Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Why not go for a pair of quarter litre bikes, such as the new Honda CRF250L; one for you and one for your wife?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #17
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
I've had heated grips on three BMW's and will tell you heated grips are over-rated. I prefer to layer clothing and not risk sweating and then freezing.
I agree with much of what you wrote, but your heated grip comment sounds like you're from Alabama; note that the OP is from Ontario. Heated grips here extend the already too short season. Heated grips beat thick winter gloves for control.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:35 AM   #18
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
Armchair research is cool. But plunk your backside down on the bike and see how it feels. If you're not legal to ride, at least have someone hold the bike up and sit there in the riding position making vroom-vroom noises. A whole lot of bikes that sound appealing in the articles may not fit you worth a shucks.

Fitting a motorcycle is a lot like fitting a helmet. You've got to place a helmet on your head to know if it actually fits and is comfortable enough to really wear.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #19
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I agree with much of what you wrote, but your heated grip comment sounds like you're from Alabama; note that the OP is from Ontario. Heated grips here extend the already too short season. Heated grips beat thick winter gloves for control.
Point taken. In that climate I can see where the grips would be a valuable amenity. And I've known others who really liked them.

But for me, I settled on a set of winter gloves that have worked well down to 25* Fahrenheit and blowing sleet and snow -- without turning on the heated grips.

And all that said (drum roll please), I no longer ride in that type of weather. At age 58 some things that were attractive to me at age 35 just no longer exert the same draw.

Sooo ... I'll stay in the crib with my bride (no heated grips needed to be hot) and you young bucks can tackle the harsh elements on two wheels. Just saying ...
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #20
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Heated grips beat thick winter gloves for control.
I saw a comparison test recently (can't remember where or what) in which one of the bikes had heated grips and another had enduro-style handguards. Testers reported the hand guards did more than the heated grips to keep their hands warm. I suppose having them together would be ideal, but something else to think about.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
navipro OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
You guys are amazing! So many valuable responses!
I have looked and sat at the dealership on all of the abovementioned bikes. Some feel better than others. I really liked the seating position on Bimmer. Suzuki did not impress me much. It was a bit too low for me, kinda borderlining the point when I have to lift my foot to switch gears.
But I think I have to look at it again. Will drop by the dealership tonight
navipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #22
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by navipro View Post
Suzuki did not impress me much. It was a bit too low for me, kinda borderlining the point when I have to lift my foot to switch gears.
But I think I have to look at it again. Will drop by the dealership tonight
If you do, sit on the 1000. It's the same chassis with a different seat. Then you'll know exactly what the effect will be of swapping seats.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #23
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
I saw a comparison test recently (can't remember where or what) in which one of the bikes had heated grips and another had enduro-style handguards. Testers reported the hand guards did more than the heated grips to keep their hands warm. I suppose having them together would be ideal, but something else to think about.
I think you are right. My V-Strom had heated grips + handguards, and was toasty warm. My CBF has only heated grips, and they don't always get warm enough. I have priced out BarkBusters for it, but haven't ordered them yet.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #24
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,568
VStrom. Higher seat and lower pegs.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #25
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
VStrom. Higher seat and lower pegs.
Still think you should look at the Ural bc of weather issues and ease of use with your wife but I can't see this (see pic) as cramped:

Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #26
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsaragazzi View Post
still think you should look at the ural bc of weather issues and ease of use with your wife....
+1
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #27
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,568
http://cycle-ergo.com/ will show you seating positions for pretty much any bike you might want to try out.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #28
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
If you do, sit on the 1000. It's the same chassis with a different seat. Then you'll know exactly what the effect will be of swapping seats.
When I was shopping for a commuter bike I thought the V-Strom 1000 was one of the most comfortable bikes I had ever sat on and I'm 6'3".

I might also add... Riding 2-up is the one time you need liter class power on an Adventure Bike. All other times smaller and lighter is better. If you are an experenced rider that like to let it rip, having a passenger on a 650 takes the fun out of it. While my 950 will still thrill 2-up.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #29
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
http://cycle-ergo.com/ will show you seating positions for pretty much any bike you might want to try out.
Well that killed a few minutes of a boring day.

I couldn't resist putting myself on every bike known to man. Then I decided to play with the passenger function, even though I never carry a passenger. I was disappointed that it wouldn't let me put a passenger on a Ural.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote