User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #16
PetrB OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Well. Yesterday I has made a new swingarm for LL fork. I do not like old. Its
torsion inflexibility and strength, all the same, makes me doubt. And new swingarm I was made from box tubing - I mean, what it is more durable. I belive, what it swingarm will be as strong, as it is scary looking)))

It remains to finish a few small things: weld the strengthening on the mounts of the fork tubes, and slightly round the corners.

I will not show this closer - otherwise you will find the pores and cracks again))) There is everything fine) And a couple of little defects I will re-weld later. Now I'm out of the electrodes.

PetrB screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 09:17 AM
PetrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #17
rebelpacket
four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer: 725
For what its worth; I've seen many welds that -LOOK- fantastic, but chip right off with a couple whacks from a chisel. I've also seen horrible looking welds (like yours), with good penetration, pass certification tests.

You shouldn't need to do multiple passes for that I think. Like the idea and the work you've done. You gotta learn somewhere, and this is a great way to start. I applaud you for going into it with gusto!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Bump

I am very interested to see how this turns out.

Please keep us updated on your progress.
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
diverdown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
As a welder here in canada I like what you are doing with what you have, most guys now can,t even weld with a stick welder. I like the gas can panniers very thoughtfull. welding with a DC machine on a low grid has gotta suck, I know years ago had to tell the wife to shut off the washer and dryer so I could weld. Now with inverter welders its a breeze. Once again we here in the Americas are lucky. Rebuilt a 2003 Harley sportster last year and some of the welds I came across were terrible and I ended up grinding them out and rewelding. and dont get me started on my china built knock off of a honda 250 xl. diverdown

diverdown screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 07:38 PM
diverdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
PetrB OP
Adventurer

That is all))

I finished my my fork, tested it and eliminate some defects

So, when I did all the parts and installed the fork to the bike, then it looked just prefect.

But the next day, when I went to test my product, I was very disappointed: at speeds of more than 20mph motorcycle was starts shimmying, and I has absolutely lost control. On bumpy dirt road it was okay, but on the highway, after 20-30 mph, I was not able to ride - it was horrible scary - I thought, what I'll be kill myself by this uncontrolled hack

Don't need to think long, to understand, that the reason for this lies in the lack of fork trail. The reason for the disappearance of the trail proved to be too slow and short shocks. I was extended length of the shocks, then tuned its hydraulics. After another ride I seen, that shimmy became weaker, but did not disappear completely. Then I was pursed suspension springs to achieve adequate rigidity.

New ride showed that now, finally, all the problems are solved. Now the hack rides beautifully on any road at any speed. I feel the real pleasure of driving over bumps - the suspension absorbs it without a trace.

However, on the pavement at 50mph, I feel a slight wobble. So, it will have to sacrifice high-speed qualities to off-road capabilities of the hack. But I don't hurry - I'll be ride more slowly now))

And now remains to paint all the unpainted parts.

PetrB screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 09:53 AM
PetrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #21
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,430
Would a Volkswagen-style steering damper be enough to fix the high speed problem?

Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #22
PetrB OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Would a Volkswagen-style steering damper be enough to fix the high speed problem?

I have been thinking about such hydraulic damper, and I will install it later. But the first thing I replace the shocks: those that are installed now - very old, and it is high time to throw it in a trash.

And there is no longer any problem. That wobbling, about which I have spoken, there is a very, very weak. And I think, what soon I will stop paying any attention for it. This is a matter of habit. Bike is not "prowl" the road (I do not know how to say it in English), it were swinging from side to side, like a boat. I can let hands off the steering, and hack will go straight with fully released damper.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #23
ridenfly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Glad to see you are getting it worked out. Have you tightened the knob on the steering head?
ridenfly is offline   Reply With Quote