Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
walkingbear OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,349
trailer-maybe a trike or ?

Vintage Motorcycle Camper Trailer - from 1930s Popular Science Mag

It’s fairly common to see Honda Gold Wings or Harley touring rigs cruising down the highway with a trailer in tow, but the idea is hardly new. Once again, the dusty shelves of The Kneeslider research library yield this plan from a 1930s Popular Science magazine article for a motorcycle camper trailer by an unnamed German inventor. It isn’t just a carry all for saddle bag overflow, either, this has a double bed, closets, pantry, cook stove and roof rack for a canoe. Considering the motorcycle engines of the time, it might have taken a while to get up to speed with a rider, passenger and fully loaded trailer, not to mention the added air resistance, even though it has a “streamlined housing” over the front wheel, but then, speed limits were lower, too. “Cyclists now may have the same comforts as autoists.”

I have no idea if this ever went beyond the concept stage but I love the old style engineering and design. The teardrop shape reminds me of an early Airstream trailer without the polished metal finish. Cool stuff!

#motorcycle #campers #trailer #vintage

via/ thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/11/07/vintage-motorcycle-camper-traile

Looks like fun
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,300
What's old is new and what's new is old, spotted in Nova Scotia a few years ago.

99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,595
It’s fairly common to see Honda Gold Wings or Harley touring rigs cruising down the highway with a trailer in tow, but the idea is hardly new. Once again, the dusty shelves of The Kneeslider research library yield this plan from a 1930s Popular Science magazine article for a motorcycle camper trailer by an unnamed German inventor. It isn’t just a carry all for saddle bag overflow, either, this has a double bed, closets, pantry, cook stove and roof rack for a canoe. Considering the motorcycle engines of the time, it might have taken a while to get up to speed with a rider, passenger and fully loaded trailer, not to mention the added air resistance, even though it has a “streamlined housing” over the front wheel, but then, speed limits were lower, too. “Cyclists now may have the same comforts as autoists.”

I have no idea if this ever went beyond the concept stage but I love the old style engineering and design. The teardrop shape reminds me of an early Airstream trailer without the polished metal finish. Cool stuff!

Well Kirk now that you've joined the heavy metal crowd anything is possible ,I'm new here myself but these guys all seem to have big tents and dogs, a dog and a fascination with sidecars is why I'm here. I bought a couple Remus exhausts from you years ago they are still working fine,welcome and take care.DB