Mamma!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #1220
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
[QUOTE=Craneguy;20947050]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNRiderAB View Post

It's hard to resist, but you'll learn. Don't try it in Jo Mamma!

What he meant was you need to ride with patients so as not to become one of the patience.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #1221
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
[QUOTE=slide;20947101]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post

What he meant was you need to ride with patients so as not to become one of the patience.
Things just became surreal. Lol whut?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #1222
bumbeen
Banned

Question.

I can "work up" to a full lock turn on my bike by turning and slowly making it tighter over a full circle or two, but I cannot immediately just jump into making a turn that tight from moving in a straight line. This makes it difficult to execute u-turns on demand. If I want to make a u-turn on the street I almost always run wide, but if I am in a parking lot, I can usually get my turning radius down to a parking space + one half ~15'. That should be plenty tight enough for any road but I cannot seem to execute it without a good bit of warmup.

Are there any drills or tips for doing this "on command"? I always feel like I am going too fast at 8mph, even though that should be fine.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #1223
bumbeen
Banned

Second question.

I am under the impression that to scrub in the edges of tires, it would be wise to counterlean through a corner to push the bike down onto the edge of the tire but still have less lateral G force than you would if you were hanging off and on the edge of the tire.

Basically two riding positions, both riding on the edge of the tire:
A) Crossed up/counterleaning, e.g. .6G through the corner of radius X at 30mph
B) Hanging off, e.g. .8G through the corner of radius X at 50mph

Both let you use the edge of the tire but you are pushing the tire less when crossed up correct?

Given this assumption if correct, are you therefore less likely to lowside when crossed up and scraping pegs, than if you are hanging off and scraping pegs, given that if you're hanging off and scraping pegs, you're putting far more lateral G force on the tire than if you were sitting upright and pushing the bike down into the corner?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #1224
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Beats me, but I'd suggest you play around with this stuff at the track. Pushing skills isn't a thing to do on the street where you may round a corner to find a girl scout troop crossing the road or patch of diesel or some sand. If you are pushing your limits, you won't have the ability to take evasive action.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #1225
bumbeen
Banned

I prefer a parking lot!

Question three:

Is the sole purpose of counterleaning during u-turns so that we can do them at slower speeds? If so, why can't I just sit straight in the saddle and add a few mph to my speed and maintain the same lean angle and turn radius? Or might I even hang off and do a u-turn scraping the pegs and knee at 20mph instead of 7?

This is making me think the whole drag rear brake and counterlean business is a waste of time, just add a little throttle and you can maintain the same turning radius without having to mess with the clutch or rear brake or shifting your weight at all yes?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #1226
Antiquar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbeen View Post
I prefer a parking lot!

Question three:

Is the sole purpose of counterleaning during u-turns so that we can do them at slower speeds? If so, why can't I just sit straight in the saddle and add a few mph to my speed and maintain the same lean angle and turn radius? Or might I even hang off and do a u-turn scraping the pegs and knee at 20mph instead of 7?

This is making me think the whole drag rear brake and counterlean business is a waste of time, just add a little throttle and you can maintain the same turning radius without having to mess with the clutch or rear brake or shifting your weight at all yes?
You should check out the Gymkhana thread in this same subforum.
Antiquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #1227
bumbeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquar View Post
You should check out the Gymkhana thread in this same subforum.
I thought about posting my questions there but this seemed more appropriate. I went to one but it was more like a slow obstacle course hehe.

I answered my first question myself, the answer was simply to countersteer faster so I immediately drop into a significant lean and the bars swing back around to full lock to keep the bike upright. Will take some practice to get it down pat.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #1228
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Time to reignite this thread

The Rules of Motorcycle Riding:

1st RULE: You are not Immortal

nd RULE:
You are NOT Immortal

3rd RULE: The hospital is a painful/scary/depressing/expensive place you don't want to go to

4th RULE: ATGATT M*T*E*F*C*E*S! Do You Speak It?

5th RULE: Look where you're going @sshole!

6th RULE: No countersteerin', no gain!

7th RULE: The greatest hazard is the one you didn't see coming

8th RULE: You are not a motorcyclist until you've run out of gas in the middle of nowhere with no cellphone coverage or GPS. Go ride some!

Blue&Yellow screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 04:21 PM
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #1229
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,401
Just because the aftermarket part is for your bike doesn't mean you just slap it on there. especially if has been sitting in someone's shed for 30 years cuz they long sold their bike and finally decided to get rid of the part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #1230
Pruhusky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
All things equal, it's better to have learned in the dirt

Most of these posts are right on the money. I'm a semi-geezer at 45, and learned to ride in the woods back when the XR 600 was king. I later moved on to a host of 2-stroke machines that taught me about big power coming in very small packages. No one can argue against the skill set developed through riding off road, where the terrain changes by the foot, and the bike is always floating under you in a state of constant over / understeer. Here in VT, the roads are a constant mess, with most of the asphalt connecting to gravel. There are often huge sections that come out of nowhere that contain marble sized gravel and sand to catch you out. The "old and bold" comment is accurate as hell.
Pruhusky is offline   Reply With Quote