User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
team sleaz OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
KLR650 Sidecar 2011 Model

Hi Been a while, sold my 2010 DR outfit, and got a near new KLR650. So far have built chassis with aTS185 rear modified and affixed to it.Also used a bit of ct125 frame to get shape I wanted, so i can use the suzi guard, shocks etc. Makes the toe in easy to set. Wheel is yam TT item with brake, will use this as park brake,as its a requirement in South Australia!! Body near done, I make them removable A bit more work but usefull at times. Have got a real gutsy looking rear suspension too. These bikes are restricted in power here as learner legal so i'll need to fix that too. hook up starts next week,when i'll decide sub frame or weld lugs to frame. If I could get pics on I will but I tried with DR but NFG. Be interesting to see how much of the original body can be refitted!!! Bye, Sleaz
team sleaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by team sleaz View Post
hook up starts next week,when i'll decide sub frame or weld lugs to frame. If I could get pics on I will but I tried with DR but NFG. Be interesting to see how much of the original body can be refitted!!! Bye, Sleaz

... host the pic's , direct/hot link from the host site ... we sees pitchers

Baldy of ADV fame smugmug site sign on page link

photobucket sign on link

Old 03-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Unstable Rider
ill mannered SOB

Oddometer: 2,467
shoot me a pm Sleaz, if you want help I will post pics for you if you are able to e-mail them to me, glad to help as a fellow KLR guy, I would like to see that set-up!

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
We make sub frames for this bike in both left and right side mount. If you are going to make your own set up people have had problems with frame failure on the bike when they use the down tube for the upper front mount. We tie onto the frames main tube under the tank as well as two other spots for our upper front mount which passes out the vent just ahead of the fuel tank. we also offer a leading link front end for these bikes
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Unstable Rider
ill mannered SOB

Jay, while you are on the wire here, I have a question-- with a 2008+ KLR, does one loose or retain the space or ability to continue to run two Pelican Storm cases as panniers on the back of the KLR?

Also, is there a downfall or disadvantage to mounting the car to the "wrong side" in the USA?

I typically pilot my KLR in the groove nearest the ditch or shoulder to my right. I don't like riding nearer the center lane. It occurred to me I may want the car to my left instead of my right.

Thoughts on that?

One of your setups is on my long-term to-do list. I am just waiting for my budget to catch up with my want list.

~Butch Cassidy
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
One issue with the Pelican bags is that they open out. You may find depending on the design of the sidecar body that you can not open them. The fix for this is to mount the bag on the sidecar side such that it is easy to remove. So you take the bag off to open it.
I would not want to run a sidecar mounted on the left in a country where sidecars mounted on the right is the norm. With the sidecar on the "wrong" side you must hang the sidecar out more into on comming traffic in order to see if you can pass. Toll boths and drive up windows are also a problem and lastly, alingment has to be set up different due to the crown of the road. At this time we are offering left side mounts for many bikes and developing more left side mounts as we can. We only offer one left side mount sidecar. It is our M72DX
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Unstable Rider
ill mannered SOB

Well spoken, thanks Jay!

~Butch Cassidy
Old 04-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #8
oldmanmuzza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by team sleaz View Post
Hi Been a while, sold my 2010 DR outfit, and got a near new KLR650. So far have built chassis with aTS185 rear modified and affixed to it.Also used a bit of ct125 frame to get shape I wanted, so i can use the suzi guard, shocks etc. Makes the toe in easy to set. Wheel is yam TT item with brake, will use this as park brake,as its a requirement in South Australia!! Body near done, I make them removable A bit more work but usefull at times. Have got a real gutsy looking rear suspension too. These bikes are restricted in power here as learner legal so i'll need to fix that too. hook up starts next week,when i'll decide sub frame or weld lugs to frame. If I could get pics on I will but I tried with DR but NFG. Be interesting to see how much of the original body can be refitted!!! Bye, Sleaz
Hi, Take the top off your carby be careful Of the spring you will see two holes in the slide fill them with new metal or similar let harden {voila}at least 15 more horses== leave rear sprocket standard use 13 tooth front == you will still have 125kph and be able to crawl up any mountain, there are those who will tellyou thats bulldust {check out my post on oldmanmuzza} and you will see where I have been on my 2011 model. Any questions just PM me,Cheers.