Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #16951
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Should be interesting.
Attachment 314417

That was awesome, but way too short at only 2 min. I could watch for an hour at least.

Link for the lazy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eewnPbh0ww8
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #16952
bighead3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Tank Bag

I have a matt black Scrambler and I am thinking of getting one of the Triumph tank bags. Can any of you that have one tell me if there is a problem with it marring the paint on the tank.
bighead3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #16953
Extreme scrambler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Should be interesting.
Attachment 314417
Extreme scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #16954
mindfulness
more ride less worry

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead3 View Post
I have a matt black Scrambler and I am thinking of getting one of the Triumph tank bags. Can any of you that have one tell me if there is a problem with it marring the paint on the tank.
you'll def want to put a tank protector on the tank. I've had really good luck with http://thetankslapper.biz he makes static adhered clear film cut specific for like a million different tanks. around 15 bucks, great guy as well.
2012 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 evo sp
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #16955
mindfulness
more ride less worry

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosobrad View Post
Ride 'em!

Chadwick OHV, Mark Twain National Forest, SW Missouri. 3/17/13

great pics!
2012 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 evo sp
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #16956
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead3 View Post
If it is anything like the matte green, there is problem! Use a protector. I did not and I can definitely tell there is some slight something going on when the tank is wet. Not discernible when dry...but get a protector if you must use a tank bag.
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #16957
bighead3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman View Post
If it is anything like the matte green, there is problem! Use a protector. I did not and I can definitely tell there is some slight something going on when the tank is wet. Not discernible when dry...but get a protector if you must use a tank bag.
Thanks BOrderman, maybe I will just go with some kind of soft bag on the left side.
bighead3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #16958
Aeon
n00b

Oddometer: 6
The problem is that the matte paint essentially gets polished by the tank bag rubbing on it. There is no way to remove the resulting "gloss" lines from what I understand.

It's too late for me.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:58 AM   #16959
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
The problem is that the matte paint essentially gets polished by the tank bag rubbing on it. There is no way to remove the resulting "gloss" lines from what I understand.

It's too late for me.
hit it with a coat of gloss clear will fix the problem

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #16960
Simon T
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve SA View Post
Hi Simon,

I fitted the MAS Alu mud guards and I'm very happy with them. Nicely made. Only negatives are that they're not cheap and I had to wait about 6 months for the front fender to be manufactured. But I've got it now and very happy.

Steve
Thanks for that Steve....price is a little high for sure ....there is a guy here in the UK that makes fibre glass mudguards and short fender kits for a lot less dosh so i might get those and spray them up in Ally paint....not as nice I know but a lot cheaper!
Simon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #16961
Boola-Boola
Scramblin' Man

Oddometer: 111
Ernie Vigil post - The Scrambler Story

Ernie Vigil has posted, on his website, a great write-up on his Triumph Scrambler riding - covering a near 3000mile in 48hrs Border to Border run (Mexico - Canada - Mexico) and the ScrambleME video that followed.

'The Scrambler Story' on ernievigil.com at http://ernievigil.com/home/?p=360

Right on!!

'You gotta deep-six your wristwatch, you gotta try an' understand, the time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.' (Walk in the Sunshine : Bob Weir)

Boola-Boola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #16962
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 159
Great read!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #16963
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman View Post
I have used the Triumph branded tank bag for many miles. Cinched down good so it doesn't move and I have 'minimal' wear on my tank.
They key is to minimize movement.
One of my plastic buckles on my Triumph tank bag did break though. It still works ok as a three legged dog.

Its a good easy place to carry small items on the hard to carry stuff pesky high pipe bike.

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #16964
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
I have used the Triumph branded tank bag for many miles. Cinched down good so it doesn't move and I have 'minimal' wear on my tank.
Don't get me wrong I love tank bag...I'd cinch the livin shit out of it with the same idea, but all the fire road dust and bumps still got in there and left me with some 'minimal' wear as well (after about 10k miles of abuse). If I look really close I can see the wear in the pattern of the soft rubber pad on the bottom of the bag, so I know there was some micro movements going on. Son of a! But yea, in terms of ease of use it is very hard to beat a tank bag.
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:41 AM   #16965
Sam il Cinghio
dirty noob

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Packard View Post
Hi guys this is my first time posting,

So I currently have a 2005 Triumph Bonneville T100 and I love it for doing road riding and have taken it on some pretty bad roads in the back country between California highways 299 and 36. I am not thinking of getting rid of this motorcycle but was thinking about setting up a second one for more heavy duty fire roads and some mild off road areas.

Can a Bonneville T100 set up with better shocks and converted to the high pipes get the same clearance as a Scrambler? I figure if I change the front sprocket to a 17T, or even a 16T, that I can get about the same felt torque as what the 270 degree crank motor puts out. It may be sacrilege to say but I could care less about how the engine sounds and am much more worried about the performance being as good as I can get out of this frame.

I could use some input on the best shocks to be using but cost is also a factor at most I would be looking at the $700 range and would rather keep it lower, I know this has been covered before in posts that I had read but many were 3-5 years old so if anyone has current info that would be very useful.

Because a Bonneville uses 1" handle bars it was difficult to locate a motocross bar that would fit but found these: http://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php...t_detail&p=185

I was also planing on putting an Arrow 2:1 on it and know that I need to get the bracket and right side cover for that modification.

Used Bonnevilles are much easier to find than Scramblers and unfortunately I can't afford to buy a new motorcycle, only used. Plus I like carbureted way more than the new fuel injected so I am looking at only 2005-2007 Bonnevilles and 2006-2007 Scramblers as options.

So what do you guys think? Probably that I am crazy... :)

Norris
Ciao Norris, hi all (this is my first post also).

Look here my 2001 Bonneville T100 turned into a Scrambler

There is a long list of changes (and pics), if you are interested I can translate from italian in my bad english.
Sam il Cinghio is offline   Reply With Quote