Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #16
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
The Hendricks-Condit fight was fun to watch.
+1

Great fight.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I boxed for three years in college. Getting hit in the head doesn't hurt. Getting hit in the body will stay with your for a week or so.

I agree, MMA is a ridiculously tough sport. You gotta be tough to fight like that.

Maybe I'm asking for the moon... exciting fights every time. I just think if GSP took a chance, he'd end his fights quickly and in spectacular fashion. That's what I want to see. I want to see every fighter go into the cage and fight like it's life or death instead of playing it safe, and I think (but, obviously, don't know) that GSP is playing it safe in his fights.
I remember seeing stars when I was 12, even with the head gear and huge gloves.

I know what you mean. I think GSP fights to win. I've seen a lot of fights where one fighter seems to be ahead and comes charging in only to be knocked out by a 'lucky' shot. I didn't see this fight so I don't know how it went except by the highlights and reports. I really expected GSP to take Diaz to the ground and submit him because he's so good at that. I really didn't expect it to go 5 rounds. Maybe GSP decided the fans don't get their money's worh with early submissions?

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #18
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
I remember seeing stars when I was 12, even with the head gear and huge gloves.

I know what you mean. I think GSP fights to win. I've seen a lot of fights where one fighter seems to be ahead and comes charging in only to be knocked out by a 'lucky' shot. I didn't see this fight so I don't know how it went except by the highlights and reports. I really expected GSP to take Diaz to the ground and submit him because he's so good at that. I really didn't expect it to go 5 rounds. Maybe GSP decided the fans don't get their money's worh with early submissions?
A punch to the head will definitely have you seeing stars, but it doesn't really hurt. Well, broken noses hurt, but after the fourth or fifth broken nose it's not so bad. With a headshot, your thoughts just feel fuzzy and slow and you feel light.

I was only knocked out once, and never hit the canvas... I just went blind for about three or four seconds and the referee realized what had happened and stepped in and saved me. I was still standing, but I was definitely out. The next punch would have definitely put my lights out completely.

Mr_Gone screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 03:37 PM
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
Veteran Noob
Unremarkable

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Well I boxed until I got hit in my first sparring match. My 12 year old brain said screw this.
I had my first bout as an 11 yr old. Two rounds. Don't remember too much except after the first round my coach saying I was doing great. My head hurt, my ribs hurt, hell I hurt all over. After the fight I remember my head hurt so much I thought it was going to explode, I was on the verge of puking and I wanted to cry. Funny thing is, I won! If winning hurt this much, how bad does losing feel?

After a couple more fights, things settled down and weren't such a blur and my defense was much more effective but, even at three rounds, a good bout would stay with you for a few days.

Endless respect for fighters, but no envy!

Veteran Noob screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 01:14 PM
Veteran Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,880
I can't stand shit talkers. Glad GSP sorted him out.

And did you see the cheap shots he tried to take after the bell at the end of the first and second rounds.....?

Chump!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post

And did you see the cheap shots he tried to take after the bell at the end of the first and second rounds.....?

Chump!
I think he tried to take a cheap shot at the end of the 3rd round also.

I'm glad GSP won, also.

I don't wish anyone ill will, but I hope someone helps Diaz figure out his life. He really seems unequipped to live in the real world. He's made some money, but paid no taxes. No taxes!!! How does that happen? Who's advising him? He is undoubtedly talented, and probably works as hard as anyone in MMA, but when his career finally does come to an end, he's going to have a very difficult transition. Maybe he'll be a gym rat forever.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #22
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
jdiaz?
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #23
NZDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I don't mind that much watching GSP go the 5 rounds and get a UD, he is the champ afterall only needs to defend his belt.

It should be up to the guy going after his belt to figure out a way to beat him and that hasn't happened for awhile, maybe Hendriks who's next up will figure out a way do do it?

Hendriks has a strong wrestling background and is heavy handed so that may give GSP some problems, he may be harder to take down and keep down than others GSP has fought...or not
NZDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #24
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZDave View Post
Hendriks has a strong wrestling background and is heavy handed so that may give GSP some problems, he may be harder to take down and keep down than others GSP has fought...or not
Sounds like koscheck (who Hendricks beat, but in a split decision, vs gsp totally dismantalling kos). :-)

And while gsp hasn't finished a fight in a bit, he's punished some guys in 'decisions':

PoundSand screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 12:15 AM
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #25
NZDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
jdiaz?
I see what you did there
NZDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #26
vettex2
X-Racer

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post

Chump!
it was the only way he could get the fight......

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: