User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Seat foam?

Does anyone know where I can get a new seat foam for a 1986 R80 G/S full length seat?

I am hoping to find something possibly even more comfortable than stock a bit. I am custom making a suede seat cover but my foam is dried out and brittle.

Thanks

PS, budget is very important right now.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post

I am hoping to find something possibly even more comfortable than stock a bit. I am custom making a suede seat cover but my foam is dried out and brittle.

are there different foam densities to choose from?

If you go leather/suede seat cover should you give the foam a waterproof wrap?
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
naginalf
Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer: 250
You could get custom foam

I was thinking of going with this company. They can layer up as many as you want, several different firmnesses and they even have memory foam and latex foam (gets expensive tho). I was going to build up a custom seat by getting a seat pan of some nature, literally buying a buttload of cheap, off brand playdo , then piling it onto the seat pan and actually sit on it with it on the bike. Then simply cut a new, custom, T shaped foam block with an electric kitchen knife to match (eyeball) and have it upholstered. Personally, I want a seat with a memory foam top layer, in a dirtbike seat style, coming straight off the tank instead of down and around, then terminating with an ass shaped T section in the back, a little bit of both worlds. Plenty of support for touring when I pull my bars back and relax. Then I can put the bars forward and have plenty of leg space for off road, while at the same time, making the seat a more appropriate height.

Just don't put your eye out with the electric knife

naginalf screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 10:51 AM
naginalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,160
Dont know for a fact, you will have to contact them. But sargents cycles in Jax fl does that kinda stuff. I purchased a seat cover from them a while back that was kinda complicated on exactly what I needed, one of the reps had me take pictures, send measurements, etc etc. For me he actually recommended I keep my current original foam (didnt try to upsell me). Was very happy with them!

http://www.sargentcycle.com/
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
Dont know for a fact, you will have to contact them. But sargents cycles in Jax fl does that kinda stuff. I purchased a seat cover from them a while back that was kinda complicated on exactly what I needed, one of the reps had me take pictures, send measurements, etc etc. For me he actually recommended I keep my current original foam (didnt try to upsell me). Was very happy with them!

http://www.sargentcycle.com/
I did something similar a few years ago with one of the seat manufacturers. I bought a chunk of their foam and used an electric carving knife to shape a seat for my DRZ. It is far superior to stock and didn't cost much.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
I did something similar a few years ago with one of the seat manufacturers. I bought a chunk of their foam and used an electric carving knife to shape a seat for my DRZ. It is far superior to stock and didn't cost much.
+1, it's not that difficult and not that expensive to do over if you screw up. I like the firmer 8lb rebond foam. Wrap it in a 1/2" sheet of softer foam to take up any small irregularities using spray adhesive to stick it down and put a cover on it. Just remember when buying your foam that whatever density you choose WILL soften pretty quickly with some use, so buy something harder than you want and be aware that it'll soften up.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Airhead,
Tell that to a KTM seat...once a rock always a rock on those puppies.

So overall you guys are suggesting a stock foam and then maybe play with a layer or two of different densities on top.

I have cut some of my own foam blanks for a cafe bike I am building but they are just mediocre. I have a carving knife for the garage.
I wonder if I should try cutting the stock sun rotted, dried out foam from the stock seat pan and then replace the bad areas by gluing some new layers on top.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,338
Quote:
I wonder if I should try cutting the stock sun rotted, dried out foam from the stock seat pan and then replace the bad areas by gluing some new layers on top.
I'd try to pull it off the pan in one piece and then copy the shape. I'd use all new foam.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

I found this place:

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/sea...seats_bmw..htm

But there is no picture of the '80-97 seat foam and cover...My '86 seat looks different than the R100 seat so I do not know how they use the same cover and foam....
Old 03-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,362
Watching seats made at Rich's, you could go uber nuts on it and use a gel insert as well.

Basically, they use the OEM foam cut it to shape, add a layer of upholstery foam, shape it. Send you out on a ride, you say good or bad, then they cut a pocket, insert a gel pad, then put a thin layer of foam or cloth over that. Sounds easy, but the dude really knows his stuff. He's studied/self read on orthopedics, and what not.

The best thing really is to get the foam cut the way you think it should be, ride on it a bit, like a week or a long ride, and adjust from there, then cover it when it feels good.

Hard part on all dualsport riding positions is you sit more upright on them, so more weight is carried on your sit bones and muscles. I've found that if possible, it helps to get some weight on the arms and get a bit of a lean so the wind also holds you up. Maybe even roll the bars forward a bit. It's sort of contrary to what you want to do, which is to have a nice upright touring position.

I'm also short and have found if you make the seat narrower, rather than shorter it helps with getting your feet on the ground but maintains a comfortable seat to foot peg relationship and you retain more foam.

So think about how you sit on it. It may be more beneficial to buy quality thinner (1/2") foam and layer it over the oem foam and cutting it to shape.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.

batoutoflahonda screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 01:18 AM
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #11
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
I bought a piece on eBay. Make certain it's the best/correct foam for the job as many kinds out there. I cut mine on my 14" woodworking bandsaw. Go slow and easy to cut . If you need to round the edges various power sanders can work or the electric knife which I didn't use. I have layered 1/4" neoprene(whatever it takes as the top is often the only part degraded) over the older foam & reused them too.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

My RT has a Corbin seat on it and it is rock hard...too hard. It also is really wide at the front. I am 6' and have a 32" inseam so height is not usually an issue, but the width is a problem.

The final thing I hate on it is that it has a large hump in the front center area, I think to help try to keep you pushed back into the saddle area for the best support, but man it sucks. It make my nuts go to sleep and get all painfully tingly...not the "good" tingly, to the point that I have to stand up alot on long rides.

If I ride a full gas tank without stopping I am dying.

On this seat I want to keep it flatter, and narrower at the front, with less of a sunken "saddle" fit but I will put a small ridge behind the rump to give me that resistance to sliding backwards.

Siebenrock make a replacenment foam, but I can not find a cost...I am sure it is out of my budget for now though.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
ontic

Oddometer: 1,048
Siebenrock replacement foam is listed as Euro 59.50 (just look on their english version webshop)

I refoamed my denfield police solo seat on my R90- did different layers for different densities, a lot of work, didn't come out perfect, actually quite expensive buying different foams and glues, and even though it was comfortable and is still OK it is already pretty crapped out. Doing it again, if I could buy a good modern foam replacement for that for 60 euro I would do it in a heart beat.
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #14
Scratch33
Fugawi?

Oddometer: 1,988
I buy my seat foam from AliMed. The hard (green) density works best for me - it conforms nicely.

http://www.alimed.com/t-foam-cushion-13834.html

2008 R1200GSA
2009 DD750
2010 MADASS 125
Scratch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Does anyone know where I can get a new seat foam for a 1986 R80 G/S full length seat?

Thanks

PS, budget is very important right now.
I'm starting seat build using Minicell foam. i'v done Sea Kayak cockpits out of it. it's quite hard and you work it differently than other foams. It's also closed cell and thus waterproof. You don't even need to cover it. You get the comfort by sculpting it to your butt. Really sculpting it. Sit, sculpt, sit, sculpt, sit and read a book for a half an hour, sculpt.

I find the hard well sculpted seat is more comfortable than a squishy one. I'm dissapointed in my Airhawk cushion. it distributes weight perfectly and gives maximum circulation. Fine if you are in a wheelchair (these guys make the ROHO wheelchair cushions which are the standard of the industry) but the pressure on the soft tissue hurts after awhile. I'd rather have less there and more pressure on the bones and just stand a moment here and there to keep the circulation going.

A 3" by 36" by 12" block of minicell is $45 at NRS and they are not the cheapest place to buy.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...FegWMgodjUgAsg

I also always have a thick sheepskin on my seat which picks up stuff like the seams in my pants and whatnot.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote