Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #31
mike.l
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
What tyres are you running? Lowered the tyre pressure? Standing on the pegs? Gaze far ahead? Easy on the handlebars and steer with your knees? Let it move beneth you? When in doubt gas it?
On the button!
mike.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #32
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 859
Its not about tire pressure, its all speed. When its not speed, its about controlling the slide with the throttle to turn or about getting back up to plane speed. If its too hard with a whale, get a KTM 300!
Sporting Wood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #33
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
More like water skiing than riding. The slower you go the harder it is to stay afloat.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #34
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Well if you run the rims that the factory supplies to Meoni et al and if you have a crew to change your mousse every evening and if you can loft the front wheel at anytime like a factory racer and if you get a new rim at not cost and if you can ride a taco'd wheel out like Meoni...and if you like advice from a guy who doesn't own a 9x0

try 15 psi....
Not that exotic, only Excels. I leave my bike at 26psi even in sand but have had the occasion of letting the front down and the difference was staggering. A sandy track is different to foot deep powder. Fesh fesh the africans call it, here its called bulldust. Most of the time I couldn't be bothered to adjust pressures. BTW mousse aren't hard to change, no need for a crew just the right tools and technique. And if your saying I dont own a 950 I'd like to say thanks to Sporting Wood for the grommets you sent us, good onya mate!!
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #35
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,945
A few years ago I was at an XLPOR event and Jimmy Lewis was doing a hands on seminar. We were in a horse arena with somewhat deep soft sand. One of the guys asked what tire pressure he recommended. Jimmy's responce was "tire pressure makes very little difference in soft sand". He went on to say that you should run the same pressure you would normally run for off road.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #36
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
Not that exotic, only Excels. I leave my bike at 26psi even in sand but have had the occasion of letting the front down and the difference was staggering. A sandy track is different to foot deep powder. Fesh fesh the africans call it, here its called bulldust. Most of the time I couldn't be bothered to adjust pressures. BTW mousse aren't hard to change, no need for a crew just the right tools and technique. And if your saying I dont own a 950 I'd like to say thanks to Sporting Wood for the grommets you sent us, good onya mate!!

Wow...reading comprehension...hahahaha

Not your wheels....KTM team wheels for the racers

No one ever said anything about the difficulty of changing a mousse.

And it is Iceburg that doesn't own a 990....

Advising an LC8 owner to lower tire pressure below 28-30psi in the front is simply wrong....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #37
SlowJoefromBako
Aint livin long like

Oddometer: 41
It works best when you ride it like a 450.
SlowJoefromBako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #38
skclarey OP
Tempe trail rider

Oddometer: 61
500 and 300's

I raced the last 3 years on a 300 XC, and just got my 500 XC-W. So I am used to being able to steer with your legs and throttle. Maybe I will tone done the stabilizer, I guess ultimately I just don't want to put the 990 down! Its just a bigger difference than I remembered. The 990 is still the most fun I've ever had on a bike
Old 03-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #39
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by skclarey View Post
Wow she (2010 990) really is misbehaving in sand. The front end wants to swap in a bad way. Even with stabilizer almost fully cranked in. Any front end advice for sandy roads....
Maybe with these gloves . . http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871079
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #40
midfat
wholesome dirtiness

Oddometer: 203
On the gas! In most any situation, car or bike, a little throttle settles things down dramatically. It transfers the weight back and pushes the machine forward. Both are "forces of good." In the sand, as has been said before, higher speed and a liberal application of throttle makes everything feel so much better. Allow the bike to walk around and find its own path underneath you. As long as you're looking ahead, the bike will follow. Start looking at the ground in front of you, and the bike will follow.
midfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #41
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,648
Guys.

Hey, guys!

Yes, we all know more gas and more speed is better in the sand. That is not news, nor advanced technique.

The difficulty is when one must slow down for obstacles, tight turns, deep whoop sections (like the ones I rode in Baja Sunday- no, you don't just "skip over the tops of them" like I would on the small bike).

I just struggle. Does anyone NOT?

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #42
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Guys.

Hey, guys!

Yes, we all know more gas and more speed is better in the sand. That is not news, nor advanced technique.

The difficulty is when one must slow down for obstacles, tight turns, deep whoop sections (like the ones I rode in Baja Sunday- no, you don't just "skip over the tops of them" like I would on the small bike).

I just struggle. Does anyone NOT?
RPMs at this point....I just road 350 miles of mojave trail on my 950...342 miles were sand........there are miles of curved 2 track that are lined with cholla (high penalty for error)...some turns required dropping down in mph...but that doesn't mean chopping the throttle and diving the nose...downshift keep the rpms up...weight the outside peg and look to your exit point of the turn.....but stay on the gas....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Old 03-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #43
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
there are miles of curved 2 track that are lined with cholla (high penalty for error)...some turns required dropping down in mph...but that doesn't mean chopping the throttle and diving the nose...downshift keep the rpms up...weight the outside peg and look to your exit point of the turn.....but stay on the gas....
I know that section- very fun, very fast. Me likey!

Nobody is suggesting panic, chop throttle, mash brakes. What I'm saying is that it is not always possible to keep the bike at speed and on a plane, like the water ski analogy. There are times when one must suck it up, use the best throttle and clutch control.

I believe that's where our friend the OP is struggling, and I think it helpful to at least acknowledge we all do, in some way.

High-speed, open desert (or sweeping, open curves) in deep sand is downright easy. It's the low-speed stuff that is the challenge.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #44
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

don't try to chew gum at the same time and everything will be fine
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #45
FakeName