Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #6916
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeg View Post
Did you know getting your hands on a set of Vario Cases is almost impossible. Had SF BMW order mine today, said there were none in the US to be had. And they aren't sure when they will be able to get more. ODD!!
San Jose BMW has many sets of the Vario Cases and the Back Boxs on the shelf at the ready. John has fully stocked accessories for the new Water Boxer.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 AM   #6917
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeg View Post
Did you know getting your hands on a set of Vario Cases is almost impossible. Had SF BMW order mine today, said there were none in the US to be had. And they aren't sure when they will be able to get more. ODD!!
Mine were ordered with the bike. Still waiting for both (cases and bike).
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:35 AM   #6918
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
When a bike is estimated to sell about 200k in 8 years (which easily translates to 20k first year), I don't think a central dealer in a big country (that is also the manufacturing country of the bike) will have a problem selling 250 cases. :)
Germany is also the bigest market for BMW motorcycles. wonder why
Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #6919
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
Not seen one except for the accessories catalogue. Not buying one myself, maybe RichBMW has seen a pic?
Just the one you have
Old 03-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #6920
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
My dealer says mid April for delivery to BMW Germany, then a week to get to the UK

He could not give me any info re availability of tinted screens, sorry.
MID APRIL?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #6921
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
MID APRIL?
Why do you complain? you allready have your bike. Most of us are still waiting for that call from the dealer to set us free.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #6922
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Came across this curious post while perusing an Italian language Multistrada forum. There was a thread from someone who had test-ridden the new GS, which drew this contribution from another poster on what had been holding up GS deliveries. I will quote the relevant bit, in google translation:

'... only the magazine IN MOTO had the courage to make things clear. "Choosing to use a fork 37 mm (instead of 41) is the source of all evil ... engineers and testers have had to deal with problems of stability of the vehicle, caused by excessive flexibility of the fork ... to solve the problems of handling it was necessary to to make changes "on the run". Specifically, the "evil" of GS is hiding in the area of the top plate of the steering, which the model 2013 is fixed to the fork tube with two aluminum end caps that screw on the rods themselves ... because of the vibrations, you unscrew the fork caps and in the worst case the top plate can be disconnected from the steering fork. In these cases, the pilot no longer has control of the bike ... in Monaco have redesigned the new fork legs, which are mounted and punched in place of those currently present on models already products ... therefore, in contrast to what have wrongly said and written in many, the change is not a "detail", rather it is a complex operation which involves the removal of the Telelever and a delicate punching ... " '

The material between the double quotes is claimed to be from the magazine article. Bear in mind that this is in translation, and also that the poster appears, from other comments in the post, to be somewhat sceptical with respect to BMW.

Bear in mind also that the report merely elaborates on what has already been reported and cited in this thread, for example at Motorrad online here.

Apologies if these details came out earlier - I have not read all recent pages. And of course, the In Moto report (the mag title too is translated - did they mean the Spanish title En Moto?) might not be accurate. If not, doubtless someone here will correct it.

I can't quite swallow that a 4mm reduction in diameter of the Telelever fork must cause difficulties, as surely they could simply increase wall thickness to maintain stiffness. But perhaps they wanted to avoid the weight penalty. IIRC from the launch material, they cut the diameter so that the fork could clear the radiators.

It is also far from clear that the "stability" issue during testing alluded to in the report is connected with the "tankslapper" phenomena reported by some journalists at the launch event. I'd expect a tankslapper to arise from too much rigidity, not too little. In contrast, excess flex could easily generate high-speed weaves.
This is no attack on your comments but to the article you refer to.

Oh my God. More fuel to the rumor mill.

Are there anyone that knows the material thickness of the new fork tubes as well as the specification of the materials used? I don't think so. If these people don't have access to the specifications and details regarding stiffness of the tubes then I just want to say "shut the front door". Is it something you think or is it something you know for a fact? Don't forget that employees from BMW Motorrad's competitors are also writing in all these forums. There are lots of people that wants to put this new 1200GS LC in a bad light because their business will be affected negatively by the success this new GS is going to have. All this with good reason. There is plenty of potential in the adventure market but BMW Motorrad will take the major part of this with the new GS no matter of how many negative rumors people try to spread on the internet.

Spreading rumors about the reason for the dead of a journalist in South Africa is totally tasteless. Don't you have any shame in life.

Take a good hard look at the track record. You can find lots of GS's that has been around the world many times. Sure you can also find people that are able to break their GS into pieces. Are these GS bikes durable? Yes. Can you break them? Yes. A really good recipe for disaster is to buy half the Touratech catalog and hang 30 kg of laser cut "protection" junk on your GS and then add the biggest panniers and fill them up with stuff you don't need including 10 kg tool kit and then try to climb a mountain where even a hard core motocross bike will wet it's pants. It will break.

I guess that less then five percent of the miles/km's ridden on the GS's are off-road. I believe that the people at BMW Motorrad have done a great job when developing the new GS. They have made a bike that focus on the type of riding their customers do. Some GS owners fall outside the focus group (hard core off-road riders) but you can not please everybody all the time.

A last word to those that are afraid of any recalls or technical issues with a new motorcycle model. Wait. Don't order the new GS and if you already have one on order then cancel it. For the rest of us that are realistic to the fact that this is a new product with limited testing under the belt and probability that there will be issues: Enjoy your new ride.

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #6923
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Why do you complain? you allready have your bike. Most of us are still waiting for that call from the dealer to set us free.
Heh I can understand him.

When I first got my 2007 (in... erm 2007), when I was running it in (first weekend, two days after delivery - 1000km done in 3 days), I also visited a city 300km away where the best Touratech/Wunderlich importer was based. I got the bits I wanted and actually never added anything else to the bike except in two special occassions (one was when I found some good second hand bits and the other when I wanted to tune it a bit to "refresh" it).
So I guess (like me) he wants the bike to become "perfect" (by his measure) the soonest possible and before that "something" (arguably small) is missing in the picture.

Both of you are in better position than those that cannot have the bike yet because they haven't even ordered it (although want it). :)
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #6924
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Are there anyone that knows the material thickness of the new fork tubes as well as the specification of the materials used? I don't think so.
I won't comment on your whole post as my take is already known (and more than 50% agrees with your take).

I just want to comment on this little phrase. Actually fork thikness has always been a measure expressed to describe how stiff the front is.

IIRC 2004 GS had thinner tubes and then they thickened them in some later revision? (was it 40 and they made it 42?) I am not sure after all these years (a check in reprom might verify, no time now).
Thing is that fork thickness is not unimportant and IS related to geometry in general, weight, weight distribution etc.

I really hope they did it right (going down to 37!). But I do expect first facelift to have thicker tubes ALL OVER again. Let's hope we are all well and see what happens.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #6925
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 280
Local dealer got theirs on Friday

Going to demo one next Monday(weather permitting) to decide what I am going to order
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #6926
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiascronwell View Post
looks like the 1200 lc has a hassle free final drive oil change due to a filler plug located above the housing.
Give them one point for not having to remove the wheel to refill the drive, Subtract 10 points for the fact that the fill is STILL IN THE WRONG F'ING PLACE!!!
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #6927
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Is there a photo of a new GS with the tinted screen?

Sorry, you may have seen this picture before.

Here is an other one.

Source: http://acidmoto.ch/cms/content/news/...-r1200-gs-2013

MaxReving screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 05:52 AM
Old 03-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #6928
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Give them one point for not having to remove the wheel to refill the drive, Subtract 10 points for the fact that the fill is STILL IN THE WRONG F'ING PLACE!!!
Where is the right place?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #6929
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
?

Where is the right place?

EDIT: Oups, I come second.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #6930
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Heh I can understand him.

When I first got my 2007 (in... erm 2007), when I was running it in (first weekend, two days after delivery - 1000km done in 3 days), I also visited a city 300km away where the best Touratech/Wunderlich importer was based. I got the bits I wanted and actually never added anything else to the bike except in two special occassions (one was when I found some good second hand bits and the other when I wanted to tune it a bit to "refresh" it).
So I guess (like me) he wants the bike to become "perfect" (by his measure) the soonest possible and before that "something" (arguably small) is missing in the picture.

Both of you are in better position than those that cannot have the bike yet because they haven't even ordered it (although want it). :)
I meant it as a funny way to make it seem less like a problem. Not all my accessories are in yet, but at the moment that isn't a problem.