ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Honkylicious OP
sup?

Oddometer: 856
Question Bike Rental, Great Sand Dunes Area?

The wife and I are going to The Great Sand Dune NP this summer for a week or so, and I was wondering if there are any places to rent dual sport bikes in the area? I do realize that there is no riding on the dunes in the NP, but how about surrounding areas? How about good campimg areas, primitive or roadside prefered. I am in the very early stages of planning, and any advice on the area is appreciated.

Thanks, Robert
Old 03-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkylicious View Post
The wife and I are going to The Great Sand Dune NP this summer for a week or so, and I was wondering if there are any places to rent dual sport bikes in the area? I do realize that there is no riding on the dunes in the NP, but how about surrounding areas? How about good campimg areas, primitive or roadside prefered. I am in the very early stages of planning, and any advice on the area is appreciated.

Thanks, Robert
I'll bite.
Ummm..well. The dunes are a nice place to take a break when traveling. Maybe even camp for a night, if you like dune camping(windy sand, dry, etc.) If you like desolation, that's a good place to start, and head south down the San Louis valley.

I'd say stay there a night, and if it's what suit's ya then stay. otherwise,then head north for a few hour's. and follow the Arkansas river, it's more "Colorado scenic" along that route. Maybe even take a road over a pass like Monarch, Cottonwood, etc..

Hope you have a great trip!

Edit- I've heard that those dunes were created erosion due mostly to winds..it get's a bit breezy. And unless you contact Ron to have a bike delivered, you're looking at pedal bikes.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.

Tha Rick screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 11:56 PM
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,233
I agree with Tha Rick. A week could be a long time at the dunes. I have camped at the park campground. I remember it being basic, but we were just tent camping anyway. We were there to snowboard on the dunes, which was pretty fun. Best done at night, when the sand is coldest, find the steepest spot, lots of turns and silicone spray helped! Anyway, i think from there the nearest bike rental may be in Salida. I had heard there is a place there renting dual sports, or maybe it is just dirtbikes. Durango has a Harley dealer, so maybe you could get a street bike there. There are a lot of good roads to tour down around there!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,170
Agreed, I live here, can see the dunes from my house and I think a week would be a long time. Nice primitive camping on Medano Pass east of the dunes, and it would be fun to spend a day riding on the pass but no rentals that I know of. Good fly fishing in Medano Creek, a little tougher after the erosion from the fire but still plenty to enjoy for a day or two. A world of hiking, Cold Creek, Sand Ramp Trail, Big South Canyon, Mount Herard, etc., enough to keep someone busy for a summer if you wanted. Personally I could enjoy a few days fishing, and hiking on Medano Pass , and a day doing the doing the national park thing on the dunes proper but then would move north to the Salida area or west to South Fork/Creede/Lake City and finish my time over there. I would be happy to answer any San Luis Valley/Rio Grande national forest questions you have, just shoot me a note.

Pat
Old 03-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,414
Question: There isn't any direct motorized access to the dunes is there?

I guess that one can always bomb Blanca. It's been a while for me. I would love to ride it again.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,170
No dune access. I once pulled off the road to let some jeeps go by and was lambasted by one of the rangers for "disturbing micro ecosystems". Based on existing tracks I was 7 feet off the traveled way .

Blanca is a hoot, I have been up to Como on the 400 but never tried going past the first little group of cabins at the top of the switchbacks (Commodore) on the 650. If you get this way give me a shout, I'd love to go up there with you. It's good recreation watching the jeeps
Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,430
Rainbow trail heads north from the vicinity of the dunes, I hear it's pretty nice trail.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
Honkylicious OP
sup?

Thumb

Thanks for all the input guys. Spending a week in the sand seems long to me too, but the wife is looking forward to it......... I think I can talk her into staying in and exploring other areas as well though. I'll Google some of yall's suggestions, but may just contact you via pm. This is my first trip out west, and hope to make the best of it. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks, Robert
Old 03-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,414
Since no one suggested it, TinCup and Pitkin isn't all that far away. Taylor park is a great place to spend a day or two.

The area around the sand dunes is more scrub brush and desert. The higher you go the greener it gets. The drive between South Fork and Creed is one of my favorites. I like high green vistas.

Enjoy your stay.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,513
If this is your first trip out west, I agree: don't spend it all at the dunes!

These guys rent bikes (including small dualsports like DRZ's and XT's) in Salida, about 80 miles away from the Dunes, with more riding to do, too.

http://www.rockymountainjeeprentals.com/

I don't think bikes are listed on the site, but give them a call.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:38 AM   #11
Honkylicious OP
sup?

Laugh

Thanks 'Duke, I'll give them a call. I'll try to Google Tincup, Pitcin, and Taylor park today.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkylicious View Post
Thanks 'Duke, I'll give them a call. I'll try to Google Tincup, Pitcin, and Taylor park today.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Oldwin1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
bike Rentals

I rent bikes out of Boulder/Lafayette. I have DR650s, Vstrom 650s and 1000s and BMW F800 GS. Give me a call.
Ron
Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
Honkylicious OP
sup?

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwin1 View Post
I rent bikes out of Boulder/Lafayette. I have DR650s, Vstrom 650s and 1000s and BMW F800 GS. Give me a call.
Ron

Checked out your web site, the dr650 would be my choice from your herd. I will only be riding one day, unless the ol' lady lets me ride more. We will be out that way end of June, beginning of July. I'be in touch.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,082
I heard the wind at the dunes is strong, strong enough it knock your tent flat at night and you end up sleeping in your vehicle...LOL
modette is offline   Reply With Quote