Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #331
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Adventurer View Post
Drone;

Have you filled your tank from the No Spill Can yet?

Just wondering if that short spout works as well as the video indicates?

Thanks;

Keith
I have, and it does work just like the video. Full disclosure, though, the spout on my can leaked when I first got it. I contacted No-Spill and they sent me a whole new spout assembly no questions asked. The replacement spout is tight as a drum.

One thing I like about this product is if I break it or knock a hole in it, I can get a new one for $25 delivered. There's a ton of things on my rig that cost a lot more than that to fix or replace!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #332
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Brake Bleeding

Lost the brakes on the rear and the car. Air in the lines. First I tried a vacuum-style bleed and flowed a lot of fluid through both lines but no joy. Then I tried a reverse bleed. I have one of those reverse bleed kits from Griots Garage and it works well, but no matter how much fluid I pushed I still had air.

Finally found success the old-fashioned way. My bike has two identical master cylinders mounted side-by-side, one for the rear and one for the sidecar. The master cylinders are activated by the brake pedal through two connecting rods. I disconnected the one rod, then bled the brakes using the brake pedal traditional way. Then I disconnected that rod and connected the other one, and did it again. That was all it took!

Also want to tip my hat to Jay Giese at DMC who suggested that perhaps new air was getting into the system during the process by leaking past the threads in the brake bleeding nipples. Entirely plausible. So I greased those threads to seal them before I started on my third attempt. I wonder if that was the problem all along?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #333
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,604
Brake Bleeding

No it never stops, his thesis is possible, often one has to remove calipers tap on and turn over to get air moving.DB
Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #334
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
No it never stops, his thesis is possible, often one has to remove calipers tap on and turn over to get air moving.DB
Oh, I shoulda mentioned--I had both calipers off. Tapped, banged, swore at, held them high and low, upside down and sideways. I even tried sucking both of them completely dry using the vacuum and then starting over. This was a multi-day hassle of a bleed that I kindly boiled down into two paragraphs so as not to make it sound as frustrating as it was. I'd never heard about greasing the threads before--that was a new trick for me. Plus I think maybe you have to disconnect them from each other and do them one at a time.

Posted as a service announcement to others with the same setup as me.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #335
XL-erate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Thanks for sharing that tip, DRONE!

I installed Air Lift airbags to my truck front axle to help handle the weight after I swapped in a diesel. Had to custom install, none made for my old truck. Too long to explain but I have a persistent leak in both bags, brass fittings screwed into brass, because of how I installed them. Tried tightening 2 or 3 times but didn't want to go any tighter for fear I'd twist off the soft brass.

Never even considered greasing the fittings! Probaly just what it needs to allow them to thread down deeper and seal off the leaks. Thanks!
XL-erate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #336
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
What, this thing here??--

DRONE:

In his 3/17 blog update, Murph talks about installing this switch on his rig.

http://wherethehellismurph.blogspot.com

He also talks about installing the WARN XT-17 winch. WARN has them on sale right now.

http://www.warnfactoryoutlet.com/sho...=xt-17&x=0&y=0

Duncan
Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #337
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLerate View Post
Thanks for sharing that tip, DRONE!

I installed Air Lift airbags to my truck front axle to help handle the weight after I swapped in a diesel. Had to custom install, none made for my old truck. Too long to explain but I have a persistent leak in both bags, brass fittings screwed into brass, because of how I installed them. Tried tightening 2 or 3 times but didn't want to go any tighter for fear I'd twist off the soft brass.

Never even considered greasing the fittings! Probably just what it needs to allow them to thread down deeper and seal off the leaks. Thanks!
Rather than grease, why not teflon tape?
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #338
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
I believe he means its got a slight air leak while he was bleeding it without the bleeder real tight.DB
Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #339
Wylder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Hey Drone, What type of switch are you using for your adjustable shock? Could I get a pic of its mounting location.
Thanks Wylder
Wylder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #340
XL-erate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
Yes, but it's already too tight, kind of a jam fit. Air bags were installed last which meant that alignment of mounting holes was real difficult, unless I wanted to remove engine and motor mount pieces. Brass fittings rub against sides of holes going through motor mounts, messing up alignment with threaded holes in bags.

Some kind of lubricant may help it thread down tighter is what I'm thinking.
XL-erate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #341
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Easter Weekend ride

Took the rig for a short pavement ride this weekend with perfectly gorgeous weather. About a 450-mile RT to Hood River then over Barlow Pass and through east Portland on the way home. Camped out at Vernon's place and enjoyed the Bunny BBQ.

2nd ride with the 175/65-15 pusher mounted. WUMPA does not like this pusher! Don't know if it's the size, or mebbe I just got a bad tire. But WUMPA now has the dreaded 4th gear harmonic vibration common to a lot of 1150GSA's but which was not there before. Also got a speed-related bump-bump-bump-bump thing going on in both 5th and 6th between 60 and 70mph that smooths out at 70 (actual) and disappears at 73. I'm thinking the harmonic vibe is related to tire size and the bump-bump is the tire. It was spin-balanced, but it could just be a bad tire. I'm gonna switch back to the Snow+ 155/80-15 to make sure that all this unpleasantness is strictly because of the new tire.

Also the 2nd ride with the new fuel can. No issues. But it was an all-pavement ride so not much of a test.

Also the 2nd ride with the new rear shock spring. Again, no issues but again it was not a real test. I can say at least that going over frost heaves and similar whoopdeedoo's the bike hardly wallows anymore at all. In fact, I would not have noticed any wallow if I hadn't been looking for it. Really slight. Queen Bee did not report any transferred harshness to the chair. And we all know that if the Queen Bee ain't happy . . . .

With monkee and camping gear for one night, we averaged 28mpg. This was with 300 miles of 70-80mph slab, and 150 miles of 50-60mph blacktop including that 35-mile gas-guzzling climb from sea level to 4400' to get over Barlow Pass. Boosterplug connected. I'm OK with that kind of performance.

Not many pics from this trip. First, waterfront park site in Hood River looking over the Columbia River at White Salmon--

Next one, just after we went over Barlow Pass--

(Look! There's smoke coming out of Mt. Hood! Run for your lives! )

Stopped at a sno-park and this guy is hooking up his huskies to a kid's backyard plastic splash pool and gonna go for a ride. Fun!

Got an appointment with Alex at SSBMW for next Tuesday to get the new FD installed. Taking the opportunity, since the rear end is gonna be apart, to replace my drive shaft and install those Chicken Racing FD bushings.

DRONE screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 10:52 AM
DRONE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #342
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
2nd ride with the 175/65-15 pusher mounted. WUMPA does not like this pusher! Don't know if it's the size, or mebbe I just got a bad tire. But WUMPA now has the dreaded 4th gear harmonic vibration common to a lot of 1150GSA's but which was not there before. Also got a speed-related bump-bump-bump-bump thing going on in both 5th and 6th between 60 and 70mph that smooths out at 70 (actual) and disappears at 73. I'm thinking the harmonic vibe is related to tire size and the bump-bump is the tire. It was spin-balanced, but it could just be a bad tire. I'm gonna switch back to the Snow+ 155/80-15 to make sure that all this unpleasantness is strictly because of the new tire..
All your harmonics will be changing with FD change, what sort of gear lube do you use hopefully not a light full synthetic ? Green stuff grass and trees I'd sure like to see some of that ! It's 27F this am.DB
Old 04-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #343
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

BMW gear lube and tranny oil.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #344
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

On tires, what is sold to the rest of us maybe c or d tires apparently they are graded when produced and the manufacturers and big distributors get the pick of the litter or so a Ford Engineer explained to me once, I was surprised by the Nankangs being round and not needing much weight to balance, they are a copy of a Bridgestone all season.
A straight wt gear lube say 90 wt http://www.schaefferoil.com/gear-oils-lubricants.html
will definitely run quieter, though I have never tried BMW lubes.
Harmonics are funny I had a Two Bros pipe and muffler, I hated the sound of it with a helmet on, no helmet it was ok, but of course I ride with a helmet it got replaced,I've never had that well explained too me.DB
Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #345
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
On tires, what is sold to the rest of us maybe c or d tires apparently they are graded when produced and the manufacturers and big distributors get the pick of the litter or so a Ford Engineer explained to me once, I was surprised by the Nankangs being round and not needing much weight to balance, they are a copy of a Bridgestone all season.
A straight wt gear lube say 90 wt http://www.schaefferoil.com/gear-oils-lubricants.html
will definitely run quieter, though I have never tried BMW lubes.
Harmonics are funny I had a Two Bros pipe and muffler, I hated the sound of it with a helmet on, no helmet it was ok, but of course I ride with a helmet it got replaced,I've never had that well explained too me.DB
Dave it was probably the little guys in your head talking. You could hear them louder with the helme ton than with it off. Don't blame the exhaust.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote