Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
ahwarm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Need 2003 Shadow Tech Help

Hello,

I recently just bought a 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. It ran perfectly fine for around 25 miles on Tuesday ( the day I purchased it ). I went out to the garage on Thursday to ride it around and it just won't stay running. Whether the choke is on or off, it starts to idle extremely low and dies. When it dies all the lights and gauges shut off. Possible battery issue? The previous owner said he replaced the battery that day and had the box to prove it. Was it just fresh the day I drove it home and that's why it ran for those 25 miles. Now that it's been sitting a couple of days, it's toast? Some kind of short issue if it's drawing all the juice from a battery?

Thanks
ahwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Yeah, new batteries flake out too.
Pull the battery and have it checked. Most any of the big chain auto parts stores will do it for free.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwarm View Post
Hello,

I recently just bought a 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. It ran perfectly fine for around 25 miles on Tuesday ( the day I purchased it ). I went out to the garage on Thursday to ride it around and it just won't stay running. Whether the choke is on or off, it starts to idle extremely low and dies. When it dies all the lights and gauges shut off. Possible battery issue? The previous owner said he replaced the battery that day and had the box to prove it. Was it just fresh the day I drove it home and that's why it ran for those 25 miles. Now that it's been sitting a couple of days, it's toast? Some kind of short issue if it's drawing all the juice from a battery?

Thanks
Does it restart after it dies? Does it turn over after it dies?
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
ahwarm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Yes. It will turn over fairly quickly after the lights come on.
ahwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
Marcham
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Do you have a volt meter and clamp on amp meter?

Is there any sediment in the tank or float bowls?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,633
If the engine dies (maybe due to a carb issue) the lights and everything electrical should stay on. If not the problem is probably electrical. Also if it ran fine when you got it, carbs do not gum up overnight. These bikes do not have a choke, they have an "enrichener" and on most of them, the fitting where the cable attaches to the carb is made out of really easy to break plastic. You might want to check that out. But that still does not explain the loss of electrical power. How long does it take for the power to come back on after the engine dies? Does wiggling the key in the ignition switch make any difference. Sounds like you may have intermittent electrical contact somewhere.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
i would guess its just a bad connection somewhere. check the terminals on the battery, clean them and make sure everything is tightend up. could be the PO didn´t take much care when installing the new battery. i had a bike dying like this some time ago, turned out the PO of the bike installed a hidden fuse in one of the cables and that fuse had a bad connection.

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote